Volunteer opportunity in gyn oncology at Columbia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gynoncresearch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-medical student volunteers needed in the division of gynecologic oncology at Columbia University.

What you will do for us:
1. Volunteers must be able to commit to 15 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months. Most of the time will be spent on retrospective chart reviews, but a few hours may be spent assisting the clinical research manager in general research activities and/or specimen collection and processing.
2. Volunteers will be working directly with one of our PIs, who is very well known and respected in the field, and supervised by one of the residents and the clinical research manager (both whom are around just to answer your questions, etc).

What we will do for you:
1. Put your name on all papers that come from the data you collect.
2. Write you a stellar letter of rec (if you've earned it). We've had several volunteers come through our office, and each has gotten into one of their top choices for med school.
3. Give you many opportunities to shadow in the OR, the lab, clinic hours, on the labor/delivery floor, or any other part of OB/Gyn you are interested in.
4. If resources permit, we may be able to give you the opportunity to pursue research projects that are interesting to you.
5. Give you access to the library (handy if you're studying for the MCAT!)

Please note per University policy you may have to have your titers drawn and a PPD read, and you will definitely have to have a urine drug screen (all of which will be paid for by us). You should live in the NY area so it's not a burden to work with us.

If interested, please PM me and I'll send you more contact info.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
god i wish you guys were located in michigan

or that this were last summer...

Members don't see this ad :)
DAMN if this was the beginning of the summer I'd so try for it. I'm just not going to have that kind of time once school starts up again, and commuting to columbia from my school would be a pain in the ass.

Are those 15 hours weekday only?

DAMN if this was the beginning of the summer I'd so try for it. I'm just not going to have that kind of time once school starts up again, and commuting to columbia from my school would be a pain in the ass.

Are those 15 hours weekday only?

At first most of the hours are going to be weekday only, because we'll need to train you and get you oriented. After that, only a few hours per week need to be during normal working hours. Many of them can be done during "off hours." And the residents work crazy hours, so they usually are fine with seeing you at odd times.

I know this middle of summer thing is bad timing for a lot of people. Unfortunately it's just the way our office's time line turned out. Sorry about that.

At first most of the hours are going to be weekday only, because we'll need to train you and get you oriented. After that, only a few hours per week need to be during normal working hours. Many of them can be done during "off hours." And the residents work crazy hours, so they usually are fine with seeing you at odd times.

I know this middle of summer thing is bad timing for a lot of people. Unfortunately it's just the way our office's time line turned out. Sorry about that.

Is the training schedual flexible? Also how long of a committment is it going to be? Three months? Six? A year?

Is the training schedual flexible? Also how long of a committment is it going to be? Three months? Six? A year?

Training schedule is fairly flexible, and depends on the schedule of the resident who will be working with you. Our PI is available in person during normal clinic hours. Commitment should be a minimum of 6 months. Usually our volunteers think they'll want to do the minimum and then they end up getting so much out of it that they stay for longer.

Would a prospective pre-med student be qualified for this opportunity? If not, what would you suggest to someone who's applying to a good pre-med program, but doesn't have any background in health industry? Any advice would be appreciative.

Will this volunteer opportunity be available in the spring semester 2009? I play on my school's soccer team and I would be available to volunteer after the season is over during spring semester...

I am currently applying to medical school and have the time to volunteer. Please respond with what is the best way and time to contact you.

Last edited:
this sounds like a really great opportunity
please let me know what is the best way to contact you,
or please email me at [email protected]

I am interested in this position. I will be graduating medical school this coming April and would like to join this position, if possible.

Please email me: [email protected]

thank you