Volunteer in Dentistry in South America - Predents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Branston87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hola todos! I just finished a 5 month volunteering stint in Quito, Ecuador - more specifically, I was tasked with coordinating a dental program for a school for impoverished kids living in the south of the city. It was an experience of a lifetime and would serve as an incredible opportunity for any predent who is looking to bolster their resume with something MAJOR - a chance to donate your time toward a very worthwhile cause, experience dentistry in a foreign country, be your own boss in a program under your direction, experience foreign culture, learn/use a new language (prior experience with Spanish highly recommended) - basically every EC that Adcoms drool over all wrapped into one amazing experience. Also, unlike other international volunteering organizations that charge thousands of dollars just for coordinating your paperwork, you can work with this organization for a mere $75 (a great deal, really - it goes toward feeding you lunch everyday for as long as you volunteer). Quito is a modern city situated in the Andes with a comfy climate year-round, no tropical diseases or animals to deal with, a large ex-pat community, and the country already uses USD$ for its currency - very convenient.

This is not an ad and I am no troll - I just know that the organization seldom has anybody to work in this position, which is a shame considering all of the predents out there looking for an experience or opportunity that could put them over the top for the upcoming/future cycles. I was a re-applicant last cycle, so I had a bit more free time to do this. It's obviously not right for everyone. But it kills me knowing that these kids are no longer receiving this vital service when there are so many people in the SDN universe that might have something to offer.

Here is the website (http://www.cenitecuador.org/) - check it out. If you're interested, you can send them an email. You can PM me with questions as well, although I don't check SDN too frequently - I'll try to keep pace. Also, if anybody is interested, I found this list (http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/) of orgs in South America where you can volunteer for free or for cheap. Regardless of whether or not you can find something in dentistry, international volunteering never looks bad on an app.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.