Volunteering with an Engineering Background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedChemE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a great experience with them in undergrad but is there an Engineers Without Borders chapter near you? While the solution design/implementation requires engineering expertise, the problems you're trying to solve are often very health/clinically related. My student chapter worked with a community to build a new sustainable clean water supply because their only water source at the time was causing frequent and severe gastrointestinal illness and there were a lot of health metrics we had to consider and monitor during each phase of the project. Depending on where you're located, you could look into being a an advisor for a student chapter at a local university or see if there's a professional chapter near you. The chapters and projects can be hit or miss but if you find a dedicated enough group it truly is an awesome experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a pre-med masters student and am trying to figure out possible Engineering-related volunteer opportunities that may be clinical.

I'd love to start up a tutoring workshop or science/engineering related kids group in the area, but I'm not sure how to do this, or if I will have the time/money to support it.

Does anyone know of potential areas of volunteering that may, one, help an application, but also be in demand involving engineering-related work? Or potential clinic-related work?
You might check to see if any of your local high schools participate in the build-a-robot competition I've heard about. They might like to have another advisor.

As far as clinical and engineering-related: is there a group that designs/fits prosthetics in town? You might inquire if they have a potential volunteer position. A VA hospital would be another place to ask.

My school has an Engineering World Health chapter - I believe they try to fix medical equipment and also do tutoring and other STEM-related events. Might be up your alley? Here's a list of chapters.