waiting game, or slim chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

namtaro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
University: University of California, Davis
Major: Neurology, Physiology, Behavior (minors in Education and Psychology)
Overall GPA: 3.15 (subject to change)
Pre-Req GPA: 2.81 (subject to change; just retook Physiology, got an A to make up for C-)
GRE: 152V, 161Q, 5W

Extra-Curric: officer of Vietnamese Student Association for two years, clinical intern of Vietnamese Cancer Awareness Research Education Society for two years, volunteered at two elementary schools, worked at a tutoring center, worked at student dining services, currently working at a restaurant

Volunteer: 84 hours inpatient, 274 hours outpatient

Applied: Boston U, CSU Fresno, CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, CSU Sacramento, Midwestern (Illinois), Midwestern (Arizona), Northern Arizona, Hampton, Samuel Merritt, Shenadoah, U of Washington, U of Maryland Eastern Shore, Virginia Commonwealth, Western U of Health Sciences

Acceptances:

Rejections: CSU Northridge, Samuel Merritt

Interviews:

I've sent all of the updated to the schools that required them. I entered and tried to e-submit the academic update on PTCAS, but the website won't be fixed until 12/23. I've already received rejections while other schools are already conducting interviews. Would those schools reconsider me after I update my grades? Is this a waiting game, or are my chances looking slimmer?...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in much better position to say anything about GPAs (I have 3.14 / 3.11), but your prerequisite GPA is really low and probably doesn't meet the minimum cutoff, which means they won't look at your GPA, they will just automatically toss your application.

CSU Northridge: "A minimum 3.0 prerequisite GPA is required"
Samuel Merritt: You do meet the requirements, sorry, it was probably a combination of different factors
Boston U: "Courses taken to fulfill prerequisites must be completed with an overall prerequisite GPA of 3.0 or higher in order for the application to be considered"

The list probably goes on, but I am willing to wager that quite a few of the programs have a 3.0 minimum GPA cutoff. I have yet to find out if schools wait until the academic update to make a decision regarding admissions and interviews, however, and you do indeed have a C- turning into a A, so that may or may not boost your prerequisite GPA over 3.00. Have you calculated to find out?

Yea, both GPAs seems kind of low. Id say your chances are slim..but keep your head up and if you dont get in this year, use the extra year to retake some classes to boost your GPA and im sure next year will be different!

And this should go without saying, but retake every pre req in which you got lower than a B. If you can turn those into As, you should be golden!