vertebrate embryology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken all the general non science courses that are required.
I have to add one more class to make me a full-time student but I don't want to add just any course and waste anymore time.

I am going to drop principles of ecology because it doesn't seem like it would be helpful in optometry school. I have no other classes to take becuase either it is not offered this semester or it conflicts with my current schedule. So I am extremely limited on what I can take. The only option I have right now is vertebrate embryology - vertebrate development based chiefly on frog, chick and pig embryos.

Is this something I should take?

I am currently a chemistry major. This course is not required for chemistry majors. However if I changed to a biology major (biomedical science), then this course is one of the required courses.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's your only option, then you kind of have to take it, right? It would definitely be better than ecology. I took that for my bio minor (required) and it was incredibly boring to me. By far the least relevant science class I took in undergrad.

Vertebrate embryology would be more relevant to optometry school. Not VERY relevant, but more relevant than ecology. Ecology was also required for me since I was a bio major, and I loved it. Worry about getting those pre-reqs in. Otherwise, take what you want to take. In your case, I would take ecology, but that's just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about what is more related to the classes you'll take in optometry school. The time will come. For now, just take classes you're interested in/classes you'll know you'll do well in for a boost in GPA.

Think about it this way. Business/history/whatever majors just take the pre-reqs and apply to optometry school. They make it in and they do well, too. So really.. just think about getting your pre-reqs done. Just my two cents.

I've taken all my pre-reqs except for organic lab and biochemistry.

An update:
I went to ask the professor on the first day of the semester at 7:45AM to overload the class and he said that it will be offered next semester (there are were 2 people that already overloaded). So I asked if someone dropped, can I register. I talk low so I guess he misunderstood me as repeating the first question and he answerd the same: "it will be offered next semester". Didn't want to make him mad so I just said OK and left. I noticed that at the end of the week one person dropped the course. I should've went to ask again but didn't want to make him mad. So I'm stuck with ecology. I have 14 hours this semester. If I would have dropped ecology, I would have been at 10 hours (part-time) and would have lost alot of college money. Being full-time, I have over $2000 extra money which I need. I would have lost that if I only took 10 hours. Plus I want to take many hours so that it looks better when I apply to optometry schools.