This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heymickey

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm currently a sophomore volunteering at a food bank/soup kitchen as well as working in a psychology research lab. I love volunteering at the food bank while I don't really like my research lab. I do a lot of grunt work (data filing, transcribing, etc), nothing mentionable.

Should I quit the research lab and dedicate that time to something I enjoy like my volunteering? If I quit the research lab, I won't put it on my application, since I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks, and I'd try to join another one by December, but one that I can actually do important stuff in. I also work as a scribe 18 hrs/week.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quit your research lab and join a new one. As you've only spent a few weeks, it's a good time to jump ship. Just make sure there aren't any loose ends and you leave on good terms. I see you're also considering food bank volunteering. Just make sure you're not overwhelming yourself come the new school year. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm currently a sophomore volunteering at a food bank/soup kitchen as well as working in a psychology research lab. I love volunteering at the food bank while I don't really like my research lab. I do a lot of grunt work (data filing, transcribing, etc), nothing mentionable.

Should I quit the research lab and dedicate that time to something I enjoy like my volunteering? If I quit the research lab, I won't put it on my application, since I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks, and I'd try to join another one by December, but one that I can actually do important stuff in. I also work as a scribe 18 hrs/week.

In my experience during my search for a research position, most labs won't let you do "important" stuff right away unless you have considerable research experience. Most require you to prove yourself in that particular lab (by starting from the bottom doing the grunt work) or have similar level experience.

Members don't see this ad :)

Welcome to research. It is boring.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm currently a sophomore volunteering at a food bank/soup kitchen as well as working in a psychology research lab. I love volunteering at the food bank while I don't really like my research lab. I do a lot of grunt work (data filing, transcribing, etc), nothing mentionable.

Have you discussed with your supervisor in the lab how your role could potentially change in the coming weeks? Have you communicated what you'd prefer to do?If you are set on quitting after that, be sure to give proper notice. Don't just stop showing up.

Research is over rated. Do the food bank.

Do what you enjoy, if you can’t discuss it with some excitement it’ll be clear you were trying to check a box. Writing your application essays will be hard if you don’t get a lot out of something, because there will be nothing to say.