Waitlisted at 3 schools, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whitecoat33

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been wait-listed at three schools and I am preparing for the worst scenario at the moment for a reapplication. I am currently in my last semester of undergraduate and I have a 3.92 cpga/3.91 sgpa at a rank 30-40 university. I have strong letters and EC's, and believe that there is not much lacking in terms of that, but I assume my application is weak due to my low MCAT score of 497 (128/121/124/124). I plan to retake the MCAT in May and go for a reapplication because it feels like hope is lost with these schools. I know that there is a lot of movement in May/June, but I should not rely on that right? I've seen many threads saying not to send a letter of interest/intent, but do you think it would be okay to send one?

Mainly I would like some input on reapplying, I have not applied to any MD's so my plan is to submit my primary application to a throwaway school in early June since I wont know my MCAT score, just to be verified. Should I do the same with AACOMAS and send my primary to a throwaway school, and then send my primary to all schools once I receive my new MCAT, as I would not want to be screened out due to my low CARS section at some schools.

Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you’ve got a solid plan, and I think your self-assessment is accurate!

That said, it’s srill entirely possible that you could get pulled off a wait list! Don’t lose hope, but *do* plan on reapplying until you have an accept.

If you can get a high MCAT, though, your options will probably be a lot stronger the second time around!

Reactions: 1 users
I think you’ve got a solid plan, and I think your self-assessment is accurate!

That said, it’s srill entirely possible that you could get pulled off a wait list! Don’t lose hope, but *do* plan on reapplying until you have an accept.

If you can get a high MCAT, though, your options will probably be a lot stronger the second time around!
Thank you, do you think it would be wise to send a letter of intent to my top choice? I could also update them I am on course for all A's this semester, but it isn't official yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your letter of intent would have teeth until you get into another school first. That way you can tell your top choice that you're willing to give up your seat at another school if you're accepted to theirs. That being said, if you feel the need to write one and can't sleep at night because you're thinking about it, I'd just go ahead. Make sure that the school is receptive to letters of intent first. I'd probably leave off the grades bit though but add any extracurricular or research updates if you have them.

I don't think your letter of intent would have teeth until you get into another school first. That way you can tell your top choice that you're willing to give up your seat at another school if you're accepted to theirs. That being said, if you feel the need to write one and can't sleep at night because you're thinking about it, I'd just go ahead. Make sure that the school is receptive to letters of intent first. I'd probably leave off the grades bit though but add any extracurricular or research updates if you have them.
I know my letter wouldn't have much teeth which is why I am hesitant, but I have a lot of personal reasons for attending a certain school as I fit their mission very well. Do you know if VCOM, WVSOM, or PCOM GA/South GA are receptive to letters of intent? These are the schools I am waitlisted at and I have strong reasons for each (VCOM- open house/shadowed with a doctor that had rotation students from their campus, WVSOM- Born in rural Ohio and visited West Virginia many times as a child, PCOM is mostly for fitting with my mission in rural medicine/primary care but mostly due to close distance from Florida), and I will only send one school a letter. Should I call admissions to find out whether they accept letters of intent? Thank you for the advice

It's a good idea to call or email the school to find out if they accept letters of intent. Good luck!

I'm in the same situation as you. I hope it all works out.

Thank you, do you think it would be wise to send a letter of intent to my top choice? I could also update them I am on course for all A's this semester, but it isn't official yet.
I sent a thank you email to my interviewers at WVSOM and was accepted but will be attending elsewhere. I don´t know how much it helped but apparently it didn´t hurt. They might be open to it. But for sure call to double check.

I know my letter wouldn't have much teeth which is why I am hesitant, but I have a lot of personal reasons for attending a certain school as I fit their mission very well. Do you know if VCOM, WVSOM, or PCOM GA/South GA are receptive to letters of intent? These are the schools I am waitlisted at and I have strong reasons for each (VCOM- open house/shadowed with a doctor that had rotation students from their campus, WVSOM- Born in rural Ohio and visited West Virginia many times as a child, PCOM is mostly for fitting with my mission in rural medicine/primary care but mostly due to close distance from Florida), and I will only send one school a letter. Should I call admissions to find out whether they accept letters of intent? Thank you for the advice

"Man, this kid must really like us if (s)he's sending us love letters. Rejection for sure!"-- said no adcom ever (I hope)...

Re your plan to reapply: Are you studying yet? You want a significant improvement (505 or higher, and want another couple points on practice tests as cushion), so you need to get on it soon and with a very targeted plan of attack. I'm not particularly well-versed on this, but I'd assume it takes somewhere around 600(?) hours at least to study for the mcat-- how close are you to that? If you're reapplying in June plus retaking the mcat, you need to already be moving pretty hard on both of those fronts.

IMO (and I'm not an expert or anything), as much as people dislike it, I'd encourage thinking about taking another year since it's getting so tight. Yes, you're losing another year of salary. That being said, I know quite a few middle-age docs who would trade large sums of money to be in their 20's for another year...

"Man, this kid must really like us if (s)he's sending us love letters. Rejection for sure!"-- said no adcom ever (I hope)...

