Waitlist Support Group: DO Schools 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor007007

Reaction score
Since May 15th is around the corner thought this might be a good thread to create specific to DO schools.

Please provide updates!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Do anyone know which schools have had movement so far?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently on 5 WL's, good luck to everyone! Hoping for some good news in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
On the waitlist for NSU. Today I made a thread with the same title under "pre-medical DO" before seeing this one, so my mistake!

No movement at LECOM as far as I know, only school I applied to this cycle

PCOM's waitlist has not moved yet if SDN is an indicator. Probably after the AACOMAS traffic day.

Last edited:
Anyone know how strictly the traffic rules are enforced, or are they guidelines like the amcas traffic rules?

Anyone know how strictly the traffic rules are enforced, or are they guidelines like the amcas traffic rules?
  1. Colleges of osteopathic medicine may begin extending offers of admission at any time after the interview. Applicants will be asked to submit necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following AACOMAS traffic guideline schedule:
  2. Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
  • Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
  • Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
  • Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
  • After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.
Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn.

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Colleges of osteopathic medicine may begin extending offers of admission at any time after the interview. Applicants will be asked to submit necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following AACOMAS traffic guideline schedule:
  2. Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
  • Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
  • Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
  • Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
  • After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.
Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn.
Yes, I've read this multiple times but how strict are they

Yes, I've read this multiple times but how strict are they
It looks like after May 15th, all AACOMAS does is release the names of students who have paid multiple deposits. Then each school can implement their own rules which includes taking away your acceptance if you paid multiple deposits. So, how strict they are depends on each individual institution.

Hopefully AACOMAS has better luck with enforcing traffic deadlines than AAMC. Their new guidelines have been an entire mess for applicants that are wait listed.

DO waitlists are going to move way more slowly this year, because the MD waitlists are moving way more slowly. People are holding DO seats while waiting forever to hear back from MD schools, so everything is backed up. Thank the AAMC.

Schools like BCOM and MSUCOM have movement. I believe MSUCOM started pulling people off Tier 2 waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
I think AZCOM, KCOM, and MUCOM have started pulling off their lists as well. I’m not exactly sure when to expect a big wave of waitlist movement anymore lol

Again, just a reminder if you have been accepted to a school and will be attending please remove yourself from other wait lists!

Reactions: 5 users
So silent this year with WL movement MD and DO. It sucks :(

• Sad
I'm surprised by how little movement there has been. I had the impression there would be a lot starting May 15th haha

I'm surprised by how little movement there has been. I had the impression there would be a lot starting May 15th haha

The reason is because AMCAS changed their traffic guidelines. Apparently now students are allowed to hold multiple acceptances but must confirm to enroll by a certain time. There is a thread on the different dates for the different programs in which all applicants have to confirm to enroll by: 2018-2019 "Commit to Enroll" Deadlines

The reason this sucks is that since it is not enforced and use a guideline many individuals could hold these acceptances until the confirm to enroll deadline. If you go to the link there are some schools which have this deadline until MID-JULY :grumpy::grumpy:

Since the MD schools will have little movement until the confirm to enroll deadlines where students will finally scramble to make their final decision, there will be little DO movement, because many people do prefer MD over DO.

Which is why, it is important, and I cannot stress this enough: IF YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED BY A SCHOOL REMOVE YOURSELF FROM OTHER WAIT LISTS.

The reason is because AMCAS changed their traffic guidelines. Apparently now students are allowed to hold multiple acceptances but must confirm to enroll by a certain time. There is a thread on the different dates for the different programs in which all applicants have to confirm to enroll by: 2018-2019 "Commit to Enroll" Deadlines

The reason this sucks is that since it is not enforced and use a guideline many individuals could hold these acceptances until the confirm to enroll deadline. If you go to the link there are some schools which have this deadline until MID-JULY :grumpy::grumpy:

Since the MD schools will have little movement until the confirm to enroll deadlines where students will finally scramble to make their final decision, there will be little DO movement, because many people do prefer MD over DO.

Which is why, it is important, and I cannot stress this enough: IF YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED BY A SCHOOL REMOVE YOURSELF FROM OTHER WAIT LISTS.
Some of the CTE dates are in June thankfully. Hopefully that makes a difference.

