waiting to respond to interview invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afugazzi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying in neuro as well as to several prelim/TY programs. I got an interview invite at a TY program. Ideally, it would be great to try a coordinate the interview date with any interviews I get for neuro programs or other prelim programs in the same city. How long is it acceptable/smart/polite to wait to sign up for an interview date for the purpose of attempting to coordinate interview dates? Also, once you select an interview date, how flexible are programs about changing the date if you then get another interview in the same city and you want to coordinate? I don't want to risk pissing off the program or losing my interview date, but saving hundreds of dollars on flights is a big win...

Members don't see this ad.

Most people respond immediately. I agree it's nice to be able to batch your interviews (and you still might be able to) but you won't have the opportunity to do so if you lose the chance for an IV spot.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, respond ASAP otherwise you may lose your spot. You can always change the interview date after you hear back from your neuro program. Just let the PC know you would like to batch the interviews if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Respond as quickly as you can. There were instances last interview season where I felt as though I lived in constant travel mode. It definitely would have been easier to batch them but it didn't happen too often. I wound up turning down a specialty interview because I wasn't able to change dates. That said, it is definitely better IMHO to accept interviews and give ample time to politely decline if need be.

Respond ASAP. it's better to cancel or ask for a schedule change afterwards, than it is to be placed on a wait list and never get an interview at all.

Don't most Neuro programs want you to do a prelim year?
It's a mix. I know of 2 I applied to that don't allow TY, but others are ok with it.

Thanks for your advice on this, everyone :)