Visiting Residency Sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've just finished my 2nd year of pharmacy school. I'm planning on moving to the opposite coast once I'm done and figure a residency is in my career plans anyway. I have some family back east that I visit on a semi-regular basis as well as scheduling some of my rotations that way. When would be too early for me to visit/tour sites prior to deciding if they are programs I actually want to apply to? I have a road trip this summer planned to/from a rotation site and I could visit one or two prospective residencies on my trip. Going into my 3rd year is this too early?

I want to ensure I end up somewhere where I enjoy myself inside and outside of the hospital but I also don't want to look like a ridiculous overenthusiastic gunner either. I know I watch some of my schoolmates now and just want to sit them down and say "slow down. it will all be ok if you wait 6 months to find out that piece of information." I don't want to be that person too!

Should I look into touring sites this summer or hold off for another year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally...I'm not gonna say all because sites can be different...you don't really go out and visit residency sites. It isn't at all like applying to pharmacy schools. You don't really have much of a chance to go out and "visit" the programs until you have already applied.

This is a very brief overview of how it works...
Usually you start looking at the ASHP website and figure out what sites you are interested in. Then you go to Midyear (not always necessary) and talk to those sites to find out more about the program. You can always e-mail them questions or for more information. You apply to the sites you are interested in...from there you get invited to an interview/on-site meeting. After all your interviews you rank your programs through the Match. The Match happens and you find out where you are going.

You apply in the last year of pharmacy school because most residency programs start July 1st. However, it is not a bad idea to start researching prospective programs...I just don't know about actually being able to visit the sites. I haven't really heard of it, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I know all about the MidYear/Match process. But I have talked to people who (usually early in their 4th year, prior to Mid Year) contacted residency directors and came to tour the facility and spoke with the director and a resident or two just to get a feel for it. Because I'll be most likely looking only at sites 2000+ miles from where I am now and don't have unlimited funds to interview all over the east coast I was hoping to get a head start on things now so I can eliminate possibilities that may not be such a good fit for me.