Voids on Class III composite restorations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just started our composite course, and I seem to be getting voids in my composite consistently in one particular spot: the incisal margin on a class III.

The void tends to be in the proximal spaces, not on the lingual surface of the composite, and is always at the margin.

Do you have any advice on stopping this?

I'm going to try:
1) Packing extra composite on the incisal margin
2) Ensure a wider bevel is there on the incisal margin
3) Watching my fingers when I fold the mylar strip to ensure I don't accidentally take any off

**Also, in what direction do you run your finishing bur? Tooth to composite or composite to tooth?

Thank you for reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

Try placing your bonding inside the prep, and using an alcohol swab to wipe off excess on the facial or lingual surfaces off the tooth. Air dry, cure. This reduces overhang because the composite has nothing to bond to on those surfaces.
When you use the mylar strip, try focusing on your adaptation.
Are you placing composite, then the mylar? Or mylar then composite?

Try placing your bonding inside the prep, and using an alcohol swab to wipe off excess on the facial or lingual surfaces off the tooth. Air dry, cure. This reduces overhang because the composite has nothing to bond to on those surfaces.
When you use the mylar strip, try focusing on your adaptation.
Are you placing composite, then the mylar? Or mylar then composite?

Thanks for the input. I’m fine with overhang - my main issue is voids.

I’m doing Mylar then composite.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fill in increments. Start with filling axial to proximal. The increments will help remove voids and reduce stressors on the restoration.

Make sure the margins are smooth and sealed. Using alcohol to burnish the margins. Then use proper angulalations of the Mylar and finish the fill.

Ensure your Incisal lingual bevel is .5mm to ensure you got good resistance.

Voids can happen when you wrap mylar strip and accidentally manage to fold over excess composite. It got to the point where I would start finishing a smooth surface of composite and then a void appears underneath. I started free handing Class IIIs and IVs without using the mylar to make contours and never had an issue. I've also used mylar and used the pull technique ONLY when I've made sure the excess composite is removed and I only pull enough to make line angles and the marginal ridges.

Reactions: 1 user