Violence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed an uptick in violent patient and families?

How about knives and guns?

What, if anything, is your hospital doing about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes

Kind of (a couple particular examples but not a real trend)

Nothing

We've specifically and repeatedly complained to our hospital head. In response we got a neat little "safety door" which looks like the bottom half of a Dutch door near the workstations. It does nothing, and while it has a lock, you can obviously reach right over it and unlock it from the other side. I'd rather have a pizza party. It honestly is probably worse than if they did nothing at all, because it is so insultingly nothing.

• Sad
Have you noticed an uptick in violent patient and families?

How about knives and guns?

What, if anything, is your hospital doing about it?

2 weeks ago, one of my system ERs where I’m credentialed at had 18 GSW patients. Gang related. Waiting room was full of people fighting. About 500 people were outside the ER trying to get inside and the place had to be barricaded shut by police officers. Made national news.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
1. No, but we're in "low season".

2. No.

3. Lolz. Admin won't care until the boardroom gets "shot up".

There's been an increase in violence in general. Can't even drive down the road for fear of someone unloading a clip on you because you're driving the speed limit, didn't race through a yellow light, merged in front of someone, etc. It's ridiculous.

There's been an increase in violence in general. Can't even drive down the road for fear of someone unloading a clip on you because you're driving the speed limit, didn't race through a yellow light, merged in front of someone, etc. It's ridiculous.

Ahh. Atlanta.

They need to put admin offices next to ED

They need to put admin offices next to ED
In the ER waiting room! I suggested for our last, super clueless ER nurse manager that her office could be a clear cubicle in the middle of the waiting room.

Instead she got promoted. At least she’s not at my hospital anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yes

No

Straight up gaslighting. Had a terrible night, two of my nurses got assaulted. Nurse manager for the ED was on that night so saw all of it. Next morning get a “culture of safety” survey. Literally within 2 hours of finishing this terrible overnight shift. I misinterpreted this subject line to mean they were actually going to be asking for our opinions on what we thought safety was like in the hospital. Instead it’s all “how are you going to keep patients safe”. Like “how are you going to make sure they don’t hurt themselves by getting out of bed and falling?” Jesus, idk, keep the bed rails up? Oh wait, that’s a restraint now… F***ing *****s up in the c suite in this country everywhere. I closed that s*** after three questions and about rage emailed the system ceo who sent it out about how out of touch he was. Decided better of that… Still need the job for now.

Yes and on planes, in classrooms etc tok

When I'm in charge, I will require all C-suites be open-configuration and moved to the center of the ED. The problem will then be solved in 24 hours.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes substantially
Yes smaller but real

Nothing, of course. Make lots of noise. Accomplish nothing.
That said I probably wouldn't be totally happy with their response unless the Marines put a couple pillboxes at the entrances and turned the place into the green zone, so...

Reactions: 1 user
When I'm in charge, I will require all C-suites be open-configuration and moved to the center of the ED. The problem will then be solved in 24 hours.
Why not just eliminate the C-suites altogether? That will free up more space for improved doctor's lounge/bar.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
“Some hospital administrators encourage staff to placate aggressive visitors and patients because they are worried about getting bad reviews”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users