This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The year I copied information the experiences copied but were not in order (not that it mattered if you had new ones) and we were told they would not reorder so we had to delete them all and re-enter if we wanted most recent first. It was obnoxious but I'm glad that's no longer a problem.
Yeah it had mine in chronological order my second round

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you put under hours...I collect sharks teeth in creeks for fun so I get that.
That is awesome, I used to collect fossils and other bits and bobs from creek beds as a kid! It is a new hobby of mine that I picked up over the last year and a half, but realistically I've probably only done maybe 80 hours. Most of that is pinning very carefully to not tear the wings but also get them symmetrical so they dry correctly :happy: . I've got about 60 specimens, but only am in love with like 3 of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this round and I have a respectable amount of small animal hours but I'm trying to fit in some last minute large animal hours over the summer to help round out my application. I have about 1000 hours from one location, does anyone know if vet schools will frown upon shadowing for 4 hours here and there at different clinics or should I just exclude those experiences? I have shadowed several different veterianiarans as time allowed for half days but I'm not sure if it will look bad to have 5 hours from one vet and 4 from another.

I am applying this round and I have a respectable amount of small animal hours but I'm trying to fit in some last minute large animal hours over the summer to help round out my application. I have about 1000 hours from one location, does anyone know if vet schools will frown upon shadowing for 4 hours here and there at different clinics or should I just exclude those experiences? I have shadowed several different veterianiarans as time allowed for half days but I'm not sure if it will look bad to have 5 hours from one vet and 4 from another.
Include any and everything. I definitely had at least a couple of vet experiences with 20 or fewer hours to just get my feet wet and expose myself to something new—didn’t seem to hurt me.

You need to include these. Every practice is different. The greater the variety, it shows you understand this, even if it is a few hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if this has been answered but does being full pay impact admissions? I would assume there exists some bias toward vet students who are able to graduate debt free, given the high incidence of debt (and relatively low salary) in our profession. But I also get that none of this stuff exists in a bubble and that class/income divisions go much deeper than the ability to pay for a DVM and would impact other significant areas of the app as well.
I feel like that would be a form of discrimination
[getting a little off topic but...]
While I don't think financial need or ability to pay is considered for veterinary school, it is 100% legal and is definitely used in undergrad admissions. I went to a liberal arts college and when I was applying, most LAC fell under two categories. They were either need-blind admissions, or they were able to meet the financial needs of every student, but were not need blind in admissions (they call it "need aware"). Anyways, there are a lot of articles about this online. But yeah, colleges will absolutely use financial info to legally discriminate (though I have not heard of this for vet schools for a plethora of reasons, likely)

Lsu told me to make my essays around my hardships but my hardships were economic and personal ( death in the family and working multiple jobs). Im trying to see how that factors into the vmcas 3, I know how it will for lsu

Do experiences have to be in chronological order?
Just like a resume or CV, it is always policy to have chronological order. I would have hoped they would do it automatically for you, but if not, I would definitely recommend making it so. :)

Do you guys think that some schools are more interested in applicants that are "interested in the dual DVM/PhD Program" as opposed to those who put that they're not interested in that program? Would this improve the chance of getting an interview/accepted?

Do you guys think that some schools are more interested in applicants that are "interested in the dual DVM/PhD Program" as opposed to those who put that they're not interested in that program? Would this improve the chance of getting an interview/accepted?

No. Do not put that you are interested in research if you are not. If you haven't shown any research from your undergrad then put it on your app that you want PhD, it shows you are not serious. Do not be dishonest at any point in your application is my recommendation.

Reactions: 7 users
Plus most schools have a defined number of people they will take for said programs and from my knowledge of CSU applications are usually more competitive

Members don't see this ad :)
1500 characters is about 2 paragraphs..vmcas this isn't twitter.

Reactions: 1 users
1500 characters is about 2 paragraphs..vmcas this isn't twitter.
You have no idea how vomit inducingly boring wordy statements are when you have to read one after another after another after another of the same prompt. Seriously in 2 paragraphs you can pick out the keepers vs the “meh, ok” applicants, vs. the Nopes!

Think about what the adcoms wants to read about you, not what YOU want to tell them about yourself. Those are usually two very different things. Be smart and make every word count.

Reactions: 5 users
I just graduated from graduate school and am in the process of applying to veterinary school for the first time. However, I realize that the exact name of the majors I had for my bachelors and master is not listed for me to select for the application. For instance, for my bachelors, I was a double major with the primary major being Wildlife & Fisheries, and the second major was Entomology.