I also want to add that it looks like a lot of the dates that are in July are a lot of the “elite” level MD schools (wash u, duke, etc.) and with NO offense to anyone in DO (me included) I feel like if someone was going to get into one of those one way or another, they probably would have gotten into another MD school already and would have given up their seat at any D.O. school. . Maybe they applied super small, but my guess is if they were gonna shoot that high they wouldn’t have applied to DO schools anyways? Also for some of the commit dates that are close to orientation, people might just commit ahead a time since they have to find a place to live?

So my guess is maybe expect that “bug wave” to come sometime in June, unless there’s a lot of DO—> other DO movement

Upper tier DO waitlists occur due to students getting MD acceptances. AAMC new traffic guide lines make it so that MD schools will offer way less acceptances off their waitlists unless they know how many students are CTE'd.

I think that is frustrating because the MD student that was holding one acceptance will now be more likely to not wait to get pulled off a waitlist at their top choice because this will occur around July and might have difficulty finding apartments, or feel rushed to finish everything, not to mention pay another deposit. This will likely trickle down to DO schools offering less waitlist acceptances...

Upper tier DO waitlists occur due to students getting MD acceptances. AAMC new traffic guide lines make it so that MD schools will offer way less acceptances off their waitlists unless they know how many students are CTE'd.

I think that is frustrating because the MD student that was holding one acceptance will now be more likely to not wait to get pulled off a waitlist at their top choice because this will occur around July and might have difficulty finding apartments, or feel rushed to finish everything, not to mention pay another deposit. This will likely trickle down to DO schools offering less waitlist acceptances...
Idk I think MD is still preferred over DO even with a later acceptance but who knows. We will see.

Idk I think MD is still preferred over DO even with a later acceptance but who knows. We will see.
Yes of course, I was just saying the person with one MD acceptance will maybe not wait for his top choice, and because he does not wait, the school he is currently looking at will not pull someone else from the waitlist who has a DO acceptance but not a MD one. I still think there will be almost the same amount of waitlist movement if not just a little less, albeit later than previous years,

Mind my ignorance, what DO schools are considered upper tier?

Mind my ignorance, what DO schools are considered upper tier?
Based on SDN consensus: public schools and older, more established schools.

On the bright side it looks like there’s some MD movement already, and I’m not exactly sure but I feel like a lot of people who have one MD and are still waiting might be more inclined for the CTE if the one they got into was earlier? After that I think it’s finally “set” where they’re going right? I’m just a little surprised a majority of DO schools HAVENT had any real movement yet

On the bright side it looks like there’s some MD movement already, and I’m not exactly sure but I feel like a lot of people who have one MD and are still waiting might be more inclined for the CTE if the one they got into was earlier? After that I think it’s finally “set” where they’re going right? I’m just a little surprised a majority of DO schools HAVENT had any real movement yet
It's still fairly early. There will be some trickle down from MD movement soon since some CTE deadlines are coming up, I think then is when we'll start to see more DO school WL moving.

Can anyone summarize the timeframe of the MD's CTE deadlines @justalittlestar mentioned? I bet they are scattered and highly school dependent.

Maybe. For DO schools that start in July, I could see this scenario more likely. Or for some of us more cash strapped applicants... A lot of people do want to go MD over DO for w/e reasons. In the long scheme these deposits are a relatively small drop in the bucket compared to tuition and future earnings. Also, if someone paid to apply to 20-30 schools losing out on 1k in deposits to go to thier preferred school probably isn't that that big a deal to them. Probably no really good or predictable trends in this cycle.

Can anyone summarize the timeframe of the MD's CTE deadlines @justalittlestar mentioned? I bet they are scattered and highly school dependent.
Comprehensive list

There are a few June CTE deadlines and then the rest are in July

Comprehensive list

There are a few June CTE deadlines and then the rest are in July

July!?

The lack of movement is starting to get stressful
Yeah, I've started to hate the weekends, and I've developed an email/School-specific-SDN-thread refreshing ritual. This is hardly the state of mind I want to be in before starting M1.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m currently on one waitlist at the moment and it sucks no one can tell you where you stand on it. I’d really like to know if I should hold out hope or reapply. What is everyone else doing?

I’m currently on one waitlist at the moment and it sucks no one can tell you where you stand on it. I’d really like to know if I should hold out hope or reapply. What is everyone else doing?
you should get your app ready asap in case you don't get in.