Waitlist fafsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crowking312

Reaction score
If I am on the waitlist at a school, would it be frowned upon, hurt my chances to send my fafsa to the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I respectfully disagree with the above advice, you will not get any kind of penalty for submitting a FAFSA with their school code. It is best to get it done early. If you don't get pulled off of the waitlist until after the federal deadline to submit (June 30th I think) then you will get no federal loans and you will be ineligible for the grad plus loan. Furthermore IIRC some federal programs have limited funds, so they can be "first-come-first-serve." My advice is to submit it ASAP along with the other things that the above poster mentioned.

Schools will usually receive your FAFSA but they wont process it until you are accepted. You can enter multiple schools when you submit it as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I respectfully disagree with the above advice, you will not get any kind of penalty for submitting a FAFSA with their school code. It is best to get it done early. If you don't get pulled off of the waitlist until after the federal deadline to submit (June 30th I think) then you will get no federal loans and you will be ineligible for the grad plus loan. Furthermore IIRC some federal programs have limited funds, so they can be "first-come-first-serve." My advice is to submit it ASAP along with the other things that the above poster mentioned.

Schools will usually receive your FAFSA but they wont process it until you are accepted. You can enter multiple schools when you submit it as well.

I second this - a lot of schools will even tell you to send them the FAFSA after your interview just so they can get everything in order quickly if/when you're accepted. One of my schools deferred me but later changed it to an acceptance and having my aid info already submitted meant it was ready to go.

What if you are on like 4-6 waitlists? Should I send the FAFSA to each school?

What if you are on like 4-6 waitlists? Should I send the FAFSA to each school?
I just looked and you can add up to 10 schools on the original and send to additional schools once the 10 have received info if necessary. No penalty for sending it.