Visited the Temple U. Pharmacy campus before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious_georgie

Monkeys!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone has visited the Temple University School of Pharmacy campus [not necessarily the main campus] before?

I'd like to know how the location and surroundings are: scary? nice? okay?

Please let me know--I'm a bit "blind" at the moment.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

North Philly is an intimidating area to live in. I would suggest visiting TU prior to deciding to attend. The city itself is nice, there are just some areas I wouldn't want to be stuck in at night.

Aside from the city and questionable neighborhood, how do you feel about the general vacinity of the Temple U Health Science Center?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im from phillly and I have just visited Temple University just today for an interview. Here are my thoughts from my visit...

City, neighborhood around the campus are obviously not the most safest. North Philly, is not a kid friendly area and looks more like a run down ghetto rather than the home of a major University. However, as a student, I would assume you're not gonna wander off away from campus into some unknown streets and back allys anyways, so I dont think u have anything to worry about as long as you dont do anything stupid.
The campus itself, although its in a bad neighborhood isnt that bad as people may believe. Sure it has alot of old buildings and the area will look VERY depressing on a nasty rainy day like it was today for me however, there are alot of students walking around to class around the main campus area and lots of people here and there hanging out so its not dangerous at all.( just as long as u dont wander far off from campus) Theres not much to do if you plan on dorming there unless you know someone with a car and is very familiar with philly in general as far as hotspots are concerned. Demographic wise, it was well diverse to my surprise and the students and faculty all seemed very friendly. One good thing about Temple is that all the main science buildings and hospitals and other health-related buildings and offices are all within blocks from each other thus saves you the commute and travel.
Once u get familar with philly and make friends, Im pretty sure u will have a good time there. Besides, you wouldnt be that far from center city and you can always catch a sixers or Eagles game while munching on some good ole philly cheestakes ( i recommend Pats Steaks in south street~*)
All in all, I think u should definitly come out and visit the campus first hand if you can. Temple is not for everyone as you may find out however despite its undesirable location, Temple makes up for it with its strong medical and pharmacy programs. Philadelphia was ranked one of the top places to live and go to medical/pharmacy schoool i believe becuase of its varly cheap cost of living and for its numerous strong schools throughout philly. All in all, i HIGHLY recommend u come out and visit the school first before u make a decision to enroll. That is a must in my opinion.

Originally posted by curious_georgie
Aside from the city and questionable neighborhood, how do you feel about the general vacinity of the Temple U Health Science Center?

I'm a 2nd year at the medical school and have never had a problem on campus. I do make it a point to never stay on campus after dark. To our credit, Temple lights up the HSC like a Christmas tree from dusk til dawn (I get there before dawn).

Temple Police are good people, too.

But I do know of a friend who had an "incident" on Temple Pharm campus.

And there have been several stabbings on Temple main campus the last few years.

Rough area. Be smart and be alert. Philly is a nice town, but it can catch up to you real quick.

I went to PCPS in west Philly. Only took a few months for me to come face-to-face with some steel. Best advice...drop your **** and run.

Originally posted by JPHazelton
But I do know of a friend who had an "incident" on Temple Pharm campus.

And there have been several stabbings on Temple main campus the last few years.

Rough area. Be smart and be alert. Philly is a nice town, but it can catch up to you real quick.

I went to PCPS in west Philly. Only took a few months for me to come face-to-face with some steel. Best advice...drop your **** and run.

Okay. Now, I'm a bit scared. :scared:

I agree...I grew up in philly and the area Temple is in is not very pleasant at times. Im not trying to put down Temple university but if u have options to go to an equally good school i would choose that instead if I were u.
Currently I am deciding whether to go to Rutgers or Temple for School of Pharmacy. It was pretty much a toss up however what it came down to was I decided that I rather spend next 4 years at Rutgers rather than next 4 years at Temple.
Temple's pharmacy school is just as strong and competative as the next however I felt its hostile and shady surroundings was not gonna be an inducive learning environment for me. Thus I am choosing Rutgers over Temple.

hey guys,
my first post here:)

anyways, spent 4.5 years at the main campus at Temple, was a lil bit scared my first semester, mainly cuz main Campus is huge:) but never had a problem there. Plus they have cops on every corner, believe me.

visited Pharm campus recently, not bad at all and not that scary:)

don't know anything about Rutgers, how is it?

Alright, the section where Temple is located is bad and Rutgers isn't as bad..but I don't think New Brunswick is all too great an area either. There's crime, it's city-ish and you definitely have to watch yourself there too- it's no Mayberry. But on the other hand, New Brunswick is a cool little college town, there's pretty unique bars and restaurants- definitely lots of stuff to do.

I have a question:
Is the program at Temple U. worth the risk concerning it's location? Or is it just okay?

FYI: I just got my letter today ^^

The Health Science Center is not in a bad area. Temple has a very respected police department. I think it's worth visiting. The School of Pharmacy is near the medical school and other professional health related areas. The nature of Temple's location is quite exaggerated. It's really not that bad.

Oh and I got my letter as well.

Originally posted by amian04
The nature of Temple's location is quite exaggerated. It's really not that bad.

It's that type of attitude that will get your shot in North Philly. You need to respect the fact that Temple is in a bad neighborhood.

The university is not in a favorable area. It might be difficult to adjust there if you are used to safe, metropolitan areas. In contrast, Philadelphia college of pharmacy is located in a much better area. It's probably a better school too.

I have heard that Temple is a very easy pharmacy school as well. Has anyone heard of this aspect as well?

oh , i didn't get anything yet....
did you all got accepted?