Wait-list Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the deadline for students who have to choose between two schools right now? Is it just up to each individual school?
It is up to the school and the student, but 10 business days is common.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. If you asked, I'm sure they'd give you an extension (if you needed one). It technically breaks AMCAS traffic rules (minimum of 5 business days until 30 days prior to medical school, at which point it can be reduced to 2 business days). The traffic rules may be more like strong suggestions though. https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf
Some schools are starting in 2 weeks so we are rapidly approaching the point where the recommendations blur.

so did you switch or stick with your former school?
Leaning towards sticking with the former school. Giving myself until noon to finalize my decision so who knows, could do a complete 180 by that point!

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted off a WL yesterday and was given 7 business days to decide.

Texas Hold 'Em: after a slow week, WL invitations are being dealt out like cards across a poker table!
On 5/17-5/18 I saw on various Texas message threads
1 Baylor WL offer
1 Lubbock WL offer
1 Dell WL offer
1 UTRGV WL offer
3 UTSW WL offers!
Of course if people switch to the newly offered spots, the cards will be reshuffled and dealt again!

It happens. It will be 2 days in a month or so.
I'd just like to thank you for what you're doing, and your infinite patience in the face of the same hasty questions time after time.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How much longer can we expect bulk movement to continue? I know movement continues up until orientation, but those seem like far and few in between.

Woah what schools start in 2 weeks?? I do not envy those people!

Today saw new waitlist acceptances at: UCLA, USC, UCI (a lot), Cornell, Sinai, Einstein, Brown, CO, SLU and Wayne State.
First of all, thanks so much for your faithful reporting!!

Second, do you know what schools might have overlap with university of az? Like if I see acceptances are happening at a similar school, it might mean spaces are opening up at UA?

It's my only hope of matriculating in the fall :)

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, thanks so much for your faithful reporting!!

Second, do you know what schools might have overlap with university of az? Like if I see acceptances are happening at a similar school, it might mean spaces are opening up at UA?

It's my only hope of matriculating in the fall :)
The AZ schools seem to take a good number of CA applicants.
Waitlists are not similar in this way, especially at state schools.

@gyngyn If there's been no (apparent) waitlist movement at a particular school so far, is it safe to conclude that there likely won't be much (or any) moving forward?

Reactions: 4 users
@gyngyn If there's been no (apparent) waitlist movement at a particular school so far, is it safe to conclude that there likely won't be much (or any) moving forward?
If there has been no waitlist movement at all, at this point it is safe to assume that there will less than an average amount. It does not mean that there will be none.
Once waitlist movement has started it is likely to continue until orientation.

Reactions: 6 users
so+you're+telling+me+there's+a+chance.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Reactions: 5 users
That is so what I wanted to hear because I was honestly assuming the worst

To those on WLs from schools that said they aren't receptive to updates and the WL is ranked....are you REALLY not sending any letters/updates? I'm feeling so paranoid and desperate that I'm starting to wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by following directions.

To those on WLs from schools that said they aren't receptive to updates and the WL is ranked....are you REALLY not sending any letters/updates? I'm feeling so paranoid and desperate that I'm starting to wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by following directions.
I'm not on any wait-lists like that, but it seems like a bad idea to send updates and other things to schools that explicitly tell you not to send anything.

Reactions: 6 users
If there has been no waitlist movement at all, at this point it is safe to assume that there will less than an average amount. It does not mean that there will be none.
Once waitlist movement has started it is likely to continue until orientation.

Are you referring to no waitlist movement throughout the entirety of the application cycle or just no waitlist movement after traffic day?

Are you referring to no waitlist movement throughout the entirety of the application cycle or just no waitlist movement after traffic day?

None at all because it means the excess acceptances haven't been depleted (a lot of schools over-accept).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

None at all because it means the excess acceptances haven't been depleted (a lot of schools over-accept).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
All schools over-accept. The goal is to accept a sufficient amount to yield the exact number of the best possible students to fill the class. This is usually around 2.5x the number of first year positions. When this number is depleted, you go to the waitlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody (Gyngyn or otherwise) heard about Quinnipiac/Netter? I've not heard a peep about movement, or lack thereof, or anything really... Thinking about calling next week just to see what's up. Wanting to make sure I'm not crazy!

Texas Weekend update:
2 accepted off TAMU WL (5/18 and 5/20)
1 accepted off Texas Tech WL 5/20
2 accepted off Baylor WL (5/20 and 5/21), both Out-of-state applicants
best wishes for a Manic Monday

Reactions: 2 users
Texas Weekend update:
2 accepted off TAMU WL (5/18 and 5/20)
1 accepted off Texas Tech WL 5/20
2 accepted off Baylor WL (5/20 and 5/21), both Out-of-state applicants
best wishes for a Manic Monday
What do you mean by "Manic Monday?"

What do you mean by "Manic Monday?"
Wild crazy demented anticipation of waitlist movement on Monday.

And...it's the title of an 80's song written by Prince, sung by the Bangles.

Reactions: 8 users
@gyngyn Just a question: I've been submitting updates via emails or through portals to my wait-listed schools for the last couple of months so I was wondering how much does this matter to admissions committees? Am I updating my file that will never be opened if it's towards the middle or bottom of a wait list or do committees look at all updates as they are submitted? I'm sure some schools handle things differently but could you please shed some light on this topic?

@gyngyn Just a question: I've been submitting updates via emails or through portals to my wait-listed schools for the last couple of months so I was wondering how much does this matter to admissions committees? Am I updating my file that will never be opened if it's towards the middle or bottom of a wait list or do committees look at all updates as they are submitted? I'm sure some schools handle things differently but could you please shed some light on this topic?
There are quite a few places where accepting updates is just a way to let applicants blow off steam. Sort of like those elevators that have a "close door (><)" function that doesn't really do anything but it makes the passenger feel that their desires were expressed.
I've never worked at a school where the updates had much function, so I can't help you there.

There are quite a few places where accepting updates is just a way to let applicants blow off steam. Sort of like those elevators that have a "close door (><)" function that doesn't really do anything but it makes the passenger feel that their desires were expressed.
I've never worked at a school where the updates had much function, so I can't help you there.

Does this mean that at your school (and probably others), updates aren't looked at?
Thank you for all the work that you do btw. Really appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does this mean that at your school (and probably others), updates aren't looked at?
Thank you for all the work that you do btw. Really appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I can't say that they aren't looked at by anyone, anywhere. The strength of the committee vote is going to stratify the waitlist, though. Logistically, many committees are no longer meeting in vivo and updates are not going to be a substantive reason to re-stratify a candidate.

I was accepted off the Emory wait list today. There is still hope everyone!

Reactions: 24 users
I had a dream that I got off the wait list for my #1 school

Waking up was a sad, sad thing

Reactions: 8 users
I had a dream that I got off the wait list for my #1 school

Waking up was a sad, sad thing
I had the same dream, but it was during the daytime, so for a moment I was actually unsure. Then I checked my email and my call log and the existential dread set in again.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got a call... and it wasn't a telemarketer. It was some woman ranting at me about my phone number and then a musical voice saying I've been prank dialed by prankdial.com :rage: I was sooo pissed! No one I know would do this to me while I'm waiting for a call from adcoms. :wtf: