volunteer vs. job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazgirl24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you rec: volunteering at the hospital or a job as a office assistance at a optometry office?

Members don't see this ad.

On whether your career goal is optometry or medicine. If you want to be a doctor, probably the hospital is a better bet. Maybe you can get a job there?

the problem is that i don't know what i want to do actually yet. It is going to be either of the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm... How about both? Earn your keep at the optometry office and volunteer at the hospital. Time permitting, of course. But hospital volunteering might be as few as 4 hours/week.

If your are too busy to do that (and believe me, I know busy as a non-trad), then I would do the hospital. But I'm biased. I think optometry would (for me) be pretty dull. "Is it better this way... or this?"

hmmm....the optometry office will get you around people, and you'll have responsibilities and you'll make money.

The hospital, as a volunteer, you might not get to do that much.

I say either way, especially if you don't know what you want to do.

You only need about a semester of volunteering. Do both and earn the money. If possible, try to observe the opt seeing patients. Also, decide on a path you want to take and focus on it. If you want to do med school an opt job may not be the most relevant.

I vol'd for 50 hours at a hosp ED, waste of time but important for my application. I spent a ton of time doing research and got published 3 times -- which is very lucky. It has helped a lot, though. To do this, check profs on campus for publications using Pubmed. Ones that have a lot, and have 2-3 in the last 2 years are the ones you want to work for. Let them know that you want to get published and they will try to accomodate.

Good luck.

hospital-fold blankets, wipe off beds, and other meniniall [sp?] tasks.

job-well $$$ and other meniall tasks.

my pick-job.

Cornhusker makes a good point. What kind of work would you be doing at the hospital? Personally, I have a ball volunteering at the ER, and see lots of neat stuff. But if it's just bed making, you might as well be making money.

I was wondering about this also, I have the chance to work in the hospital as a respitory therapist, but I dont know if I would still have to volunteer also. Any ideas?

Personal Opinion...

Volunteering is not as important as clinical experience. As long as you have spent time seeing what a doctors life is like, the volunteer work is much less important. Also, work may not show the altruistic spirit :)rolleyes: not that hospital volunteering does since it is consider a premed staple and most people just file or clean), it shows responsibility, work ethic, etc.

~AS1~

It all depends on what the volunteering consists of, and if you have had a similar job before. If the job adds nothing new to your applications, and you can do without the money, then volunteer.