w/PM&R is it possible to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...going into medicine I had always wanted to be involved in all sorts of stuff, I wont post again why I'm so excited about PMR and my experiences thus far...but, setting up a practice 9-5 might bore me, even the mix of private/hospital based PM&R might not be what I want forever. I was wondering if you all have heard of people in PM&R doing atypical/innovative type of stuff, research, projects and so on? Really, any stories/cool stuff might be inspirational...

More specifically though, I've always been hoping to help out somehow in other parts of the world, Medicines Sans Frontiers and so forth, however doing that kinda thing would be much easier with FM or EM. Are there opportunities for PM&R people overseas and/or in developing nations? How difficult is it to get involved in those sorts of things? Has anyone(i.e. hey you residents) heard of anything?

much thanks for your insight
take care
scm

Members don't see this ad.

i have the same feelings and would like to hear some comments. thanks in advance,
tim

prom,
no offense but your post is WAY off base. please don't give your 2 cents when you don't understand the question or the organizations it represents. it's not about being bored with medicine, it's about helping others. have you ever been to:
www.himalayanhealth.com
www.doctorswithoutborders.org
www.friendsofnepal.com
etc...

scm - i think there will be plenty of opportunities for us to contribute. Even if they don't exist now, we can find/invent ways to contribute.

peace and happiness

hey, thanks yeah i dont get bored in medicine per se, i dont think i ever will, just bored with routine was what I meant to imply. regardless, the latter question was most important to me. i had imagined myself going into FM or EM but for a large number of reasons/experiences I really think I would love PM&R, I'm just worried that there aren't the same types of opportunites to help out the underserved, especially those around the world...

the only thing I can think of , off the top of my head that is always written about, is land mines. i could see there being a need for artificial limbs, people who make them along w/rehab docs to help out, has anyone heard of nonprofits that do these sort of things? or other situations where PM&R docs can get involved...

re: PM&R around the world and Europe, is that really true? would it be so difficult to simply work in another country? who does rehab in the UK or northern Europe for instance?

much thanks everyone
scm