This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I put a course I planned to take in my “planned courses” for spring 2020, but am now in the process of making my schedule and realize I can not fit it in with the other courses I NEED to take to graduate. Will not taking a course entered as “planned” hurt admissions chances? It is not a prerequisite class for any of the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I put a course I planned to take in my “planned courses” for spring 2020, but am now in the process of making my schedule and realize I can not fit it in with the other courses I NEED to take to graduate. Will not taking a course entered as “planned” hurt admissions chances? It is not a prerequisite class for any of the schools.
It shouldn't. They'll probably just ask that you make a note on your unofficial transcript, if they ask you bring it in to the interview.

It doesn’t hurt your chances, but some places might want to be updated. It depends on the school. Some places look at applications holistically and take all coursework into consideration when determining the academic rigor of your program. I’d try to update your vmcas. If that doesn’t work maybe send a courtesy note to the schools once you finalize your course schedule for the next term. It’s not a huge deal since it’s not a prerequisite course, but some schools might want to know anyway. Particularly if it’s a science course

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it harm your application if you didn’t put any planned courses for Spring 2020? I transferred into university with a lot of community college credits but still stayed four years (scholarships paid for it so why not) so I’m basically done. I will just be taking enough credits to keep my on campus job, vet prereqs are done, and I had very little clue what would be available so I didn’t put anything into VMCAS. Now I’m wondering if I was supposed to do put something in?

Does it harm your application if you didn’t put any planned courses for Spring 2020? I transferred into university with a lot of community college credits but still stayed four years (scholarships paid for it so why not) so I’m basically done. I will just be taking enough credits to keep my on campus job, vet prereqs are done, and I had very little clue what would be available so I didn’t put anything into VMCAS. Now I’m wondering if I was supposed to do put something in?

No. It will be fine. It really only matters if you have outstanding prereqs that need to be accounted for.

Reactions: 1 user

I didn’t list any either because I’m done after this semester :)

Do schools generally consider fall quarter grades during admissions decisions?

As in the ones for your current quarter? Yes, if you are offered an interview. How much they weight your grades for this quarter is dependent on the school and what classes you took. How much these last grades can impact your overall score is also dependent on the other parts of your application (bad grades may not matter as much if your have an otherwise really good application, but good grades may make up for previous average or less than stellar grades, or even a so-so GRE score).

Not all of them. Some schools, particularly the ones that release decisions from now until January/February, won't have time to review fall grades. They usually just accept, then let you know that you have to maintain above a certain GPA or obtain certain grades to keep your acceptance. For instance, Western University sent out acceptances last year in January. They specifically said that as long as you obtained Cs or above in your remaining classes, you would keep your acceptance. UC Davis releases interview decisions in November, and they do not look at GPA after inviting to interview. This means Fall grades are not looked at for decision purposes (I would imagine they would have the Cs or better rule as well). There are of course schools that do consider Fall classes, but I just wanted to put this out there!

Not all of them. Some schools, particularly the ones that release decisions from now until January/February, won't have time to review fall grades. They usually just accept, then let you know that you have to maintain above a certain GPA or obtain certain grades to keep your acceptance. For instance, Western University sent out acceptances last year in January. They specifically said that as long as you obtained Cs or above in your remaining classes, you would keep your acceptance. UC Davis releases interview decisions in November, and they do not look at GPA after inviting to interview. This means Fall grades are not looked at for decision purposes (I would imagine they would have the Cs or better rule as well). There are of course schools that do consider Fall classes, but I just wanted to put this out there!
You’d also be surprised at the exceptions some schools make. I ended up not finishing a class due to some extenuating circumstances, and didn’t need the class to matriculate. I was planning on finishing it and the professor said I could resume is whenever I wanted. I took a little too much liberty with that, and had an incomplete on my transcript for a long time. Just after being accepted, the class switched to an F. I emailed the admissions director and asked if this would be a problem. In no uncertain terms, he basically told me “nah.” Lol

Question! I am not doing well in my biochem class at all. Would it be better to drop the class with a W (tomorrow is the deadline to Drop with a W) or to tough it out and potentially fail the class? How do vet schools evaluate this? interview wise? I applied at WSU, CSU, Oregon, Michigan state, and midwestern. I am a WICHE applicant with otherwise high GPA, never dropped a class before.

