Wahoo!

Oogilily

Soccer rules all
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I just took the OAT yesterday and did way better than I thought I would. Here's what I got:

QR: 350
Reading: 370
Biology: 360
G. Chem: 370
O. Chem: 400
Physics: 330

Total Science: 380
Academic Average: 360

Anyways, just for the new people looking at here for advice. If I had to do it all over again, I would just buy somebody's used Kapalan OAT review books or the Princeton Review mCAT books. I would then make flash cards of all the equations for physics, g. chem. and o. chem. and study those. And then I would do a lot of practice problems. If I would have done this from the beginning, I probably would have saved a lot of time. Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.

Good luck everybody! It's not as hard as you think. Just study hard, do practice problems, and you'll do just fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Great job!! I took it a week ago and you're right - it totally isn't as bad as you think it will be. Congrats on the awesome gchem score, that was my weak spot (320).

wow, congrats on your score! I was thinking about using someone's old kaplan matierlas, probably dated from 04-05 or 05-06, do you think that much of the material has changed or it's too old?

Members don't see this ad :)
oogilily, those are some awesome scores!!! if you don't mind me asking,how long did you study? and also how did ur kaplan practice tests scores relate to actual ones?

I have my friend's Kaplan MCAT study materials (notecards, books) from this past year. Would I be studying more info than I need for the OAT? I also have Kaplan's OAT book for 07-08

I studied for a good long time. I studied about 10 hours a week during school for about 2 months, and then I studied 6 hours a day for 3 weeks before the test. So I did put in quite a bit of time. I don't know if you can study too much for the physics, the o. chem., the gen chem., or the math section. If you just follow the material in the Kaplan courses you should be fine. That's what I did. I actually didn't even study for the biology section. Im a biology major and thought that was good enough. It just seemed like too much material. I did ok on it.

As for practice tests, I didn't take any from the Princeton Review mCAT books I used (I didn't use Kaplan). I scored a lot higher on the "official" practice test at opted.org (I was scoring 380+ on everything). So I think that test is easier than the real thing. I also did OAT Achiever tests and these were A LOT harder than the real test. It was almost discouraging. I don't know if I liked it all that much.

Anyways, just memorize all the equations, know the principles and concepts in everything, and then just do lots of practice problems!