Re your plan to reapply: Are you studying yet? You want a significant improvement (505 or higher, and want another couple points on practice tests as cushion), so you need to get on it soon and with a very targeted plan of attack. I'm not particularly well-versed on this, but I'd assume it takes somewhere around 600(?) hours at least to study for the mcat-- how close are you to that? If you're reapplying in June plus retaking the mcat, you need to already be moving pretty hard on both of those fronts.

IMO (and I'm not an expert or anything), as much as people dislike it, I'd encourage thinking about taking another year since it's getting so tight. Yes, you're losing another year of salary. That being said, I know quite a few middle-age docs who would trade large sums of money to be in their 20's for another year...
I’m getting better at the exam now, by no means did I take the exam not prepared as I studied for 8 months around 7 hours a day. I scored 509/505/504 on aamc full lengths but exam day was just very different for me. I definitely won’t take the exam if I’m not ready but if I can score at least 502ish I should get into a DO school, which I am fine with. My GPA and EC’s are great enough I’d say.

I’m getting better at the exam now, by no means did I take the exam not prepared as I studied for 8 months around 7 hours a day. I scored 509/505/504 on aamc full lengths but exam day was just very different for me. I definitely won’t take the exam if I’m not ready but if I can score at least 502ish I should get into a DO school, which I am fine with. My GPA and EC’s are great enough I’d say.

Yup, that's intentional and done a number of different way. IMO the first 2 passages of each section are really hard to make you waste time and to get in your head. So by the time you get to all the easier stuff at the back end, you're too fried to maximize them. This isnt present in the practice tests, and is one reason why people do better on the practice tests.

Doesn't really answer the original question, but hopefully helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't hurt to send a letter of intent, especially when schools want to fill a seat late in the cycle!
I think I am going to send one, does anyone here have a recommendation on which school would be best to attend in terms of academics/school life? I’m planning on PCOM South Georgia because it’s close and I have some good reasons with their mission, but it is their first class so that’s why I am worried. However, PCOM has a good name so I’m not too worried as well. Any thoughts?

Also PCOM south GA has only 55 seats, I don’t think it’s worth to send a letter to PCOM Georgia (main campus) as their mcat is around 504-505 average, which I am much lower, I just got waitlisted and I’m certain I won’t be taken off for that one.

Just wanted to update you all, I just got into a medical school and it feels unreal, didn't think I would make it with a 497 especially with a 121 (13th percentile cars). Average score for the school is like 504. My GPA was quite high, and I just had a bad test day without having biochemistry completed in undergrad so that was a mistake. I also wanted to ask since I am registered to take the MCAT on June 1st, will taking it inform my school somehow? I might as well just take it to see where I would land because I studied for this exam again, but I dont want to make any mistakes to where the school may find out. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!

I have read on other threads that retaking an MCAT post admittance doesn’t matter at all. You’re a total glutton for punishment wanting to take it again, but I totally get it! Part of me wants to retake it just to prove to myself that I could do better.

So excited that you got in, though! You’ll do great

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!

I have read on other threads that retaking an MCAT post admittance doesn’t matter at all. You’re a total glutton for punishment wanting to take it again, but I totally get it! Part of me wants to retake it just to prove to myself that I could do better.

So excited that you got in, though! You’ll do great
Thank you, I will end up retaking, basically went through months of studying for it haha, just to see if I could score better than my terrible 497. Thanks for the input earlier and I wish you the best!

What's the point re-taking?
What if you score <497?

I think you shouldn't re-take MCAT unless you are reapplying for 2020.

Thank you, I will end up retaking, basically went through months of studying for it haha, just to see if I could score better than my terrible 497. Thanks for the input earlier and I wish you the best!

Don’t waste your time retaking the MCAT. VCOM’s average MCAT is 499, and most of their students still end up passing boards, graduating, and matching. You’ll probably do fine there.

Yeah, I have decided to not take the MCAT, was just tough telling my parents, but I truly don’t want to pass this opportunity. Will not showing up just count as an attempt and not go on my record?

Just tell you parents its not worth re applying and they will understand. You already accepted into med school so why waste time. Just enjoy your free time now because you will be very busy once you are in med school.
All the best!!!

Just tell you parents its not worth re applying and they will understand. You already accepted into med school so why waste time. Just enjoy your free time now because you will be very busy once you are in med school.
All the best!!!
Thanks, they did understand, they just wanted to see if I could get a higher score on my MCAT is all. But I tried emphasizing that its just a waste haha. Plus I kinda didnt want to retake it. Main reason was because my AAMC Full lengths were 511/516/513 this time around.

So you got into PCOM? Congrats!

Applying to MD and DO schools this upcoming cycle.

PCOM is one of the schools I’m looking at.

So you got into PCOM? Congrats!

Applying to MD and DO schools this upcoming cycle.

PCOM is one of the schools I’m looking at.
I got into VCOM, still on waitlist for PCOM and WVSOM but I will be attending VCOM

Just wanted to update that I did get accepted to all three schools, for some motivation to future applicants that are ORM with similar stats!

Reactions: 4 users