Verbal worries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolmoe_33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iam very worried about the verbal section on the pcat...how the hell r u supposed to study...even if u start learning new wrods, it is not a gaurantee that they will be on the test...anyone got any good advice...realistic advice and i dont mean reading the dictionary.

Members don't see this ad.

coolmoe_33 said:
Iam very worried about the verbal section on the pcat...how the hell r u supposed to study...even if u start learning new wrods, it is not a gaurantee that they will be on the test...anyone got any good advice...realistic advice and i dont mean reading the dictionary.

Don't waste time on word lists. I feel you should spend the majority of your time prepping for the three core sciences -- biology, chemistry and math -- and when it comes to verbal/reading just go in w/a good attitude.

Don't stress. Maybe read George F. Will's back columns. He uses a lot of "ten dollar" words:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/03/24/LI2005032402294.html

i would spend too much time with word lists. i spent too much time memorizing hundreds of words and to my disappointment none of them were on there.

ie apothegm, apostate, hypocritical, tyro, stratagem, moniker, modicum. NONE!!!

they are testing basic vocab. the hardest thing about this portion of the exam is the time constraints. there were two or three which i had to idea how to answer, but i still ended up with a 97 on this portion. (so maybe i missed some easy ones).

this exam is more endurance than anything. most of us were tired by the third section. get lots of rest!

good luck....

I agree with everyone else, don't study for verbal. A good score in chemistry & biology will make up for a deficit in the verbal area.

The verbal section is analogies and the words are fairly common. I have a decent vocabulary, so I might not be the best example, but there was only one word that I didn't know. The test section is meant to be a measure of your reasoning ability, not of your word knowledge.