Very nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

te3aa46

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No idea. Not really enough info here to make a decision for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What other information should I include?
Let me know, thank you.

I've read @Goro mention Osteopathic schools are usually forgiving for upward trends and some Allopathic schools do too. I do not know what schools have an sGPA cutoff though.

You haven't listed any ECs.
3 labs, 2 publications in manuscript. During post-bac I was Tutor/TA at my state school after I finished ochem ii.
Clinical shadowing ~80 hours.

3 labs, 2 publications in manuscript. During post-bac I was Tutor/TA at my state school after I finished ochem ii.
Clinical shadowing ~80 hours.

Any Clinical Volunteering/Employment? Working with the underserved? Community Service?

EDIT: Clinical volunteering may be difficult as of now, but you can probably secure a Scribing position without any certifications like EMT's/CNA's need. Nonetheless, it doesn't take too long to secure certification for CNA's (my colleague got theirs in 6 weeks) if you really want to do CNA work for some odd reason.

The scribing might secure a good LoR from a physician as well (sought out for commonly by DO schools). Seeing you have 80 shadowing hours I don't think an LoR should be difficult to obtain.

Any Clinical Volunteering/Employment? Working with the underserved? Community Service?

EDIT: Clinical volunteering may be difficult as of now, but you can probably secure a Scribing position without any certifications like EMT's/CNA's need. Nonetheless, it doesn't take too long to secure certification for CNA's (my colleague got theirs in 6 weeks) if you really want to do CNA work for some odd reason.

The scribing might secure a good LoR from a physician as well (sought out for commonly by DO schools). Seeing you have 80 shadowing hours I don't think an LoR should be difficult to obtain.

I've done a lot of clinical volunteering ~200
I was offered scribing position, but do you think any of these ECs would even help?

I graduated undergrad in the end of 2018 with a 2.71 cGPA
Did year of DIY post-bac (finished 43 credits with 4.0) during post-bac I was retaking and also taking O-Chem II and Physics II, my cumlative GPA went up to 3.01, didn't take MCAT.

Problem is my sGPA is low around 2.58 this was just because of my first couple of years of college where I was so depressed didn't attend classes, I was awful. But from that my DIY-postbac went well, I fixed myself and have gotten As in my past 43 credits in my DIY-postbac. Also, it'll take me 46 credits of science courses to get my sGPA to 3.0, I'm running out of money and I can't even afford to pay for my state college for more classes.

Applied to Ross (off-shore) without MCAT (since covid-19 they had no MCAT requirement for Fall). I got accepted directly, I shouldn't even go, right? Am I crazy for even thinking of going? I have a friend that went and did well, now doing rotations. I have talked to their alumni. But, should I just take anatomy, microbiology, upper level bio and take MCAT and then apply to US schools?

I am very aware the Caribbean is looked very down upon here, but I think if the student is ready and capable of Med School, it's a risk worth taking. I just wanted opinions, please just give me advice. I definitely understand all the pros/cons, I have been researching the Caribbean route for years, I have read every post possible about it, have talked to current and alumni. But in my situation, should I just wait?

Take the MCAT, ace it, and apply to an SMP then to a DO program. Your current GPAs are not good enough for medical either in the US or Caribbean (meaning you got in but you probably won't make it out from semester 1). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Take the MCAT, ace it, and apply to an SMP then to a DO program. Your current GPAs are not good enough for medical either in the US or Caribbean (meaning you got in but you probably won't make it out from semester 1). Good luck!

What type of SMP do you suggest I apply to? What programs would give me an opportunity with my GPA?

I've done a lot of clinical volunteering ~200
I was offered scribing position, but do you think any of these ECs would even help?

From what I read on these forums having 150+ hours of clinical volunteering; 150+ hours of community service; 40+ hours shadowing are a "must-haves". Research/TAing is icing on the cake.

P.S. SMP's cost a lot of money. I would maybe try posting all your details into confidential consultant forums to get expert help? Do not rule out Osteopathic (DO) Schools!

What type of SMP do you suggest I apply to? What are programs that would give me an opportunity with my GPA?

There are many SMPs that are affiliated with DO programs, which either gives a guaranteed interview/ or a direct admission into their first-year DO class.
Since taking more undergrad courses won't help your current GPAs, your best chance is to take the MCAT (and do very well on it) then apply to one of these SMPs aiming for a DO school. You can look at the MBS program at VCOM, LECOM, and others alike.

Read the postbacc threads and search around, but I highly recommend studying and taking the MCAT first. And I agree with the above, post in the CC forum and get help from faculty members.

There are many SMPs that are affiliated with DO programs, which either gives a guaranteed interview/ or a direct admission into their first-year DO class.
Since taking more undergrad courses won't help your current GPAs, your best chance is to take the MCAT (and do very well on it) then apply to one of these SMPs aiming for a DO school. You can look at the MBS program at VCOM, LECOM, and others alike.

Read the postbacc threads and search around, but I highly recommend studying and taking the MCAT first. And I agree with the above, post in the CC forum and get help from faculty members.
That makes sense, would I have any chance at MD at all if I take MCAT and do an SMP? Thank you very much.
Yes, I'll post on there thank you.

I graduated undergrad in the end of 2018 with a 2.71 cGPA
Did year of DIY post-bac (finished 43 credits with 4.0) during post-bac I was retaking and also taking O-Chem II and Physics II, my cumlative GPA went up to 3.01, didn't take MCAT.

Problem is my sGPA is low around 2.58 this was just because of my first couple of years of college where I was so depressed didn't attend classes, I was awful. But from that my DIY-postbac went well, I fixed myself and have gotten As in my past 43 credits in my DIY-postbac. Also, it'll take me 46 credits of science courses to get my sGPA to 3.0, I'm running out of money and I can't even afford to pay for my state college for more classes.

Applied to Ross (off-shore) without MCAT (since covid-19 they had no MCAT requirement for Fall). I got accepted directly, I shouldn't even go, right? Am I crazy for even thinking of going? I have a friend that went and did well, now doing rotations. I have talked to their alumni. But, should I just take anatomy, microbiology, upper level bio and take MCAT and then apply to US schools?

I am very aware the Caribbean is looked very down upon here, but I think if the student is ready and capable of Med School, it's a risk worth taking. I just wanted opinions, please just give me advice. I definitely understand all the pros/cons, I have been researching the Caribbean route for years, I have read every post possible about it, have talked to current and alumni. But in my situation, should I just wait?
RE: the bolded text. There is two flaws built into this thinking. One is that every kid bound for the Carib tinks that they can handle med school, and that's simply not true.

The other is that even if they can handle med school, the business model of the Carib predators is to cull some 50% of the Class because they don't have the rotations for them.

But back to you. 43 hrs of straight As is proof that the you of now is not the you of then.

Now it's time to ace the MCAT and then apply to those MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. Sorry, no list without a score.

Reactions: 3 users
I think that while it is good to be optimistic about your academic capabilities, it's equally important to back yourself up with results. So that YOU know without a doubt that you got this.

Ross is not 100% off the table since it's one of the big carib 3. But I would first advise undertaking the reinvention route. If you end up doing well in your courses, your confidence buildup should steer you to achieve the American route. Don't give up.

Reactions: 1 user