VUMC compelled to give patient records to state attorney general (June 2023)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not a lawyer, but there are exemptions to HIPAA for certain legal reasons. One example is diseases legally reportable to public health authorities.

It’s certainly concerning. I suspect someone could take a fight to them but they probably have pretty solid defense saying it’s for a billing fraud investigation even if it seems that’s just a cover for intimidation of hospital and patients.

And medical coding and billing is complex enough they’ll probably be able to find some issues even if no one was actually trying to game the system. but then again when has a major health system not tried to maximize billing?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not a lawyer, but there are exemptions to HIPAA for certain legal reasons. One example is diseases legally reportable to public health authorities.

It’s certainly concerning. I suspect someone could take a fight to them but they probably have pretty solid defense saying it’s for a billing fraud investigation even if it seems that’s just a cover for intimidation of hospital and patients.

And medical coding and billing is complex enough they’ll probably be able to find some issues even if no one was actually trying to game the system. but then again when has a major health system not tried to maximize billing?
The charts can also have the names redacted and deintified

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I presume the records are meant to identify patients and providers regarding puberty-blocking hormones or surgeries. I'm guessing anyone can claim the reasons for public health, but I would think the request would come from the state office of public health, not the AG office...?

I presume the records are meant to identify patients and providers regarding puberty-blocking hormones or surgeries. I'm guessing anyone can claim the reasons for public health, but I would think the request would come from the state office of public health, not the AG office...?
The claim was that the AG office was investigating billing fraud for the state insurance plans.

What those records are actually being used for...

But, a couple of patients have sued: Vanderbilt sued over patient data sharing amid transgender care probe