MD & DO (Very) bad start to undergrad, strong second attempt. Where should I aim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aladdin12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a strong upward trend in your GPA so you could receive MD interviews. I suggest these schools:
U Washington
Washington State
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your situation is similar to mine. Ignore the gpa % on msar, it will be useless for you. You will need to explain what happened, why you are still pursuing an MD, and what’s changed in your ps. Apply widely to schools you can see yourself fitting in at or want to attend. You should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
First of all, what a CRAZY turnaround! and what a kickass MCAT score! congratulations!!

Ive had a similar situation to you in terms of stats (<3.4 GPA with strong upward trend, high MCAT) and I've had success with both older and newer DO schools. Definitely apply DO and instate MD! Other ppl know more than me about which specific MD schools you should target. Good luck :)

@Goro: this is an example of a rock-solid reinvention; in addition to DO schools, state schools, and midtiers, OP might do well to add schools like Columbia and Dartmouth that like reinventors, no?

@Goro: this is an example of a rock-solid reinvention; in addition to DO schools, state schools, and midtiers, OP might do well to add schools like Columbia and Dartmouth that like reinventors, no?
Indeed.

@aladdin12 , I recommend:
Columbia
Pitt
Duke
BU
UCSF
U WA
Dartmouth
Emory
WSU
Vandy
Hofstra
Case
Sinai
Mayo
Tufts
Tulane
Drexel
Albany
Wake
Miami
Gtown
GWU
EVMS
Wayne State
Creighton
SLU
NYMC
Netter
NYU.LI
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Thanks everyone, this has given me a great starting point.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this what you mean @gonnif

Screenshot_20191019-154303~2.png