Vox Article on Pain Killer Abuse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mackey - like virtually every current & past president of the AAPM - will always put politics & advocacy before evidence or even the health of the population. He - especially him, an fMRI researcher - knows damn good and well that the VAST majority of CNP in the US has a huge psychological/emotional contribution that is not opioid responsive.

Lopez' article is more a reflection of his own superficial understanding of this topic than a debate.

With all due respect to Sean Mackey, whose work I really enjoy reading, I'm doubtful that his patient population at Stanford is substantially similar to, say, a community pain doc in WV.

The problem I see with opiates that never seems to get discussed is the unreasonable expectation they set for patients when first prescribed. The degree of pain relief possible with opiates in the first few weeks is tremendous, unsustainable, and impossible to attain with any other passive therapy. Patients need to fully comprehend that.

Reactions: 1 user
With all due respect to Sean Mackey, whose work I really enjoy reading, I'm doubtful that his patient population at Stanford is substantially similar to, say, a community pain doc in WV.

The problem I see with opiates that never seems to get discussed is the unreasonable expectation they set for patients when first prescribed. The degree of pain relief possible with opiates in the first few weeks is tremendous, unsustainable, and impossible to attain with any other passive therapy. Patients need to fully comprehend that.
Right. Works great for six weeks then the next 30 years are spent chasing tolerance in hopes to get back to that 6 week vacation from pain.