Venture Capital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in working for a venture capital firm after I complete my residency. However, I do not have any business background or experience. Any recommendations of how I can get into the field of venture capital? Would a MBA be worthwhile in this case?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You dont need a mba to enter venture capital...i know a lotta folks at my business school enroll as part time students at the business school (non-matriculated) and take only the relevant coursework in venture capital.

If you are just entering into venture capital, you will need to do it through a partnership or a group of investors, with the latter being the best option.

ASDIC said:
You dont need a mba to enter venture capital...i know a lotta folks at my business school enroll as part time students at the business school (non-matriculated) and take only the relevant coursework in venture capital.

If you are just entering into venture capital, you will need to do it through a partnership or a group of investors, with the latter being the best option.

VC is very difficult to break into these days since it is such a hot field right now. People see it as a job with the best of both worlds - high-impact business/opportunity for lots of money/decent lifestyle. Your ability to work in VC depends a lot on exactly what kind of job you are willing to take and who you know in the industry. As I mentioned, it is hard to break into (although many argue that there is TOO MUCH VC money out there right now, as cash poured into funds after the internet boom and good investing opportunities are harder to come by these days), and job openings are rarely if ever publicized, so having contacts in the industry is key (a perk of getting an MBA but by no means a reason to get one).

Also, you may be able to get a job as an analyst at a VC firm with your background since your expertise in science and clinical medicine would be of value, but it is unlikely that you would get into a partner track (where the big money is made). Partners generally have many many years of business experience (former CEO's, history of multiple successful start-ups, etc), since the added value that a VC firm brings to the table (in addition to their cash) is there experience and expertise in getting a new business venture off the ground (i.e., they have connections, they have been there before, etc).

All this being said, there are so many firms out there these days that it's difficult to generalize about the opportunies out there. My comments are directed towards the more established firms with a long history of successful funds. A new VC firm may be easier to break into with little or no business track record (as long as they can raise money, they will stay in business).

Bottom line is that generally, VC is hard to break into and the more of a business track record (especially with successful start-ups and high-level management) and industry connections you have, the better.

I have no hard data to provide on this, however I was very curious about this myself. I found a couple online forums as well as several articles about VC and breaking into it. It's pretty competitive to get into these days. A couple places i remember reading that WITHOUT prior experience, the only people who generally get hired for VC these days are graduates of Harvard MBA (75%), Stanford and Wharton (other 25%). As I said, take it with a grain of salt, but thats what I read. Also, doing an internship with the company helps, as in most business fields.

OP, perhaps after residency you can try to bust into the business side of Pharma or a large Biotech company for 4-5 years, then try to get into VC?