Question! I am not doing well in my biochem class at all. Would it be better to drop the class with a W (tomorrow is the deadline to Drop with a W) or to tough it out and potentially fail the class? How do vet schools evaluate this? interview wise? I applied at WSU, CSU, Oregon, Michigan state, and midwestern. I am a WICHE applicant with otherwise high GPA, never dropped a class before.

A W will *always* be better than a D or F. Literally anything is better than that GPA wise. Doesn't matter the school.

Reactions: 5 users
You’ll have to retake it regardless of if you fail it or take a W. Why take the GPA hit of failing it when you can just take the W and take it again when you’re better prepared to rock it?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a bunch of W's, take the W and get a fresh start next semester without the GPA hit. So much easier to recover from.

You’ll have to retake it regardless of if you fail it or take a W. Why take the GPA hit of failing it when you can just take the W and take it again when you’re better prepared to rock it?
I am just in that weird spot where everyone else is also failing. In the past there has been a thick curve on the class so it’s hard to predict if I could pass or not without knowing the extent of the curve. Also, this class was biochem 1 where as my school offers survey of biochem which is supposed to be much better and still counts for my animal science degree and vet school. My mindset of “challenge your self” and take the harder class Is coming back to bite me.

I am just in that weird spot where everyone else is also failing. In the past there has been a thick curve on the class so it’s hard to predict if I could pass or not without knowing the extent of the curve. Also, this class was biochem 1 where as my school offers survey of biochem which is supposed to be much better and still counts for my animal science degree and vet school. My mindset of “challenge your self” and take the harder class Is coming back to bite me.

I honestly would not stick around and try to rely on a curve. By dropping now you would be able to be better prepared for next semester and rock the rest of your classes this semester.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 3 users
From which schools has anyone received invites for? Just started a thread ! So anxious waiting

As everyone knows, the VMCAS is closed. I just registered for the next semester and my schedule is different than that listed on my application as “planned.” I also recently found out that I qualify to earn an Associates of Science from my community college (I had listed no degree earned). Should I email the admissions directly to inform them of the changes this late in the game? Im not so sure earning an associates will make any difference at all at this point, I only recently found out I’m automatically qualified for it.

As everyone knows, the VMCAS is closed. I just registered for the next semester and my schedule is different than that listed on my application as “planned.” I also recently found out that I qualify to earn an Associates of Science from my community college (I had listed no degree earned). Should I email the admissions directly to inform them of the changes this late in the game? Im not so sure earning an associates will make any difference at all at this point, I only recently found out I’m automatically qualified for it.

Not necessary.

I know it's super late for this, but I just realized that I don't have a saved copy of my application. Anyone know how to go about getting this? Can I e-mail VMCAS?

I know it's super late for this, but I just realized that I don't have a saved copy of my application. Anyone know how to go about getting this? Can I e-mail VMCAS?

Yes, they’ll send it to you pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Make sure to include your applicant ID in the email and they usually send it in like 24 hours maybe even less!

Just got my interview offer from VMCVM! I was stressed because I am non-traditional and was questioning if I was rushing into things too soon after college... but when I got that email all of that faded away into pure joy and excitement. Let's do this thing! Never cried from happiness before.
Congrats! What do you mean by non-traditional? I’m applying my senior year of college and was just curious!

Congrats! What do you mean by non-traditional? I’m applying my senior year of college and was just curious!

Non-traditional means older (sometimes) and/or coming from a different career path. Basically taking a non-traditional route to veterinary school.

Reactions: 3 users
Wasn’t really sure where to ask this... but can schools see if you’ve applied to theirs school before/have been waitlisted/rejected in pervious years?

Wasn’t really sure where to ask this... but can schools see if you’ve applied to theirs school before/have been waitlisted/rejected in pervious years?

Most schools ask if you’ve applied to their school previously on their supplemental application. Not sure if they keep records from year to year or want to waste manpower checking to see if you’ve applied before. Maybe a 2nd time applicant would know for sure...

I've interviewed at WSU twice and the 2nd time they asked me in my interview what I had done to improve between applications. I think WSU at least keeps files for applicants with their previous application information. I know they at least keep info for people who have done file reviews.

You have to put on VMCAS that you've applied to veterinary school before. You should assume that they do have this information.

Sort of related to this, but can the schools see which other vet schools you've also applied to during this cycle? Wondering if that impacts their decision to accept us or not if they assume we would probably get accepted elsewhere instead.

Sort of related to this, but can the schools see which other vet schools you've also applied to during this cycle? Wondering if that impacts their decision to accept us or not if they assume we would probably get accepted elsewhere instead.
They cannot see where you applied unless you tell them

I don’t think they can? I’ve been asked in multiple interviews for different schools how many/which schools I applied to; not sure why’d they ask if they have that info. Of course, once they ask you in an interview they’ll know

yeah, it isn't given knowledge unless you are asked directly by the schools. It is not an impact in decisions made offering people seats. People need to keep in mind that they are building a diverse class. You cannot predict what they are looking for to fill this out. This is why you have to present what you bring to a class and the profession as an individual. Lies and excessive modesty have no place in applications. You have to present yourself in a way that you bring something to the table that works in a community. Think of it like building a team for the apocalypse. What role would you play? haha

Reactions: 2 users
You have to present yourself in a way that you bring something to the table that works in a community. Think of it like building a team for the apocalypse. What role would you play? haha
B950D913-DE8F-4CE6-9AA8-188565CA193E.jpeg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
In my first year of vet school we had an interprofessional health class with med students, nursing students, pharm students etc (all about one health and collaboration etc) but the final scenario we discussed was how each of our professions would deal with a zombie apocalypse and yeah, the vets were voted the most likely to be useful :D

Reactions: 7 users
What did you guys get for organic chemistry? I just got my mark back and I got an A- and wondering if that’s any good?

I’m asking cause for some of my schools they send out offers before the fall grades are required so wondering if I should send it in early to count towards my application or not and send at latest possible point?

I’m asking cause for some of my schools they send out offers before the fall grades are required so wondering if I should send it in early to count towards my application or not and send at latest possible point?
If they send out offers before they require grades they won’t take it into account for your GPA because it wouldn’t be fair to the people who haven’t sent (or even gotten) their fall grades yet.

Even if it’s one of my outstanding prerequisite requirements?
Most people will have outstanding prereqs. That’s why they allow them. It would be incredibly unfair to factor in another course for one person when other people won’t have sent in their grades and some may not have even gotten them back at the time they send out offers. By all means, send it if you want, but don’t expect them to include it in your GPA.

I had a prereq that I turned in in July, one month before starting. You're fine
Important to remember that this is school dependent. I know some schools I applied to do not accept grades past May 31st of matriculation year

Important to remember that this is school dependent. I know some schools I applied to do not accept grades past May 31st of matriculation year
That's correct! But not quite what the person was asking about as she has already taken the class just wanted to know if an a- was good enough

Reactions: 1 users
What did you guys get for organic chemistry? I just got my mark back and I got an A- and wondering if that’s any good?
An A- in Orgo is a very good grade. There’s not any reason to not send it in I guess but I don’t think most schools will really factor it in to their decision. Most have already calculated your GPA. It doesn’t hurt to send it

Some schools will ask for fall transcripts and some will not. If the school doesn’t ask for a fall transcript I wouldn’t waste your time or money sending it to them because they probably won’t look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 4 users