Waiting list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markitatillman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious! What is the reason behind the schools not telling you what number you are on the waiting list and how many people are on the waiting list. What is the big secret?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I completely agree! It's Not like knowing where you stand is gonna affect anything...not knowing just makes the process more stressful. I also don't understand how some schools don't rank their waitlist. How do they choose then?

I was also curious about writing a letter of interest to a university that I'm waitlisted at but very very interested in going to. I know a lot of other professional programs where doing this is more common but haven't heard anything about it for DPT. I know it wouldn't hurt but just not sure if it would be well-received or make any difference...

It's because the waiting list changes daily. Sure, they could tell you that you're number 12. Chances are that you could be number 2 within a matter of days though. Admissions doesn't want to deal with updating students by the day, so they prefer to just get back to you when/if they can.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's because the waiting list changes daily. Sure, they could tell you that you're number 12. Chances are that you could be number 2 within a matter of days though. Admissions doesn't want to deal with updating students by the day, so they prefer to just get back to you when/if they can.
I think this is true when a school has a rolling schedule for interviews - when the interviews are spread out across several months, the waitlist could change weekly. For schools that have a fixed few days for interviews, I really am not sure why (if you're waitlisted at the conclusion of the interviews) they cannot give you information about your placement on the waitlist. Maybe I'm being naive.... :confused:

Some schools will tell you what number you are for alternates and how many people are on the list.

I can tell you from personnal experience that being told where you stand reduces the stress. I was waitlisted last year at my first choice school. I asked them how many applicants they offered the openings to last year before all the spots were filled. I was in the middle of the range it took to fill up the spots last year. While I was still pretty nervous, I thought I had a good chance. I did get in but wasn't notified until April for a June start. Hang in there. I'm sure good news is on the way.

I think this is true when a school has a rolling schedule for interviews - when the interviews are spread out across several months, the waitlist could change weekly. For schools that have a fixed few days for interviews, I really am not sure why (if you're waitlisted at the conclusion of the interviews) they cannot give you information about your placement on the waitlist. Maybe I'm being naive.... :confused:

My school has fixed interview days. It still changes pretty rapidly within the first few months after acceptance letters go out.

Admissions will not even talk to people about what they can do better for next application cycle until May/June when the new class has been established lol.

i know some schools dont release their waitlist positions to applicants bc ive heard some schools will offer guaranteed admission to the top 5 or 10 applicants when they apply next year. So if they release the positions of applicants and they know they will have guaranteed acceptance next year, they will definitely apply-which in theory reduces the number of seats offered next year.