Venting time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacman8794

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the GREs and it didn't go so well. I studied for 3 months and I didn't even break a 1000, but it was very close, w/o actually disclosing what my score was. The verbal portion killed my score and all the words I had studied weren't even on the test; i memorized 500-600 words and i only saw 3 or 4 of them and they were in the sentence completions. My GPA is high though, i have a little research experience, and i have the strong letters of recommendation, but I'm afraid that test really damaged my chances of getting into grad school. I'm applying to top notch schools like Syracuse and Marist College for my M.A. in Mental Health Counseling. I don't know how competetive these programs are though.

Members don't see this ad.

If you aren't able to improve the score, you could consider applying to MSW programs in mental health as well. A high percentage of MSW programs don't require GRE scores.

Many MA programs will take <1000 GRE scores. Address the weakness, but focus on your strengths (GPA, research,etc.). I had the same issue when applying to MA programs and got in with a 920 to a great clinical psychology program. From what I've seen, MHC programs don't place a large emphasis on the GRE, but I'm not sure about those schools. Do they have disclosure data posted for scores of those admitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
You might just want to take the Psych GRE and if you score well in that, then point out that you are good at psychology. Also, ask around and talk to your professors in your school for admission into the graduate program. I am fairly certain they are going to be supportive!

While it's low, a <1000 GRE isn't the end of the world :). Talk about it a bit in your SoP (without making it sound like excuses), see if you can retake for a better score, and take the Psych GRE. Also, did you use the ETS practice tests and stuff before taking it? That helps.

Do not despair about the GRE's. I just took mine and I did pretty good on the verbal and writing, but HORRENDOUS on the math part which brought my score down. And I am applying to Psy.D programs.:(

Though, my alternative option is the MSW because most MSW programs do not require the GRE's.

For the MHC program, close to a 1000 should be good enough, as long as you have other strong points.:thumbup: