VIOXX free article, help plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutdmax

Accepted PharmD Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hI all ,

I am going to do a presentation about VIOXX and why the drug raised the effects of heart attack , I am trying to find a research study that confirm this, i found many but i have to pay for them to be able to download the article, can someone give me a link or free article, i appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

You might try going through your university's library. A know a lot of schools pay the subscriptions to the journals so you can get them online. I have to sign-in through the library website to do it, so maybe something similar exists for you.

You might try going through your university's library. A know a lot of schools pay the subscriptions to the journals so you can get them online. I have to sign-in through the library website to do it, so maybe something similar exists for you.

i did do that, but my school library have nothing, can you help plz

Members don't see this ad :)
hI all ,

I am going to do a presentation about VIOXX and why the drug raised the effects of heart attack , I am trying to find a research study that confirm this, i found many but i have to pay for them to be able to download the article, can someone give me a link or free article, i appreciate it

Search for theAPPROVE and VIGOR studies.

There are a number of free articles through PubMed.

I would probably bypass VIGOR, and refer to the FDA's analysis of the sham that was VIGOR. These documents would largely be available free of charge to the public.

+1, these should be all you need

They can increase cardiac events because they selectively inhibit COX2, leaving COX1 alone, so the COX1 increases thromboxane levels.
Huh? I've never heard of an increase in thromboxane level due to COX2 inhibition. That doesn't seem right. Can you source that?

Prostaglandins are thought to have an additional function in maintaining vasculature. Therefore, if COX2 is inhibited, small injuries within the vasculature will not heal, which could lead to a CV event.
- http://circres.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/96/12/1240

Just a little FYI...
[FONT=verdana,arial]"Accordingly, many clinical trials were initiated to assess whether COX-2 inhibitors can prevent cancer progression. It is therefore unfortunate that risk of heart attack increases significantly with rofecoxib (Vioxx), a clinical COX-2 inhibitor from Merck. Whether this side effect is mechanism-based, or a compound-specific phenomenon, is currently being hotly debated. Although this is a question that should be carefully assessed clinically, I can offer some personal views on this issue. Initially, COX-2 inhibitors were developed to reduce the gastrointestinal (GI) side effects of NSAIDs. In fact, in the US alone, more than 16,000 patients are dying every year due to the side effects of NSAIDs. Therefore, for the patients who are at risk for the GI side effects of NSAIDs, COX-2 inhibitors appear to be a wonderful blessing. However, for the patients at risk of heart attack, it is a serious life-threatening issue. While the ratio of prostacyclin and thromboxane appears to play an important role in the heart, there are additional effects of COX-2 inhibition that have a strong selectivity. Functionally, COX-2 and COX-1 collaborate and compensate each other. For example, COX-1 appears to play a role as important as COX-2 in some tissues, and for COX-2 autoregulation by PGE2 to work properly, it is essential for the basal level PGE2 to be secured by COX-1. Therefore, we are walking on the thin ice that is the delicate balance between COX-1 and COX-2. It may be wise to clinically assess this balance for each particular patient subpopulation. In other words, COX-2 inhibitors with the strongest selectivity may be used for patients with high GI risk, but without heart problems, whereas those with partial selectivity may be used for patients with heart risk." -.http://www.esi-topics.com/cox-2/interviews/MakotoMarkTaketo.html

Search for theAPPROVE and VIGOR studies.

How is this recommendation supposed to help this young clueless individual? He needs these articles for "free" and his school library "have nothing."

Thanks All for your Inputs, Yeah I am still confused and I can not find an article that talk why Vioxx effect the Heart , I searched Pubmed but most of them are not free ! , can someone provide me a link for the research article since some of you might have an access , thanks alottt

Thanks All for your Inputs, Yeah I am still confused and I can not find an article that talk why Vioxx effect the Heart , I searched Pubmed but most of them are not free ! , can someone provide me a link for the research article since some of you might have an access , thanks alottt
Start by researching "selective COX2 inhibitors and cardiovascular".
This is my last lead until you can give us feedback... http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/296.13.jed60058v1

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a great article, but i am looking for a typical sceintific article with methods and materials, plus results and discussion...
Is there a professional school nearby? Do you work at a hospital that has access to clinical journals?

Is there a professional school nearby? Do you work at a hospital that has access to clinical journals?

no i dont work at hospital and my i searched at my school but nothing, my source right now is the internet,:mad:

no i dont work at hospital and my i searched at my school but nothing, my source right now is the internet,:mad:
Can you access OVID or IDIS at school? There are a few more databases, but those are the two that I use most frequently.

Can you access OVID or IDIS at school? There are a few more databases, but those are the two that I use most frequently.

no i cant, thanks for the help , but i am still looking for an article with methods, i found some but i have to pay in order to get them, do u have access to any one of these sites, can you send me an article ?

no i cant, thanks for the help , but i am still looking for an article with methods, i found some but i have to pay in order to get them, do u have access to any one of these sites, can you send me an article ?
Nope. I'm at home relaxin' and celebrating this lovely rainy day. I wanted to go to Jazz Fest today, but I'm glad that I didn't spend the cash. It's been raining all afternoon.

You can access OVID and other databases through your regular public library. I normally use the university's database access because they subscribe to more medical databases than the library.

I'm just going to have to come out and tell you that you are not looking hard enough. I know for a fact someone in this thread has LINKED a free article examining this issue. Yes, one that has methods; keep looking little fella, you will get there soon enough.

I'm just going to have to come out and tell you that you are not looking hard enough. I know for a fact someone in this thread has LINKED a free article examining this issue. Yes, one that has methods; keep looking little fella, you will get there soon enough.
That reminds me of an old joke.

Scroll down.....

Scroll up..............

i am looking hard, but i dont want a complex paper, i only have 15 mins to present and my prof is very strict on time, i will keep lookingggg:eek:

al right i give up :eek:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=558288

The very first article should be of some help... If not, there are many more on this site.

Oops... That was the link to the article.

This is the link to the search results page:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?term=vioxx infarction&db=pmc&cmd=search

!! This article has the methods in it, listed under the heading "Methods." This is a pretty basic article... It doesn't have to be that detailed, just take the pertinent info and make it more understandable. This is a pretty good article, in my opinion. Case control will probably be the only thing you're going to find for this type of thing. I don't know how else to spell it out!

And the other link has MANY other articles for you to choose from. I'm just not sure what exactly you're looking for besides these; maybe you're not either.

!! This article has the methods in it, listed under the heading "Methods." This is a pretty basic article... It doesn't have to be that detailed, just take the pertinent info and make it more understandable. This is a pretty good article, in my opinion. Case control will probably be the only thing you're going to find for this type of thing. I don't know how else to spell it out!

And the other link has MANY other articles for you to choose from. I'm just not sure what exactly you're looking for besides these; maybe you're not either.

thanks for the help, well my professor wants me to find an article that explains why Vioxx caused heart strokes in patients taking the drug, most of the papers i already found include the one you gave me have only statistics, he is loooking for methods and protocols done on real individuals or mice, maybe its just too hard to find one since most researchers and MERCK want to keep it confidential !