For graduate school, my only major was Veterinary & Biomedical Sciences.

The options I have to choose from on the VMCAS application that is the closest to what I majored in are Wildlife Management, Zoology, or Other for my bachelors and Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine for my master's.

Question: Should I choose what is the closest to the actual majors I studied or should I choose other and type in the majors precisely as they appear on my diploma and transcripts?

I just graduated from graduate school and am in the process of applying to veterinary school for the first time. However, I realize that the exact name of the majors I had for my bachelors and master is not listed for me to select for the application. For instance, for my bachelors, I was a double major with the primary major being Wildlife & Fisheries, and the second major was Entomology.

For graduate school, my only major was Veterinary & Biomedical Sciences.

The options I have to choose from on the VMCAS application that is the closest to what I majored in are Wildlife Management, Zoology, or Other for my bachelors and Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine for my master's.

Question: Should I choose what is the closest to the actual majors I studied or should I choose other and type in the majors precisely as they appear on my diploma and transcripts?
I would just go with other so you can be as precise as possible.

So I see in the achievements we can add scholarships.. If I received a scholarship multiple times, would I only put it in once and in the description say I got it three times (one time a year since 2017) or would I have to input each time I received it?

So I see in the achievements we can add scholarships.. If I received a scholarship multiple times, would I only put it in once and in the description say I got it three times (one time a year since 2017) or would I have to input each time I received it?

I put it once with the years I received it.

Put the subject as what they actually are. You’ll get to choose what classes you want to fill each prereq for each school. That’s where you put what you’re choosing as humanities.
As for what they consider humanities, contact each school if they don’t list it on their website what qualifies. English might not qualify since it usually is counted under an English prereq. Contact the schools to check. They’re the only ones who can tell you what they will accept or not.
Where will we get to choose which class we want to fill each prerequisite? I'm entering my transcripts but so far I haven't seen anything like that.

Where will we get to choose which class we want to fill each prerequisite? I'm entering my transcripts but so far I haven't seen anything like that.
You'll do that once you have everything entered and finalized under the transcript section

Have you input all of your classes and finalized yet? I think it’s in the supplemental part on vmcas for each school, but you have to completely be done inputting classwork.

I was a receptionist at my university's vet school emergency front desk and speciality service front desk. I was wondering if anyone could clarify what I should classify this experience as. I don't want to classify it as animal experience since I wasn't working on the animals myself, and I don't think I should have it count toward my veterinary experience for the same reason. I don't think it's classifiable as just employment either though since the VMCAS defines that as "work done outside of the veterinary field." So this was a paid job in the veterinary field where I was not a direct participant in the animals' care...if anyone knows whether I should put it as animal experience or veterinary experience please let me know!

I was a receptionist at my university's vet school emergency front desk and speciality service front desk. I was wondering if anyone could clarify what I should classify this experience as. I don't want to classify it as animal experience since I wasn't working on the animals myself, and I don't think I should have it count toward my veterinary experience for the same reason. I don't think it's classifiable as just employment either though since the VMCAS defines that as "work done outside of the veterinary field." So this was a paid job in the veterinary field where I was not a direct participant in the animals' care...if anyone knows whether I should put it as animal experience or veterinary experience please let me know!

I was a receptionist at a vet clinic as well and put it under employment, but I see what you’re saying. I think that the schools will see that you were a receptionist at a vet clinic and will realize the value of that experience even if it’s under regular employment! I just don’t think it quite fits with animal experience since you don’t really have any direct contact with animals or their care.. even though it does require extensive animal knowledge. Honestly, I could see it going either way, you could always email VMCAS and ask too!

You have no idea how vomit inducingly boring wordy statements are when you have to read one after another after another after another of the same prompt. Seriously in 2 paragraphs you can pick out the keepers vs the “meh, ok” applicants, vs. the Nopes!

Think about what the adcoms wants to read about you, not what YOU want to tell them about yourself. Those are usually two very different things. Be smart and make every word count.
I have been but there was a small 200-400 word portion I needed to put in that the essays all being 2000 will help with. I needed to hit 3 points on my goals essay. I narrow each essay down to 3 points and its kept them pretty going smooth

I was a receptionist at a vet clinic as well and put it under employment, but I see what you’re saying. I think that the schools will see that you were a receptionist at a vet clinic and will realize the value of that experience even if it’s under regular employment! I just don’t think it quite fits with animal experience since you don’t really have any direct contact with animals or their care.. even though it does require extensive animal knowledge. Honestly, I could see it going either way, you could always email VMCAS and ask too!
I am a tech and receptionist. I frequently get called back to tech if the front is slow during my reception shift and I get called up front for my tech shift.

I’m a little agitated that VMCAS only allows whole number hours per week for experiences. A couple places I’ve shadowed/volunteered at have been a day here or there over 1-2 years. So when I enter the number of weeks if I put 1 hour per week it seriously shortchanges my hours but if I put 2 per week it’s too many hours. It concerns me that admissions will wonder what I possibly could’ve seen in 1 hour/week but it was really 10 full days over a year or whatever. I’m not sure how to make that clear in VMCAS or maybe I’m just overthinking it.

What have ya’ll done?

I’m a little agitated that VMCAS only allows whole number hours per week for experiences. A couple places I’ve shadowed/volunteered at have been a day here or there over 1-2 years. So when I enter the number of weeks if I put 1 hour per week it seriously shortchanges my hours but if I put 2 per week it’s too many hours. It concerns me that admissions will wonder what I possibly could’ve seen in 1 hour/week but it was really 10 full days over a year or whatever. I’m not sure how to make that clear in VMCAS or maybe I’m just overthinking it.

What have ya’ll done?

Are the "number of weeks" and "start/end dates" still separate fields? Because I shadowed a place here and there over like 3 years and I put the start/end dates for a three year period but then adjusted the number of weeks so it was more like the number I actually worked.

So if you did 10 full days and they were all in separate weeks (idk know if they were but for the sake of the example lets assume) the I'd have put 10 weeks (because thats how many you'd have worked) and 8 (or whatever it was on average) hours per week.

Granted this only works if they're separate fields and it doesnt calculte weeks for you. But they were separate when I applied and it was only the total hours that got automatically calculates.

Are the "number of weeks" and "start/end dates" still separate fields? Because I shadowed a place here and there over like 3 years and I put the start/end dates for a three year period but then adjusted the number of weeks so it was more like the number I actually worked.

So if you did 10 full days and they were all in separate weeks (idk know if they were but for the sake of the example lets assume) the I'd have put 10 weeks (because thats how many you'd have worked) and 8 (or whatever it was on average) hours per week.

Granted this only works if they're separate fields and it doesnt calculte weeks for you. But they were separate when I applied and it was only the total hours that got automatically calculates.

Yes, they are still separate fields. I hadn’t thought to do it that way. Thanks!!

^^this is what I did too

When I download my app to preview it, under "colleges attended," it says "no" for the line that says primary. Is this happening for anyone else or did I do something wrong? I haven't attended any other colleges so it seems weird that the default is no for whether or not it is my primary college.

When I download my app to preview it, under "colleges attended," it says "no" for the line that says primary. Is this happening for anyone else or did I do something wrong? I haven't attended any other colleges so it seems weird that the default is no for whether or not it is my primary college.
If you go back under the "colleges attended" section, there should be an option for you to set it as your primary

no such option :(
Oh no, I'm sorry I led you astray :( that's odd.... if you don't end up finding something like that, I would try emailing or calling VMCAS

First time applicant! I have a general question about listing experiences. I've been a rider/trainer/groom, for most of my life and as I'm 30 now, some of the experiences I'll be listing occurred a long time ago, and/or were short stints with high level show barns, etc. Basically, some of them I just don't have or am not comfortable providing a contact for. I know a contact is not required, but does anyone know if it's off-putting on the application NOT to list a contact? Thanks!!!

First time applicant! I have a general question about listing experiences. I've been a rider/trainer/groom, for most of my life and as I'm 30 now, some of the experiences I'll be listing occurred a long time ago, and/or were short stints with high level show barns, etc. Basically, some of them I just don't have or am not comfortable providing a contact for. I know a contact is not required, but does anyone know if it's off-putting on the application NOT to list a contact? Thanks!!!

N=1 but there were older experiences that I didn’t put a contact for.

Like @mmmdreamerz, there were definitely experiences that I didn't list any contact information for (most of them were old experiences from when vet med wasn't even on the radar yet and/or international experiences with no real solid contact means), and it was never brought up by any of the schools I applied to. As long as it's just a couple of experiences here and there, it shouldn't be seen as any sort of red flag. Schools simply don't have the time to go through everyone's experiences and contact every single one to ensure that they're valid; with the one possible exception of UGA, they only really will do so if something seems off or wonky in terms of hours.

