Wait for stronger letter of recommendation before sending to programs or send as they come in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeiteeaasy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search for the answer to this and couldn't find it. Apologies in advance if this has already been asked.

US IMG here. I've submitted applications for this cycle but I am still waiting on my LoRs from US physicians. I have one that's processed in ERAS and ready to go, but it's based on a short rotation--I know it will be good but it will not likely be the strongest because of the length of clinical exposure. The other letters (which are either still processing or will be uploaded in the next few days) will likely be stronger based on length of clinical exposure and based on my performance in those rotations, with one of them being from a physician with great credentials.

I am worried that, if I send what would likely be my weakest LoR first, the programs that start sifting through their stacks will evaluate me based on that and send me packing. So with that said, should I wait for the stronger LoRs to come in and assign them all at once so they have the strongest picture of me as an applicant? Or is it more advantageous to just assign what I have as they come in so programs can take a look earlier?

Hoping @aProgDirector or someone with similar experience can shed some light on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs will wait to review anything in your application until you have at least 3 LOR's in place. Otherwise, it's a waste of my time. So chances are it doesn't matter whether you apply now and add letters later, or apply later with all letters in place. But you are correct -- if I choose to review apps with only 2 LOR's in place, and your second comes in, I'll review it. I might decide to wait for another letter, or decide to invite you, or decide to reject you. Different programs may have different processes.

Most programs will wait to review anything in your application until you have at least 3 LOR's in place. Otherwise, it's a waste of my time. So chances are it doesn't matter whether you apply now and add letters later, or apply later with all letters in place. But you are correct -- if I choose to review apps with only 2 LOR's in place, and your second comes in, I'll review it. I might decide to wait for another letter, or decide to invite you, or decide to reject you. Different programs may have different processes.

Thank you @aProgDirector for the quick response!

So would it be safe to conclude from what you've said, that the risk of submitting an incomplete set of possibly weaker LoRs early (the risk of being rejected) outweighs the risk of having a complete set of stronger LoRs submitted slightly later (the risk of not having first dibs on interview invites)? In other words, would having programs look at my complete application a week or two from now have a significant impact on the number of interview invites I might get compared to having programs possibly look at my incomplete application tomorrow?

Thank you again. I appreciate the insight!

There's no way to answer your question. And honestly, it probably doesn't matter much either way if we're talking about 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user