vergil: 2nd chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Dr. Henderson,
I have decided to take a second chance on a medical career:
I did not do well as an undergraduate.
I graduated with a 2.5 overall GPA.
I decided to take up the (Texas) Academic
Fresh Start option offered by the state schools. (According to the option, the GPA is calculated solely on course work done within a ten-year period of planned matriculation into the first year of medical school).

My current GPA is 3.9/3.9 (from a community college-does this make a serious difference as far as admissions committees are concerned?)and I am preparing
to take the MCAT in April 2000.

I have also worked part-time at a hospital
for the last two years as a nursing technician (would you have any suggestions as to putting the time I spend in this pursuit to a better use?)

I have gotten "verbal" recommendations from my science course professors. Should I get their letters on file before I ask for my medical school applications?

I am 35 years of age--how much of a factor will that be in the admissions process?

I would appreciate any insights that you can offer.

Sincerely,

Vergil

Members don't see this ad.

Admissions committees do question community college grades a little, and a strong showing on the MCAT will justify your 3.9 GPA... the MCAT will be key in your success.

Get your letters on file asap! Get them while you are fresh in your profs' minds! At least have them write one and have them put it on file now.

I don't think your age will be a huge factor, though you may be asked about it. Try to turn it into a positive during your interview... life experience, etc...

Best wishes!

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net