Like @mmmdreamerz, there were definitely experiences that I didn't list any contact information for (most of them were old experiences from when vet med wasn't even on the radar yet and/or international experiences with no real solid contact means), and it was never brought up by any of the schools I applied to. As long as it's just a couple of experiences here and there, it shouldn't be seen as any sort of red flag. Schools simply don't have the time to go through everyone's experiences and contact every single one to ensure that they're valid; with the one possible exception of UGA, they only really will do so if something seems off or wonky in terms of hours.

That's kind of what I figured, but glad to have some verification. Thanks!

Generally speaking I think UGA contacts one or more of your references, not necessarily all of your experiences per se. UGA does NOT interview and therefore likes to speak directly with references to get a better feel for applicants. If anyone has had a different experience, please chime in.

Generally speaking I think UGA contacts one or more of your references, not necessarily all of your experiences per se. UGA does NOT interview and therefore likes to speak directly with references to get a better feel for applicants. If anyone has had a different experience, please chime in.

Someone commented in the UGA applicants thread (within the last 2 years or so) that an experience of hers had been contacted that wasn’t a reference. However, it was a recent and significant experience if I remember correctly. I don’t think they’d call say, your manager from when you worked retail at 17 years old.

2 questions: should we include pet ownership as animal experience (cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs)? I've heard mixed reviews on doing so. Also are you guys using bullet points for your activity explanations or narrative? My pre-health advisor said to use narrative style and explain what I learned from each experience, but with 600 characters, a compromise has to be made somewhere. Thoughts?

I know Michigan State specifically wants the narrative style and wants you to say what you learned from each experience (they said it in a denied applicant workshop). Contact some of your schools (specifically your IS) and see if they have a preference

2 questions: should we include pet ownership as animal experience (cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs)? I've heard mixed reviews on doing so. Also are you guys using bullet points for your activity explanations or narrative? My pre-health advisor said to use narrative style and explain what I learned from each experience, but with 600 characters, a compromise has to be made somewhere. Thoughts?
Depends where you're applying. WSU for example wants to know like literally everything you've done. So I'm of the opinion include it with reasonable hours ie 30min a day since you were say 8 when you actually understood how to take care of pet unless you had a more time intensive pet like a diabetic dog. If the schools dont care about it they will glance right over it

Depends where you're applying. WSU for example wants to know like literally everything you've done. So I'm of the opinion include it with reasonable hours ie 30min a day since you were say 8 when you actually understood how to take care of pet unless you had a more time intensive pet like a diabetic dog. If the schools dont care about it they will glance right over it
Agree. I also put my own pet experience. Some people on here have said their school wanted it. Certainly doesn’t hurt as long as you’re not overdoing the number of hours just to pad your app. I definitely lowballed mine and put like 1 hour per week so it was there but not contributing a ton of hours, even though my pets have required a lot of extra work at times with meds or injuries. Explained everything I’ve had to do for them throughout their lives in the description and what extra stuff they’ve required.

Not sure if this is more of a question for individual schools/VMCAS itself but figured I'd try here first...when entering veterinary experiences, should the supervisor listed always be a veterinarian? I am currently shadowing at two multi-doctor practices where I am working with different vets every day and my technical supervisor is either a vet tech or administrative personnel, and they are the ones who know who I am and would be the most helpful should any schools contact these places. I'm assuming that if I adequately describe the veterinary aspect of each experience in the description it should be fine? I just want to make sure my app won't be discounted or something for a technicality like this.

Not sure if this is more of a question for individual schools/VMCAS itself but figured I'd try here first...when entering veterinary experiences, should the supervisor listed always be a veterinarian? I am currently shadowing at two multi-doctor practices where I am working with different vets every day and my technical supervisor is either a vet tech or administrative personnel, and they are the ones who know who I am and would be the most helpful should any schools contact these places. I'm assuming that if I adequately describe the veterinary aspect of each experience in the description it should be fine? I just want to make sure my app won't be discounted or something for a technicality like this.
I didn’t always list a veterinarian as my supervisor. I listed whoever was directly above me and could comment on my work ethic, performance, etc. Even when I listed my vet tech experience, I listed the vet tech who was the head of my area as my supervisor. I hope this helps!

I didn’t always list a veterinarian as my supervisor. I listed whoever was directly above me and could comment on my work ethic, performance, etc. Even when I listed my vet tech experience, I listed the vet tech who was the head of my area as my supervisor. I hope this helps!
That's what I figured, thank you so much!