vvvv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tea822

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
adsda

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will be ok. Your GPA isn't terrible, definitely not brutally low. Study very hard for the MCAT and make sure you're scoring well on practice exams before you take it. Your ECs are decent too, more volunteering and finding some shadowing may be helpful. Try to destress as best as you can, its a marathon not a race. You will have at least 2 gap years assuming you aren't applying this cycle, so that gives you plenty of time to strengthen your application. It also gives you time to enjoy your life, as there's still a long road ahead. Don't forget to find something to destress and have some fun with, exercise helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on your MCAT you should be fine for DO schools but you need work on the ECs. Do you have any volunteering that benefits the underserved? Schools like to see your altruistic side. What is your cGPA and sGPA with every college course you have ever taken figured in? Including retakes. Just because your college didn't accept a class taken at CC doesn't mean that class won't be counted in your GPAs for AMCAS and AACOMS .

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response. I volunteer at a women's shelter and a food pantry as well however I don't know how many hours I have with them. My cumulative GPA and sgpa at my community college are 4.0 and 3.89 respectively.

Do you think I ruined my chances for an MD school though ? I will definitely apply to DO, but I'm just asking.

Depending on your MCAT you should be fine for DO schools but you need work on the ECs. Do you have any volunteering that benefits the underserved? Schools like to see your altruistic side. What is your cGPA and sGPA with every college course you have ever taken figured in? Including retakes. Just because your college didn't accept a class taken at CC doesn't mean that class won't be counted in your GPAs for AMCAS and AACOMS .

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Thank you for your reply and encouragement. Do you think that I should not apply this cycle , even to just DO schools? I plan on taking the MCAT in August. Any suggestions on what to do for the two year wait ?

You will be ok. Your GPA isn't terrible, definitely not brutally low. Study very hard for the MCAT and make sure you're scoring well on practice exams before you take it. Your ECs are decent too, more volunteering and finding some shadowing may be helpful. Try to destress as best as you can, its a marathon not a race. You will have at least 2 gap years assuming you aren't applying this cycle, so that gives you plenty of time to strengthen your application. It also gives you time to enjoy your life, as there's still a long road ahead. Don't forget to find something to destress and have some fun with, exercise helps!

Your chances for MD depend on what your cGPA and sGPA are with all of your grades included. And of course your MCAT. If you aren't taking your MCAT until
August you won't get your score back until September. That's could be late especially if your GPAs are lower. I'd wait to apply until 2018. You only want to do it once with the best possible application possible. By waiting you'll be able to buff up your ECs, know what your MCAT score is and then apply day one. Do you have your letters set to go?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So what if I decided to apply solely to DO schools, is it a good idea to apply this cycle or wait and re-take classes as a post bac? I am planning on doing a whole boat load of volunteering this summer. Graduating has given me a lot more free time that I plan on using wisely.
Thanks for the advice by the way ?

Your chances for MD depend on what your cGPA and sGPA are with all of your grades included. And of course your MCAT. If you aren't taking your MCAT until
August you won't get your score back until September. That's could be late especially if your GPAs are lower. I'd wait to apply until 2018. You only want to do it once with the best possible application possible. By waiting you'll be able to buff up your ECs, know what your MCAT score is and then apply day one. Do you have your letters set to go?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If you are feeling miserable and depressed you should also see a mental health professional.

As other posters have said- work hard to do well on the MCAT, and you will definitely be competitive for DO schools, maybe some MD- depends on MCAT. Chances for MD would be even higher if you are URM.

I think between your mental state and plan to take the MCAT in August/ beef up the weaker parts of your app, you'll do better to be patient and apply on the first day of the following cycle rather than rush and apply this time. Take the time to get your application (and self- get a counselor and work on getting in a good place mentally before you start school) in the best possible shape. Then apply once and successfully!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply and encouragement. Do you think that I should not apply this cycle , even to just DO schools? I plan on taking the MCAT in August. Any suggestions on what to do for the two year wait ?

Well, considering the title of your post, I would recommend giving yourself some time over the next year to rebuild confidence and strengthen your application at the same time. Going straight into medical school with unresolved issues will hurt you more than an extra gap year. Also, I imagine you haven't begun writing your personal statement or descriptions of your work/activities. These should be constructed carefully, not rushed. A gap year between graduating and applying will give you excess time to assemble a strong and well thought out application, as well as give you plenty of time to study for the MCAT.
However, if you do choose to apply, you will be applying very late in the cycle which will hurt your chances. Ultimately it depends on if you're in a hurry to begin medical school or not. An extra year or two wont hurt you in the long run, but can give you the opportunity to drastically increase your chances of success (or becoming competitive for MD vs DO).
Weigh your pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.