Very confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flavia28

Pharmacist
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand everything is uncertain right now, but this has been giving me a lot of anxiety since the day I matched. So, I just wanted to see if my questions could be answered.

1. Can residency programs cancel residency due to the COVID-19 pandemic we are all facing? I matched into a program at another state and signed the agreement last week but I have this eery feeling in the back of my mind that nothing is guaranteed right now. I don't know if this is paranoia or what.

2. Do I need to be licensed as an intern in the residency state before I graduate, in the event we cannot take/pass the naplex, mpje on time due to testing site postponing dates? I currently am an intern only in the state I go to pharmacy school in.

Thank you for your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

EASY answer: reach out to your site. These are ALL valid concerns. I assume they will accommodate given the current nationwide circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree ask your site. My site has said they (residency sites) have been in close communication with ACPE and recognize the year may need a little flexibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it. I guess I was panicking for no reason.

I understand everything is uncertain right now, but this has been giving me a lot of anxiety since the day I matched. So, I just wanted to see if my questions could be answered.

1. Can residency programs cancel residency due to the COVID-19 pandemic we are all facing? I matched into a program at another state and signed the agreement last week but I have this eery feeling in the back of my mind that nothing is guaranteed right now. I don't know if this is paranoia or what.

2. Do I need to be licensed as an intern in the residency state before I graduate, in the event we cannot take/pass the naplex, mpje on time due to testing site postponing dates? I currently am an intern only in the state I go to pharmacy school in.

Thank you for your insight!

1. Yes. This does have severe consequences to the institution if they had matched and accepted a contract though (which is true in your case). It's usually a accreditation withdrawal or revocation even in these circumstances if done to a resident in good standing (i.e. not at fault for competency or other issues). If this is done before the residency year commences, the candidate that was closed out is given special consideration the following year for the match or may scramble. If the institution gave the commitment and you signed to it, it is "guaranteed" that they are required to see to it or face those consequences. They should have not offered if they did not believe they could do it.

2. That is governed by your residency contract. In most states, yes, you must be an intern unless you are licensed before Day 1 of the residency as you are in training.

On the subject of delaying the start, there are specific limitations such that it cannot interfere with the timelines if a PGY-2 is to be pursued, so they effectively cannot start past August 1st.

Generally we require a pharmacist license on day 1 or you can be terminated - I could see there being delays as this is an unprecedented scenerio, if so, I think your site would require a tech license if you do anything that involved touching drugs -state laws may vary (not an intern license as you are no longer is school). Most places won't delay the start of the residency because that would delay your graduation, and due to FTE limits at the institution, you can't have two sets of residents at the same time. (It would put you over your allocated budget/FTE limit)