Vet med second thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kthopefullydvm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a sophomore so I will be applying to vet schools for the first time next year. Recently though I’ve been having a lot of anxiety surrounding applying, getting in, and what happens afterward (I’m a generally anxious person so trying to think about lifelong career choices obviously is not easy).
So far I think I have a pretty good shot at getting in (on track for good experience hours, good grades, extracurriculars, etc) but I’m just very worried that I won’t be accepted and I have no idea what I would do as a career if that were to happen. I’ve always enjoyed science but there’s so many different options in science that it’s very overwhelming and I definitely want to work with animals somehow in my career.
These thoughts have also brought up other worries that maybe I shouldn’t even be a vet/don’t have what it takes. I’ve heard so many things about vet school being so stressful that it makes people lose passion for the field and that really worries me. But again, I have no idea what else to do as a career. I’ve always wanted to be a veterinarian, so I haven’t really thought about much else. I also want to stress that in my experience that I have so far working in a veterinary setting (mostly with vets at an animal shelter), I have really enjoyed it and I feel very in my element doing that kind of work.

I guess I’m just asking for advice. Has anyone gone through this worry spiral in the past/is going through this right now and has any tips? Are there other good career options with animals/science that anyone knows of?

I really appreciate any help you guys have to offer. Thanks for reading my scattered rant!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You sound so much like me so I had to respond. Personally, my anxiety around applying/getting in/getting rejected has been eased by the fact that I decided I'll take a gap year after graduating to work full time in a clinic, work on my applications and hopefully travel for interviews. I'd also probably be on track with hours without this time, but I'm hoping I'll feel more confident after taking a year to improve myself as a person and also to have a full time job in the field.

I feel the same about worrying that I don't have what it takes. I don't always love every science pre-requisite course I've had to take (and pretty much hated chemistry and physics) so I worry that if the rigor of those courses overwhelmed me, I'll definitely be overwhelmed in vet school. I think this is just a reality we would have to expect in any pre-health graduate program- it'd be hard and our motivation would definitely be tested. However, I know that I wouldn't be as happy in any other pre-health related field, and I know at this point after suffering through so many pre-reqs I can't abandon a route in medicine. I also agree with you in feeling very in your element doing the veterinary work. I think it's totally normally to doubt yourself in any path you take, but if it was easy everyone would do it :)

I think you'll find that many of us on this forum felt that way. You'll also find that plenty of us did not get admitted the first time we applied ( :hello: ). It's really important to not tie your self-worth to an admissions decision, because if you do and you don't have a successful cycle, it's rough mentally. You are still so early in the process that you have time to do research so you can apply strategically. We see pre-vet students every year who think that a shotgun approach is best and they just apply to as many schools as they can afford, but don't bother to check the requirements for each school or find out what areas are highly emphasized in their application review process. You give yourself the best shot by applying smart - applying to your in-state, if you have one, plus other schools that put more weight on strong areas of your application (for example, if you have a strong last 45 credits, schools like Kansas and Minnesota are ones to think about).

The world doesn't end if you don't get in right away. I promise. :)

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi hello your post sounds so much like me a few years ago that I have to throw in my two cents! I'll start by saying PLEASE do not be discouraged if you don't get in on your first application!! Long story short, it took me three years of applying and interviewing to get an acceptance. I was honestly terrified for the majority of those 3 years not knowing what was going to happen. You've already gotten some great advice, absolutely do your research and be strategic about what schools you apply to. I came up with some schools that I liked based on their websites and made so many lists about different prereqs and what they were all looking for. This isn't exactly an option right now with the state of the world, but when you can, take time to visit different schools you think you might even be remotely interested in, ask questions, see if you can talk to current students about their experiences. Don't just jump in blind if you don't have to.

I ended up having 2 gap years between undergrad and vet school (graduated early). At the time I was super stressed about the unknown and had started looking into some different Master's programs, but looking back I'm so grateful for that time. I mainly spent my gap years working as a vet assistant, and took a couple classes online to be able to apply to more programs. I had a lot of personal growth during my gap, which I think was just what I needed to finally get that "yes."

I know this is easier said than done, but be confident in yourself. It sounds like you're on a good track, so just don't give up!

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you guys so much for replying! It makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only person feeling this way. I wish you all the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I’d also like to add that if you decide applying and being a vet is what you want, definitely go for it. But if you haven’t considered any other careers maybe put some thought into that, too.

