WAIT another year before reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxbruinxx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here's my situation. I'm in a post-bac. program right now, scheduled to finish in june of next year (2007). If i go a ahead and re-apply to med. schools this year, will they just resort to the same decision that was made on my last application since nothing really has changed/improved?

i was waitlisted at 4 schools, and part of me wants to reapply this year, take the Aug. mcat, but DON'T tell the schools to hold for Aug. scores, and then i'll just up date them later. but i'm concerned that they will see nothing new (at least initially) and automatically arrive at the same decision as the first time around...

any suggestions?? waiting to apply/take the mcat next year would mean:
1. only starting med. school in 2008 - 3 yrs. after undergrad
2. taking the CBT mcat....anxious about this

any thoughts would help out...

thx

Members don't see this ad.

I can understand why you want to start school earlier, but in the whole scheme of things, ONE extra year won't make that much of a difference. Medical schools like to see a significant change when you re-apply, with many applications asking you to explain what you have done since last re-applying. I waited a year before reapplying and significantly improved my application. As a result, I was successful in gaining admission at more than 1 U.S. allopathic school. I figured if I was going to re-apply, I was going to take the extra time to make sure I'd get in. After all, I didn't want to waste time or money. Applying is NOT fun, and I probably saved myself a huge headache this way.

GOOD LUCK whatever you decide! :luck: