This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tsunn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I can understand there are blocks (around 15) where you place your volunteer/EC/shadowing/research on a Med School application.
My question is this:
I volunteer at 3 places right now, which are all long-term (freshman year-until I *hopefuly* go off to med school).
The first is working with mentally disabled individuals (not clinical), the 2nd is the big brother/big sister program, and the third is at a clinic.
I haven't had any luck with shadowing yet (got a no for every clinic I could find within a 30 mile radius), but I'll continue trying with that.

It is starting to look like this is not enough, even though by the time I graduate I will have over 500 hours.
But if there are 15 blocks, and I can only fill out maybe 4... that just doesn't sound good.
I don't think I would be able to add another organization to my schedule, maybe 1 if I had too, but I don't want to take time away from the places I am currently volunteering because I truly love them.
Is filling out only 4 of the 15 blocks horrible?
Should I start volunteering at more places?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t have ANYTHING else?

Hobbies?
Sports?
Research?
Work?
Leadership?
Clubs?

The average applicant has 8 activities. Now these are definetly not all at once. But sprinkled out and spread over 3-5 years (depending on the time of application).

Volunteering is only one aspect of what you can put on the application in the experience section.

If you are engaged in research, either in a summer program or during the academic year - even if done for college credit- you can list that under "research".
If your research leads to a publication or a presentation at a meeting, you can list that.
If you win an award, you can list that.
If you engage in artistic endeavors like playing in an orchestra or taking part in a dramatic production, you can list that.
If you play sports, you can list that.
If you have hobbies/advocations, you can list them.
If you belong to a club on campus, you can list that.
If you have a leadership position in a club or a group, whether on campus or not, you can list it.
If you have a job, list it.
You should get some shadowing before you apply and you should list it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t have ANYTHING else?

Hobbies?
Sports?
Research?
Work?
Leadership?
Clubs?

The average applicant has 8 activities. Now these are definetly not all at once. But sprinkled out and spread over 3-5 years (depending on the time of application).

I am 25 so I do work part-time as well, I wasn't aware you could put work on there. But I am hoping to do some research next summer. For some reason I was under the impression that it could only be volunteer experiences, not hobbies! I do play the piano and am the founder of a book club in town, but I didn't think that was stuff you could put on the application (clearly I don't know that much about it haha).
Thank you for the reply, will keep all of this in mind! Since I'm able to add the additional/not volunteer stuff, I should be able to bring in around 8.

Volunteering is only one aspect of what you can put on the application in the experience section.

If you are engaged in research, either in a summer program or during the academic year - even if done for college credit- you can list that under "research".
If your research leads to a publication or a presentation at a meeting, you can list that.
If you win an award, you can list that.
If you engage in artistic endeavors like playing in an orchestra or taking part in a dramatic production, you can list that.
If you play sports, you can list that.
If you have hobbies/advocations, you can list them.
If you belong to a club on campus, you can list that.
If you have a leadership position in a club or a group, whether on campus or not, you can list it.
If you have a job, list it.
You should get some shadowing before you apply and you should list it.

Thank you for your reply! Thanks to you guys I am now realizing that you can post more than just the volunteer experiences in those blocks,
which is a huge, HUGE sigh of relief. Thanks again!!