I think sometimes you can go into undergrad with blinders on about what you want to do and not consider other options, when college is a great time to do so!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone,

I am currently a sophomore so I will be applying to vet schools for the first time next year. Recently though I’ve been having a lot of anxiety surrounding applying, getting in, and what happens afterward (I’m a generally anxious person so trying to think about lifelong career choices obviously is not easy).
So far I think I have a pretty good shot at getting in (on track for good experience hours, good grades, extracurriculars, etc) but I’m just very worried that I won’t be accepted and I have no idea what I would do as a career if that were to happen. I’ve always enjoyed science but there’s so many different options in science that it’s very overwhelming and I definitely want to work with animals somehow in my career.
These thoughts have also brought up other worries that maybe I shouldn’t even be a vet/don’t have what it takes. I’ve heard so many things about vet school being so stressful that it makes people lose passion for the field and that really worries me. But again, I have no idea what else to do as a career. I’ve always wanted to be a veterinarian, so I haven’t really thought about much else. I also want to stress that in my experience that I have so far working in a veterinary setting (mostly with vets at an animal shelter), I have really enjoyed it and I feel very in my element doing that kind of work.

I guess I’m just asking for advice. Has anyone gone through this worry spiral in the past/is going through this right now and has any tips? Are there other good career options with animals/science that anyone knows of?

I really appreciate any help you guys have to offer. Thanks for reading my scattered rant!

I can't add much that the others haven't already said quite wonderfully, but I thought I'd give my support as a fellow anxious/uncertain person. It's okay not to know how you want to spend your life. I know you've probably heard that repeatedly from other people, because a lot of people tried to say the same thing to me when I was younger, but it's a scary thing to embrace when you're at this weird stage of life where Planning A Future and Choosing A Career are such big themes. There are a couple of lines about it in that horribly corny Baz Luhrmann "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)" that had already been haunting graduations for years when I finished high school:

"Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life.
The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives.
Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds still don't."

And I remember thinking... right. Easy to say that when you're Baz Luhrmann and you're artsy and wealthy and can dabble in all kinds of projects with famous people. The rest of us have to find a way to pay rent and hold our heads high when we try to explain to someone what we do for a living.

But now that I'm older and those lines are hitting a little too close to home... it really isn't the worst thing. I discovered when I was finishing college the first time - as a pre-law student majoring in English and philosophy, of all things - that I absolutely did not want to be a lawyer anymore, and I had no idea what to do with my life. A traumatic event when I was 19 had me in treatment for PTSD for most of my college years, and I was anxious to the point of suicidal. People tend to paint life as this natural progression of landmarks (graduate high school! finish college! move forward with a career!) as if you're just supposed to know how you want to plan out your life with very little experience in the world. When you don't, it's terrifying.

I ended up doing a lot of different things with my life (ran a training facility for show horses, launched a business, did some freelance writing, dabbled in ad design, worked with special needs individuals, etc.) before vet med caught my interest. I was actually in school to become a vet tech when one of my profs convinced me to try getting a biology degree and applying to vet school instead. I did. I start vet school at A&M this fall (COVID-19 permitting, I guess!). I'm in my 30s, about to go through vet school.... and to be perfectly honest, I still don't know what I want to do with my life. I know I don't want to work in a clinic setting. Research, public health, pharmacology, specializing in something, emergency medicine... I could see myself following one of those routes. But actually practicing in the sense that most people going to vet school dream of doing? That doesn't really appeal to me. So yes, believe me, I second guess myself too. There are enough aspects of vet med and the associated sciences that I truly love to convince me that this is the next logical step for me, though, and I have faith that it'll put me in a place to do whatever it is I'm meant to do.

And while I'm anxious, I'm also excited, and looking at some of my friends from high school and college (my first time, I mean!), I realize how valuable that is. A lot of them did exactly what they thought they were supposed to do, and followed the career path that they thought was the right choice when they were really too young to make such a decision, and some of them are truly miserable with where they've ended up. Please, please don't do that. Follow what you're passionate about, explore, and give yourself the freedom to change your mind. If you aren't sure about vet school, it's okay to take a break after undergrad and explore any other opportunities that seem interesting to you. You can always go back. If you do feel sure about vet school but worry about getting in... get over that. We all had that fear. A lot of people have to try more than once, and a lot stumble on some other passion they wouldn't have known they had if they hadn't been denied from vet school. If you get in and lose passion for the field, that can be okay, too. I know quite a few people who finished vet school, maybe even practiced a few years, but ultimately pursued a different career. I worked with a guy over the summer who practiced vet med for about 3 years before deciding to go to law school; he's a partner in a firm now and loves what he does. Honestly, give yourself permission to make some decisions that may not be right for the long term, and you'll be fine. Really.

Clearly I have rambled much too long here, and I should take my cat's decision to hurk her hairball on my keyboard as a sign that it's time for me to zip it. :sick: So sorry for the long post. But hang in there. We've probably all been where you are.

I’ve heard so many things about vet school being so stressful that it makes people lose passion for the field and that really worries me.

In my n=1 experience, I’ve made it three years through vet school and don’t hate it yet. It’s stressful at times but I’ve also really enjoyed it. I’m only moderately more cynical than I was when I started lol. Not everyone hates vet school...there’s parts that are frustrating or that I would do differently if I had that kind of power, but on balance Im thankful for the experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Lots of great points in here.

Just popping in to also note that if you do ultimately come to the conclusion that vet med is not for you, you have not failed. You’re just one step closer to the thing that is for you.

I mention this because while I did end up going to vet school, as a pre-vet I remember wrestling with thoughts of how I would feel like a failure if I decided not to pursue that career after focusing on it for so long. It’s really not true - and I think knowing that at the time would have relieved some pressure and anxiety.

I wish you all the best. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I’m on the other side of my first application cycle, and while I had about a 2-3 week period of depression surrounding my all-rejections-except-for-one-waitlist, I think I can speak to the best mindset for this: if you truly want to do this career, don’t let self-doubt stand in your way. Just because you don’t get into vet school the first, or even second, time does not mean you’ll never get in, and certainly doesn’t mean you’re undeserving of getting in, and even more so that you would not be a good vet. SO much of this process is luck of the draw - based on the applicant pool and their particular stats and which particular schools to which they applied. A certain GPA or experience level or essay could get you flat rejections one year, and multiple acceptances the next year. And again, while I literally have had multiple sob sessions about this, YOUR ADMISSIONS DECISIONS DO NOT EQUAL YOUR WORTH AS A PERSON OR A DOCTOR.

That being said, this process takes a little bit of grit and determination. You should be well-prepared for this to take one or two or possibly three rounds of applications to get in - it takes plenty of even the best, most capable vets multiple tries to get in. Be adaptable and relentless in your determination that you WILL get in, eventually. Have plans for gap years, and don’t be afraid to wait and take some time to create the absolute best application you possibly can. Take some time to learn about other professions, even! Maybe plan to take a summer or two off to do some temp work, or as a server, or in some other portion of the animal industry. All of my jobs in the political science/law/customer service/animal industry were incredibly informative to my current work as a vet assistant/tech/admin assistant and have helped me become a well-rounded person. As an undergrad, I’m assuming you are of traditional age, but even if not, don’t be in a rush to go to school IMMEDIATELY. Focus on developing some life and professional skills - I can say for certain that I would NOT have been ready for vet school straight out of undergrad.

But, as a career changer in the non-traditional camp, it is completely valid to decide this is a) too stressful, b) too much money, or c) just not the right fit. I have a super shiny expensive degree in international relations and Middle Eastern Studies, and haven’t used it once. It’s led to a rather unconventional professional life, but every experience has taught me something very important. You should also take a hard look at how much money you’re willing and prepared to pay to get in, and the price tags (and eventual loan repayment estimates) for your specific sets of schools. It’s very easy to say to go to one of the newer schools with a higher price tag, but the majority of vets I’ve spoken with who are unhappy with their debt load are ones who went to those very expensive schools. That’s something to consider when making your decision about whether you want this career regardless of cost. Again, it’s completely fine if your answer is a resounding “yes”, but you should go into things eyes wide open.

Please feel free to DM, I’m not the oldest on here, and I haven’t been successfully admitted to vet school, but I can definitely offer some wisdom on having an adult life before school. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
2019 vet school grad here. There is a lot of great advice already. But I ended up taking 2 gap years in between undergrad and vet school because I was confused and honestly kind of directionless. That ended up being SUCH a valuable time to find myself and decide that this was what I truly wanted to do. I honestly don’t think I would have made it through veterinary school without that time because I wouldn’t have had a purpose.

I also wrote a blog post on the topic, if you’re interested in reading it.

I am also available for questions.

:)
Riley Newson, DVM