VISA process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowmellow

Usyd Dent Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes to get my VISA approved?:confused:
Oh and also do we have to renew our VISA every year? Hope not:scared:

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to reapply for a visa unless you transfer to a different program or university in Australia. The VISA process for US,Canadian, Japanese, and EU citizens is generally quick. You should get it within four to six weeks, I got mine in three. If you have some kind of bizarre disease or some other issue, then it might take longer.

So I finished/submitted my online application for the student visa(sept 25th) and then went to book my appoitment for the medical exam/chest X-ray only to find out that I can't get in until Oct 15th. Apparently there is only 1 panel doc in Manitoba. Anyhow, I got an email saying that I have 28 days from the 25th to have all the material submitted otherwise they will go ahead and process it with whatever is there. I emailed them and this is how they responded...

"Thank you for your email. We suppose that the correct date for your medical
examination will be on October 15th 2008, otherwise this could be a
problem.

If this is the right date once you done your medical examination and chest
x-ray, if you wish you could provide to us a tracking number of the courier
in case we need to trace your medicals."

I think they are saying that I should be okay with my Oct 15th date...not too sure:S

Members don't see this ad :)
"Thank you for your email. We suppose that the correct date for your medical
examination will be on October 15th 2008, otherwise this could be a
problem.

If this is the right date once you done your medical examination and chest
x-ray, if you wish you could provide to us a tracking number of the courier
in case we need to trace your medicals."

wow. Too many fragments to process. Your guess is as good as mine. I would email them and ask someone who took college English to respond.

HAHAHAHAHA....think I'll call the embassy...HAHAHAHAHA...

The embassy doesn't take calls for visa inquiries or information. You will need to call AU's visa information line at 1-888-990-8888

That is strange that you have only 28 days to submit the results of your tests. I did a paper application and didn't pay attention to the fine print, and ended up submitting it a month early (apparently they will issue the visa a maximum of 4 months prior to your planned arrival in Australia) but I don't recall any 28 day deadline. I'm not sure how they can process your visa without it given that those results are one of the major criteria for obtaining the student visa (other than demonstrating you've been accepted by an Aus. university) I'd say it looks like they are willing to wait a couple days to receive the results of your medical. Something that could throw a wrench into this timing, at least for the panel doc I went to, they only courier results once a week. So when you go for your appointment, i'd find out if they have the same policy and do what I can to convince them to send your stuff ASAP.

That is strange that you have only 28 days to submit the results of your tests. I did a paper application and didn't pay attention to the fine print, and ended up submitting it a month early (apparently they will issue the visa a maximum of 4 months prior to your planned arrival in Australia) but I don't recall any 28 day deadline. I'm not sure how they can process your visa without it given that those results are one of the major criteria for obtaining the student visa (other than demonstrating you've been accepted by an Aus. university) I'd say it looks like they are willing to wait a couple days to receive the results of your medical. Something that could throw a wrench into this timing, at least for the panel doc I went to, they only courier results once a week. So when you go for your appointment, i'd find out if they have the same policy and do what I can to convince them to send your stuff ASAP.

AU's visa application process is very confusing. Here is what I have learned, may be it will clear things up for other students. Now keep in mind that I am applying from USA as a USA citizen. Things might be different from other countries, thought I cannot imagine them being very different than from here in USA.

First. You cannot APPLY for AU visa until 4 months prior to your expected date of departure.

Second. AFTER you have applied, AND have received an acknowledgment letter from AU visa svc.....you will have 28 days to complete your medical requirements of visa application.

2 methods of applying:

#1 Online ( I will highly recommend this method); and #2 via paper application.

Online method:
-File your application online.
-pay visa fees online.
-make appt with physician right away.
-take your passport, plus cash (very important), plus 4 passport size pictures to your physician along with filled out part A of required health forms.
-Make sure you remind your doctor to do ALL the blood work (HIV, Hep C, Hep B, VDRL). Some AU visas DO NOT require ALL blood work, which is why physicians forget about doing all these labs.
-It takes about 2 weeks for the physician to mail in all of your paper work.
-From then on.....I really don't know what happens....since I am still waiting for my visa!

Paper applications might be slightly different.

Also, things to know. If your country is under category 1:
-You DO NOT need to mail your passport to AU visa svc. You will be issued an electronic visa which will automatically scan with your passport at the airport. In rare cases, the visa svc may ask you to mail your passport, but again for most of category 1 applicants it will not be necessary.
-You also DO NOT need to send in a bank statement, unless the visa svc specifically ask for it.

Hope this helps.

Ok I called the number(thank btw)...they were fairly helpful and didn't seem the least bit worried/concerned about the time. They just recommended that once I'm done the medical exam I should email them the date it was done AND give them a tracking number (once it's in the mail).

-Make sure you remind your doctor to do ALL the blood work (HIV, Hep C, Hep B, VDRL). Some AU visas DO NOT require ALL blood work, which is why physicians forget about doing all these labs.

They require VDRL too? the online visa application told me I only needed to be tested for Hep B antigens, Hep C antibodies, and HIV. I don't remember seeing anything about the VDRL test?

I think it says where clinically indicated.

I think it says where clinically indicated.

My health forms had a section for VDRL, so the physician sent that as well. I am assuming it is standard, but neulite may be right as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
i went for my med exam today and my doctor told me NO bloodwork is required for a student visa (she knows i'll be studying medz). I insisted (as I've been reading about ppl who've got it done) and she got irritated, then she told me she's knows the process and that bloodwork is required for doctors, dentists, nurses. Ultimately, she is going to send the application WITHOUT bloodwork! I'm skeptical, but I don't know what to do now. Will my application be rejected/put on hold because the doctor (panel doc) wouldn't do the bloodwork.

stressed...

i went for my med exam today and my doctor told me NO bloodwork is required for a student visa (she knows i'll be studying medz). I insisted (as I've been reading about ppl who've got it done) and she got irritated, then she told me she's knows the process and that bloodwork is required for doctors, dentists, nurses. Ultimately, she is going to send the application WITHOUT bloodwork! I'm skeptical, but I don't know what to do now. Will my application be rejected/put on hold because the doctor (panel doc) wouldn't do the bloodwork.

stressed...

I'd definately look into it if I were you. Thats strange that she thinks no bloodwork is required, the first thing I got when I went to my panel doc was a requisition for bloodwork. And it isn't just bloodwork either, you have to get a urinalysis as well, although I thought I saw a post somewhere that they are just checking for diabetes.

stressed...

I agree. My online application clearly stated that I needed HIV, Hep B, and Hep C tests, and a CXR.

The physician you went to didn't know what she was talking about. Since you will be a medical student, you will be dealing with patients who may have any of the above illnesses, so it is essential that you know what your baseline status is.

I suggest you call her and tell her and demand blood work along with CXR.

just wonder how many of u guys gotten aussie visa approved yet? (applied in canada or the states?)

just wonder how many of u guys gotten aussie visa approved yet? (applied in canada or the states?)

Approved here. Took about a week. Went through Washington DC though. It might be different in Ottawa.

Strange. It has been 3 weeks for me, but I am still waiting to hear from them.

I talked to someone from Australian Immigration in Ottawa and they looked into my file and said that blood work is NOT a required portion of my application. She said they deal with applications on a case-by-case basis, so I MAY be asked to submit bloodwork by a case officer, but when she went into my file, she mentioned that I did not need blood work. She also mentioned that the bloodwork portion of the visa application has CHANGED from last year and they no longer make it a REQUIREMENT. My doctor also personally confirmed this. So right now, I don't know what to believe.:confused:

Call this number just to make sure...it's the help line they should know forsure.
1-888-990-8888

Thats a tough one, I'd almost say just get the bloodwork done and send it to them just in case; but that peace of mind comes at a price of $80, and if it ends up being unnecessary...

I've had my visa for a few weeks now. Not sure how much help it will be to anybody as most seem to be doing on-line applications, but I did a paper one and sent it in 3 weeks or so too "early" (visa can only be issued 4 months prior to departure date). I had to fedex my passport so they could attach the visa, and it was sent monday and I had it back by friday (I live in Calgary, so thats more or less an immediate turnaround). Keep in mind some ''delays'' may be due to medical exam results not being sent in an expeditious manner, so waiting 3-4 weeks shouldn't necessarily be of concern.

Hey,
Where did you go for the bloodwork in Calgary? Did they draw it at the physicians office?
Thnx

The whole idea of a 'pannel doc' is a little sketchy. Especially since there is only 1 in Calgary now who is booking appts. They quoted the price to do the exam as 110$ which is what my regular GP charges but 100$ for the mailing (I'd like to know how they send it because I checked with Canada post and they charge 50$ to send priority mail). They want 95$ for the lab tests as well. I have very recently had one of the tests and have the results from my GP and they were not clear if they wouldn't accept it. Since all that testing is sent to the prov lab I don't see why it would be a problem.

I realize they want someone who they think is certified but your own GP would be able to provide a clearer picture of your health.... sorry i'm ranting. It just irritated me that this is costing 450 for a visa application and then 295$ for the medical - and they only accept cash (more sketchy). I'm defn asking for a receipt.

It was suprisingly simple for me. Granted I am American so it may be different but Canada does have socialized medicine.

If you go to a university, which I am assuming most do, try the free health clinic on campus. The trick is to have all the paper work filled out and instruct the doc when you're there what needs to be signed. The blood work cost me next to nothing since I was at a university. The whole process costed about $550, which includes the visa fee.

What is frustrating is that the docs won't really take the time to grasp what is involved. So make sure you read EVERYTHING on the forms. I read the radiology and health exam forms 20 times it seems. Was approved in a week. You gotta be tenacious.

The whole idea of a 'pannel doc' is a little sketchy. Especially since there is only 1 in Calgary now who is booking appts. They quoted the price to do the exam as 110$ which is what my regular GP charges but 100$ for the mailing (I'd like to know how they send it because I checked with Canada post and they charge 50$ to send priority mail). They want 95$ for the lab tests as well. I have very recently had one of the tests and have the results from my GP and they were not clear if they wouldn't accept it. Since all that testing is sent to the prov lab I don't see why it would be a problem.

I realize they want someone who they think is certified but your own GP would be able to provide a clearer picture of your health.... sorry i'm ranting. It just irritated me that this is costing 450 for a visa application and then 295$ for the medical - and they only accept cash (more sketchy). I'm defn asking for a receipt.

I paid $600 for my physical.........I'm not gonna start a ranting session because it will be too long to post:(

Let's just say that I am not exactly happy either, especially since the Physician initially told me that it will cost me $350 (including labs, cxr, and physical)....off course, once I drove for an hour to get to his office, he told me that it will cost $600.

Not exactly my idea of a fun day.

It was suprisingly simple for me. Granted I am American so it may be different but Canada does have socialized medicine.

If you go to a university, which I am assuming most do, try the free health clinic on campus. The trick is to have all the paper work filled out and instruct the doc when you're there what needs to be signed. The blood work cost me next to nothing since I was at a university. The whole process costed about $550, which includes the visa fee.

What is frustrating is that the docs won't really take the time to grasp what is involved. So make sure you read EVERYTHING on the forms. I read the radiology and health exam forms 20 times it seems. Was approved in a week. You gotta be tenacious.

I thought we could ONLY go to Panel approved doctor, and University Physician is not likely to be on the list of panel approved doctors.

I think you lucked out, I know I was specifically told to ONLY go to a panel approved doctor. The rules may have changed so I guess I would advise future applicants to call visa svc call center first to check for updates.

cheers.

I thought we could ONLY go to Panel approved doctor, and University Physician is not likely to be on the list of panel approved doctors.

I think you lucked out, I know I was specifically told to ONLY go to a panel approved doctor. The rules may have changed so I guess I would advise future applicants to call visa svc call center first to check for updates.

cheers.

Although I did this in America I was able to go to any doc I wanted. It does say on the application online that you MUST see a panel doctor. However, this seems to apply to places where medical professionals are less regulated so they made this a general rule. In the US, not sure about Canada (email Alison at OzTREKK to confirm) you are allowed to see any MD and radiologist you wish. No nurses or DO's of any kind though.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just received my VISA approval today. My doc submitted my documents in last thursday and today is Wednesday. It took LESS THAN A WEEK! And that too, being a Thanksgiving weekend! I'm amazed at the efficiency! And get this, I DID NOT, I REPEAT, DID NOT REQUIRE ANY BLOODWORK! So for any doc who tells you its a requirement, he/she is either misinformed or you guys are getting ripped! And for those of you who did bloodwork...I'm sorry to say that the blood you gave up, was for nothing :(

And oh, compared to a few of you, it seems I may have gotten a bargain price as well. I did my med exam for 140 and the chest xray for 40... so $180 overall! And my doc was AMAZINGLY NICE! She phoned me in the middle of last week to assure me that the app would go through and I need not worry, as I had been worried during the checkup about the bloodwork "requirement". I'm thinkin about giving her a "Thank you" call.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you guys know that I just received my VISA approval today. My doc submitted my documents in last thursday and today is Wednesday. It took LESS THAN A WEEK! And that too, being a Thanksgiving weekend! I'm amazed at the efficiency! And get this, I DID NOT, I REPEAT, DID NOT REQUIRE ANY BLOODWORK! So for any doc who tells you its a requirement, he/she is either misinformed or you guys are getting ripped! And for those of you who did bloodwork...I'm sorry to say that the blood you gave up, was for nothing :(

Well I have to say that you got it without any bloodwork is a little suprising. My visa said that since I am going to work in a healthcare field that I must show that I'm free from certain things.

In any event, you still need to have blood work done for the program. Form one must be turned in on the first day of orientation (for UQ) showing immunity and tests for heb b, c, and hiv. Not sure about the other programs.

Congrats though on the bargain and time! It seems you're ahead of the bell curve with this whole visa process.

yes, that's correct. bloodwork and immunizations do need to be completed as requirements for entering ANY medical school or any clinical field of study, for that matter. But for the purpose of obtaining an Australian student visa, it is NOT required. At least I know that's true now for students in Canada. Apparently, the status of this requirement changed JUST last year, so it is a relatively new rule change.

Hey,
Where did you go for the bloodwork in Calgary? Did they draw it at the physicians office?
Thnx

I went to the doctor at BowGlen centre on 16th ave (just south of foothills), and they sent me to the market mall professional center provincial lab; which is convenient as there is a radiology clinic (radiology consultants associated) just down the hall from the provincial lab. I don't think you need an appointment for the radiologist, but if you give them a call you can kill two birds with one stone.

The lab collects ~$10 up front, and then later sends a bill for $80 for the hepatitis and HIV tests they run.

I called the 1-888 number posted above and asked about the pannel doc and bloodwork.

I was firmly told to follow the forms (so I do need those tests) and that I must see a pannel doctor.

I tried getting into the Bow Valley clinic but Dr. Sood is moving and they are not booking anymore clinics for him.

This is a little werid to ask - but did they do your urinalysis at the doctors office when you went?

I called the 1-888 number posted above and asked about the pannel doc and bloodwork.

I was firmly told to follow the forms (so I do need those tests) and that I must see a pannel doctor.

I tried getting into the Bow Valley clinic but Dr. Sood is moving and they are not booking anymore clinics for him.

This is a little werid to ask - but did they do your urinalysis at the doctors office when you went?

Thats too bad, hopefully you can get an appointment with Dr. Lam fairly soon. The urinalysis was done at the lab (I believe that is the ~$10 upfront cost), the only thing that was done at Dr. Sood's office was the check-up. I'm not certain (for some reason I remember some people saying they had bloodwork/urinalysis done at their panel docs' office) but I would assume that the procedure at Dr. Lam's office will be similar to that of Dr. Sood. If so, and if Market mall is convenient for you, i'd push to have your bloodwork/chest xray done there (or look around to see if there is a provincial lab near another radiologist). As well, on the panel doc form, they list the company "radiology consultants" so I would think you need to go to one of their locations and not just any radiologist.

This is a money making machine if I've ever seen one. I'm from Canada and I'm not use to paying anything for medical care. I understand this is not necessary and therefore we are paying out of pocket, but it hurts none the less. On the other hand, I've never been offered a next day appointment for a physical before ;)

I haven't seen a panel doctor yet(waiting for my appointment next week), but my advice is as follows:

1- have a look at all the panel doctors in your area. They all charge different fees. Some include everything ie. exam + postage and others charge you extra for things. One place tried to charge me $100 for postage. The receptionist actually tried to tell me when I asked why so expensive that it is because the doctor physically takes the letter to the post office and mails it himself. Are you kidding me??? I work in a doctors office and I know there is no way in hell any doctor physically goes to the postoffice themselves. She insisted that he did and that it costs a lot to mail something to Australia. I later found out that the letter was to go to Ottawa not Australia. HMMMMMMMM
2- If you can - get your family doctor to order the blood tests for you and take the requistion to the panel doctor. This way they can be put through OHIP and a copy sent to your panel doctor. This will save you a bit of money. We should all probably have those tests done anyway so I think OHIP should foot the bill - I know I only see the doc once a year for a physical but pay a ton in taxes to support the system
3- If you are in the Toronto area DO NOT GO SEE DR. PINTO on College Street. I am going to Dr. Klein at the Briar Hill Medical Center and his fees are the cheapest in the area and include everything. Dr. Pinto's office was misleading and has hidden fees - ie. $100 postage.

I will write again once I've actually completed the process, but for now I hope this helps anyone going through the process in my area.

ARGH!!!! Man is this VISA process expensive!

My health forms were submitted on Monday, and I was approved on Thursday!!
I guess paying $1100 did pay off in the end.

Hey what did your panel Doc's check your blood for?
Mine just did the Hep B, Hep C and HIV...Not the VDRL

I am not a 100% sure, but I think he did do a VDRL.

Hey there D. Nope, no VDRL here. I inquired about it but it says "where clinically indicated". I assume any history or signs that the doc might feel it necessary to test. I got Hep B, C, and HIV. Plus the urinalysis and x-ray.

I should recommend getting things together for the UQ Form 1 ahead of time. Where the visa requires a hep B antigen, UQ requires a hep B antibody. They may not care either way but I did both just case. They also want your tet-dip shot record from your youth which was a headache to get.

Hey there D. Nope, no VDRL here. I inquired about it but it says "where clinically indicated". I assume any history or signs that the doc might feel it necessary to test. I got Hep B, C, and HIV. Plus the urinalysis and x-ray.

I should recommend getting things together for the UQ Form 1 ahead of time. Where the visa requires a hep B antigen, UQ requires a hep B antibody. They may not care either way but I did both just case. They also want your tet-dip shot record from your youth which was a headache to get.

Hep B antigen suggests active Hep B infection, I think the Embassy wants to know whether the applicant entering AU is infected or not.

Hep B antibody usually means immunity from Hep B virus (usually through vaccination). All health care programs require it to make sure that future students are protected against Hep B infection while they are providing patient care.

Hi all,
OK, so panel doctor for the visa. I filled in the forms (Form 26 and Form 160), but I'm confused on how to fill question #10 Part A.

How long do you intend staying in Australia
-Permanently?
-Temporarily? How long?

I think I would like to do my intern year and get registered there, but honestly, I have no idea what will happen next. How should I fill it out? Would it affect whether or not I would get my visa? How have people filled it in the past?

Hey,
I also hope to do an internship there but for the sake of the application I think I just put that I'll be staying for 4 years. I don't think that should be an issue for when you are applying for internship/PR later, because I believe the VISA will have to be renewed anyways.

I'm pretty sure you can only say 4 years. Your visa application has to match with what the school is sending to immigration. Your letter of enrollment will say 4 years and so if you put 5 or 6 years they won't match up. After 4 years you would not be on a student visa anymore and therefore would have to reapply at that time.

Hi all,
OK, so panel doctor for the visa. I filled in the forms (Form 26 and Form 160), but I'm confused on how to fill question #10 Part A.

How long do you intend staying in Australia
-Permanently?
-Temporarily? How long?

I think I would like to do my intern year and get registered there, but honestly, I have no idea what will happen next. How should I fill it out? Would it affect whether or not I would get my visa? How have people filled it in the past?

Student visas are classified as temporary and cover the time to be spent in AU for education purposes only.

Hi everyone,

I'm definitely a little late in the game to start applying for my visa, but I finally got my confirmation of enrollment from Sydney yesterday (many pestering emails later...). Anyhow, as soon as I got the CoE I applied for the Oz visa, and here's my question for the medical stuff- has anyone gone to get their medical done in Quebec?
Either that, or did anyone go to a Radiology Clinic for their chest X-ray and then go to a doctor elsewhere? I'm asking because under the Quebec listings there's 2 radiology clinics without doctors...and since I work in one of the hospitals with said radiology clinic, I figured I'd get my chest X-ray done there :)

So, just wondering if it's possible to do the X-ray at one location, and the medical elsewhere- as long as it's still a panel doc. I'll give the 888 number a call tomorrow as well...

Cheers!

If you get a job after graduation in Australia, you apply for a 457 which is renewable yearly, though some places will give it to you for the entire 4 years.

In your second year (year after internship) you will still be on a 457, but you can apply for your PR. This should take anywhere between 2 weeks - 1 year+ to get.

hey delamer23:

If it helps you at all; i'm in Alberta and had everything done at different places. First I went to my panel doc who gave me forms for the bloodwork, which was done at a provincial lab, and for the chest xray which was done at an approved radiologist. Just make sure that the radiologist you go to is approved, for me it was "radiologist consultants associated"