Visionace , the new drug

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tony.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.vitabiotics.us/visionace/visionace.aspx?ID=21

There is a new drug called 'Visionace'. ( see link above )
Can someone tell me how often these drug companies come up with these new pills...?
it seems to me like the drug companies come up with a new products every year! Is this safe? What do you tell your patients about these new drugs?

Also, can someone tell me if this Visionace thing PREVENTS poor eyesight or CORRECTS poor eye sight?

Members don't see this ad.

Tony. said:
http://www.vitabiotics.us/visionace/visionace.aspx?ID=21

There is a new drug called 'Visionace'. ( see link above )
Can someone tell me how often these drug companies come up with these new pills...?
it seems to me like the drug companies come up with a new products every year! Is this safe? What do you tell your patients about these new drugs?

Also, can someone tell me if this Visionace thing PREVENTS poor eyesight or CORRECTS poor eye sight?

Visionace pills are vitamins and other supplements.

Andrew_Doan said:
Visionace pills are vitamins and other supplements.

what does the pill promise?
better vision?
Cant we get all the vitamins we need by eating fresh fruit and vegetables?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tony. said:

They certainly do not correct poor eyesight.
The AREDS trial showed that very high dose vitamins improved the photographic appearance of a small percentage of patients with AMD. However,
- they DID NOT IMPROVE visual acuity
- they were of no benefit for mild & moderate AMD
- they were associated with significant side effects, incl anemia, increased risk of lung cancer in smokers, increased hip fractures in women, increased admissions to hospital in males for urinary tract obstructions

So, patients who are told to use high dose vitamins must be told to let their GP know (so they don't end up with colonoscopies etc for investigation of their anemia) & we only recommend them for patients with advanced disease in one eye (GA or CNV), and high risk drusen in their 2nd eye.

So how does Visionace differ from Ocuvite PreserVision, if at all?

Retinamark said:
They certainly do not correct poor eyesight.
The AREDS trial showed that very high dose vitamins improved the photographic appearance of a small percentage of patients with AMD. However,
- they DID NOT IMPROVE visual acuity
- they were of no benefit for mild & moderate AMD
- they were associated with significant side effects, incl anemia, increased risk of lung cancer in smokers, increased hip fractures in women, increased admissions to hospital in males for urinary tract obstructions

So, patients who are told to use high dose vitamins must be told to let their GP know (so they don't end up with colonoscopies etc for investigation of their anemia) & we only recommend them for patients with advanced disease in one eye (GA or CNV), and high risk drusen in their 2nd eye.

I dont know much about the diseases you mentioned; Im just starting optometry school this year so, my science knowledge only goes as far as Human Anatomy and Physiology, Histology, Biochem and Cell Biology. I dont remember learning that vitamins actually go to a concentrated area in the body (i.e the eye); we learned about water soluable and fat soluable vitamins (ADEK). Its interesting how such pills can affect only one part of the body system....( i thought our bodies were more complex than that)... :cool: