Technology Verizon iPhone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Getting a Verizon iPhone

• Yes

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • NO

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • What's an iPhone?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If this existed a year ago, I would have definitely gotten one. Now I'm pretty comfortable with my EVO - not sure if I could give up SWYPE and Voice to Text. However, I will be looking very carefully at the iPhone 5 on Verizon once my contract is up.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this existed a year ago, I would have definitely gotten one. Now I'm pretty comfortable with my EVO - not sure if I could give up SWYPE and Voice to Text. However, I will be looking very carefully at the iPhone 5 on Verizon once my contract is up.

Same here. I'm actually looking around for a new phone b/c my battery doesn't hold a charge and the phone is buggy (Palm Pre), but I've heard so many people who tried both iphone and android say they prefer android hands down. I do like Web OS, just not the Palm Pre.

But really, what does an iphone do that's better than any other smartphone, besides the plethora of apps? I used to think the lack of apps for the Pre was a problem, but going online for whatever I need usually is good enough.

But really, what does an iphone do that's better than any other smartphone, besides the plethora of apps?

Apps (not an insignificant advantage), interface (much better than Android, IMO, but not necessarily better than webOS), seamless integration with the Mac (no need for stuff like Missing Sync), network quality (AT&T sucks around here). That's enough for me.

Apps (not an insignificant advantage), interface (much better than Android, IMO, but not necessarily better than webOS), seamless integration with the Mac (no need for stuff like Missing Sync), network quality (AT&T sucks around here). That's enough for me.

Are you not worried about network quality degradation in the event of a major adoption of the iPhone similar to what AT&T encountered?

Are you not worried about network quality degradation in the event of a major adoption of the iPhone similar to what AT&T encountered?

Not really. Verizon seems to be ready for it. Most Android users are already heavy data users. They're even continuing to offer an unlimited data plan, unlike AT&T.

No CDMA phones currently do simultaneous voice and data, including those running webOS, Android, etc.

It's not an iPhone issue, nor is it a big deal.

This is not entirely true, as only CDMA 3g can't do simultaneous voice and data. 4g phones most definitely can. Not that I even bother with it.

This is not entirely true, as only CDMA 3g can't do simultaneous voice and data. 4g phones most definitely can. Not that I even bother with it.

We're talking about Verizon, which still has a primarily 3G network, although 4G (LTE) is coming.

I've never needed to do it, either.

Edit: You can do simultaneous voice and data when connected to WiFi, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
We're talking about Verizon, which still has a primarily 3G network, although 4G (LTE) is coming.

I've never needed to do it, either.
The basic iterations of LTE is not 4G, it's "3.9G". LTE Advanced proper is the minimum specification required to meet the 4G standard under IMT Advanced directives.

The basic iterations of LTE is not 4G, it's "3.9G". LTE Advanced proper is the minimum specification required to meet the 4G standard under IMT Advanced directives.

You sound like you know what you're talking about, so could you explain what any of that has to do with this conversation...? ;)

Droid all the way guys :cool:

No way I could give up Swype and open-source marketplace :D

Well, since "4G" and "LTE" are the terms being used by Verizon itself, it's accurate enough for the purposes of this discussion.
Disagree. Perpetuating Verizon's incorrect marketing of "4G" helps no one.

True 4G functionality is completely different from the 3.9G functionality which Verizon will be using.

How?

Remember, we're talking about "functionality" from the user's perspective, not that of a network engineer.

Feel free to head on over to the 3GPP LTE IMT Advanced white papers and read up on the specification and compare/contrast that with the 3.9G LTE implementation that Verizon is working on.

So, in other words, there is no meaningful difference to the end user.

There are definite differences in the way the two protocols work which could impact the end user, I just have no interest in writing up a detailed analysis when you can read it for yourself.

There are definite differences in the way the two protocols work which could impact the end user, I just have no interest in writing up a detailed analysis when you can read it for yourself.

No, thanks. I've made quite a few tech purchases in my lifetime and have yet to feel compelled to read any technical white papers prior to doing so. This won't be any exception.

I've been waiting for the iPhone on Verizon for a while and I'll definitely be getting one so I can compulsively check my email for residency interviews.
I do not like the Android interface so that's out for me and the other phones just don't compare.
What bothers me though is the lack of 4G (or LTE, whatever...) capability. So, Verizon just got the iPhone and I am already waiting for the next step....Any speculations if Verizon will be getting the iPhone 5 this summer and if that will be 4G capable?
Also, with the iPhone that will soon be offered, I remember reading something saying that Verizon will offer free tethering (hotspot something...). Is that true?

Exactly. It's just fast, and probably comparable to WiFi for most people regardless.

This is reminiscent of the "iPhone doesn't have true multitasking like Android" debate. Sure, it works differently, but on both you press a button to choose from a list of apps to restart from where you were - as a user it makes no difference.

Any speculations if Verizon will be getting the iPhone 5 this summer and if that will be 4G capable?

Nobody really knows at this point. One rumor I've heard is that Verizon will get the iPhone 5 this summer, but that it'll still be 3G-only. I think we'll just have to wait and see.

I remember reading something saying that Verizon will offer free tethering (hotspot something...). Is that true?

Yes. The Verizon iPhone includes Mobile Hotspot, which allows tethering for up to 5 simultaneous users. Verizon will also offer an unlimited data plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
The next iPad will have a dual CDMA/GSM radio, whether the iPhone 5 will is still unknown. However, it would make sense, a minimal amount of additional silicon so they can just make one model for both networks and simplify the manufacturing, technical support, etc...

Yes. The Verizon iPhone includes Mobile Hotspot, which allows tethering for up to 5 simultaneous users. Verizon will also offer an unlimited data plan.

True as that may be, I highly doubt that Verizon will allow tethering for free.

My Verizon Palm Pre Plus includes the Mobile Hotspot feature with up to 5GB of data/mo. at no additional charge.

However, I think they'll probably charge extra for it on the iPhone.

We'll just have to wait and see.

or you can jailbrake your iPhone and do whatever you want with it....

My Verizon Palm Pre Plus includes the Mobile Hotspot feature with up to 5GB of data/mo. at no additional charge.

However, I think they'll probably charge extra for it on the iPhone.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Yep. $20. And unlimited data at $30 is a temporary thing before they switch to tiered plans. This is a good thing for my mom as she will not be using more than 500MB a month so she'll save money when she gets one pre-ordered on 2/3.

As for me, my AT&T contract is up in June so I'll be switching to Verizon hopefully which at that point means an iPhone 5 on Verizon and I'll join my parents on a family plan. AT&T in my area is a sad excuse for a cell phone carrier in areas where it matters like my apartment, parents house, and the hospitals I have worked in.

I've been reviewing my data usage on my Palm Pre Plus, and would probably be better off with a tiered plan, too.

I've been reviewing my data usage on my Palm Pre Plus, and would probably be better off with a tiered plan, too.
Just an aside, I remember a few months ago when AT&T went to tiered plans and there was this huge outrage where a few made allot of noise about how unfair it was. Now, it's not a bad thing for customers... how times change

In response to Verizon's unlimited data plan offering, AT&T is allowing customers that switched to the tiered plans to call in to return to unlimited. It is only possible for customers who had unlimited before. (Before June).

Until the major providers are willing to give reasonable caps it will be impossible to move to cellular as ones main broadband. On my main hardwired connection I probably use 15-20GB per month. That's why I don't see the point of advanced 4G at this stage in the game. Why bother having a 25-50 mbps connection when you have a 5 GB cap? You couldn't reasonable stream 1080p, download legal movies, exchange large business/commercial files on a frequent basis, etc... with that kind of cap.

I am loyal to Verizon. My mother, my sister, and brother all have iphones. I am interested. But I want a phone with the longest battery life possible. I was looking at the HTC incredible recently and am leaning towarsd it.

Question: are smartphones being provided in residencies? Do people get a work phone (instead of pagers or in addition to pagers) and then use a smartphone for personal use?

And how do these phones fit into the overall budget of people's lifetime financial plans? I have been wondering how having a cell phone will effect my lifetime financial goals?

I am loyal to Verizon. My mother, my sister, and brother all have iphones. I am interested. But I want a phone with the longest battery life possible. I was looking at the HTC incredible recently and am leaning towarsd it.
Don't get the incredible. I've had mine since it launched last year, and the battery life is absolute crap. I text a little bit, check email about once an hour, and use the browser sparingly, but my battery is dead by 1 or 2 pm after coming off the charger at 6 am.

This is part of why I'm switching to the iPhone. :laugh:

With the Identity Theft I've suffered, I need to pay a deposit either way. At least with Verizon, it's only $400 instead of $750 (the price with AT&T).

Droid all the way guys :cool:

No way I could give up Swype and open-source marketplace :D
:thumbup:

For the Droid X, they did not allow free tethering - you have to pay an extra $20 a month or something. I imagine the same will be true for the iPhone.
Rooted Droid - free tethering FTW. I imagine the same will be true for the iPhone.

Don't get the incredible. I've had mine since it launched last year, and the battery life is absolute crap. I text a little bit, check email about once an hour, and use the browser sparingly, but my battery is dead by 1 or 2 pm after coming off the charger at 6 am.

This is part of why I'm switching to the iPhone. :laugh:
How old is your battery? Maybe it just needs to be replaced, or maybe you have a lot of apps running in the background.

I would get this if I weren't poor as hell. Instead I am probably one of the last few endangered nokia candy bar phone users left in my age group. I am mostly concerned with my battery life. These candy bar phones can last several days, but my friend's android could not last even a day. Obviously it can do more, but battery life is important for me. iPhone seems to be decent in battery life.

I'll never get a smart phone until they give us worldwide internet coverage without obscene roaming costs. I had considered getting something like the ipad (no idea if the motorola xoom is any good), but they still couldn't seem to get the worldwide service right, and now they've even dropped the unlimited monthly internet in the US. Amazingly, I can use my Kindle's 3g service worldwide without additional fees, hmm.

I think I'm more the type that wants my phone to just be my phone, while also having another device that acts independently as a laptop substitute, they just haven't gotten it right yet, for me at least (though my ipod touch is nice, no 3g coverage, and too small).

But the problem with worldwide coverage without roaming fees is that there is no worldwide carrier. Every network is different, every carrier charges different rates so to expect something like that is crazy talk.
The kindle can get free 3G service worldwide because of how amazon set it up with major carriers around the world and that amazon is probably absorbing the data costs from places where they don't gave specific agreements in place. Its cheap to do so because the web experience is anemic on the kindle. Where as on an iPhone or iPad it's not.

Eventually all phones will have a sim card and when you travel to different countries you'll be able to swap them out of the device is unlocked.

That being said there while it may be a nice idea to have a device that has world wide coverage the reality is that a very very small population would ever need something like this.