VCU vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hungryh1pp09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, another one of these posts. Recently I was fortunate enough to be accepted to VCU and Pitt. I was pretty set on VCU since it’s my in-state school until I received Pitt acceptance this morning. I loved everything about Pitt (especially dental anesthesiology program) and the city is awesome (at least compared to Richmond) but didn’t expect to get accepted. I know COA is important but if we lived in a world where dental education was free, which school should I choose? A little background about me: I turned down full ride at state schools and went to OOS private school for undergrad where I thought I would be happier. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! You are awesome! TWO ACCEPTANCES!!!

Now down to business-Why do you like Pit more? I think if you are conflicted, you should list out your Pros and Cons for each. Is it more about the city, the training you think you will receive, or the overall atmosphere? Also, how much will the price difference be including living expenses?

I know most people will tell you to go to the cheaper school off the bat, but I think most people need to get to the best decision by themselves with support (or they will feel remorse afterwards).

If it were me (personally), I would go to the cheaper school. I am the type of person that would feel absolutely sick if I had to continue to worry about funding my education afterwards and wouldn't be able to enjoy the "dental school season of life" since I'd always be worrying about post-grad. You seem to be able to handle the added stresses of debt better, so look at ALL the aspects and weigh the heavier price tag carefully. I know you choose your happiness over debt before but this is hundreds of thousands of dollars, so you need very good reasons that are written out instead of a gut feeling. In which case, less debt may equal more happiness and less stress.

Again I'm not saying that you should go to VCU, but maybe you should bounce off your reasons onto the message board, so the community can give you a different perspective on your reasoning.

Congrats! You are awesome! TWO ACCEPTANCES!!!

Now down to business-Why do you like Pit more? I think if you are conflicted, you should list out your Pros and Cons for each. Is it more about the city, the training you think you will receive, or the overall atmosphere? Also, how much will the price difference be including living expenses?

I know most people will tell you to go to the cheaper school off the bat, but I think most people need to get to the best decision by themselves with support (or they will feel remorse afterwards).

If it were me (personally), I would go to the cheaper school. I am the type of person that would feel absolutely sick if I had to continue to worry about funding my education afterwards and wouldn't be able to enjoy the "dental school season of life" since I'd always be worrying about post-grad. You seem to be able to handle the added stresses of debt better, so look at ALL the aspects and weigh the heavier price tag carefully. I know you choose your happiness over debt before but this is hundreds of thousands of dollars, so you need very good reasons that are written out instead of a gut feeling. In which case, less debt may equal more happiness and less stress.

Again I'm not saying that you should go to VCU, but maybe you should bounce off your reasons onto the message board, so the community can give you a different perspective on your reasoning.

Thanks so much on your feedback. I made a pros/cons list but pros and cons of each schools are basically flipped between two schools. Awesome time for my indecisive nature to kick in.

Pitt
Pros
- Dental anesthesiology program seems awesome (I’ve wanted to be an anesthesiologist when I was younger)
- Affordable city life
- “Selectives” opportunity
- Students seemed happier and faculty seemed more down to earth
- Better research opportunity
Cons
- Roughly $80k higher COA
- Further away from home
- Little big colder…? (I went to undergrad in Atlanta haha)

VCU
Pros
- In-state tuition
- Recorded lectures
- DentSim
- Significant other is D1 there now
Cons
- Not much research opportunities
- Felt less welcoming/friendly(?) at interview
- School seems to focus on pushing out GPs, hence strong clinical program but not sure if this kind of hardcore curriculum deters students from pursuing specialty. Thoughts?
- Every time I visit, Richmond seems to get more depressing

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much on your feedback. I made a pros/cons list but pros and cons of each schools are basically flipped between two schools. Awesome time for my indecisive nature to kick in.

Pitt
Pros
- Dental anesthesiology program seems awesome (I’ve wanted to be an anesthesiologist when I was younger)
- Affordable city life
Cons
- Further away from home

VCU
Pros
- In-state tuition
- Recorded lectures
- DentSim
Cons
- School seems to focus on pushing out GPs, hence strong clinical program but not sure if this kind of hardcore curriculum deters students from pursuing specialty. Thoughts?
Vcu. I think being near your SO is pretty important if you consider it a long term investment

I wouldn't worry too much about the dental anesthesiology program. It's not like you'll be spending most if any time there during dental school...

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at both places and I'd personally go to VCU. From my VCU interview, I remember hearing that half of the students go into practice and the other half match to GPR and other specialties. They both seemed equally friendly.

I can't imagine walking up and down any of the hills at pitt to get to class and stuff lol. Also a lot of the 'affordable' places in Pittsburgh seem to be very outdated, old and unappealing.

Dental anesthesiology is a Seperate 3 year residency program. You won't even step foot in there. Also it is nowhere as comprehensive as being an actual anesthesiologist, visit the MD forums and you can ask.

Since your SO is at VCU and it is cheaper I would go there.

I'm not talking about the residency program btw. My "lunch buddy" was in the anesthesiology department and he told me that interested students can take selectives in it for a semester. So there's that.

Then go to Pitt.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not talking about the residency program btw. My "lunch buddy" was in the anesthesiology department and he told me that interested students can take selectives in it for a semester. So there's that.

If I had to choose between these two school's I'd have a hard time because they're my top 2 choices. I was really attracted to their anesthesiology program too so I can see where you're coming from. I gotta say though, it's kinda hard to say no to VCU's in state tuition.

Richmond isn't affordable city life? Hah.

Save the 80k. Dental anesthesiology/AEGD residencies are not that competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
School seems to focus on pushing out GPs, hence strong clinical program but not sure if this kind of hardcore curriculum deters students from pursuing specialty. Thoughts?

You havent taken a peek at their OMS matches this year have you?

But honestly just go to Pitt, you really want to go there.

School seems to focus on pushing out GPs, hence strong clinical program but not sure if this kind of hardcore curriculum deters students from pursuing specialty. Thoughts?

You havent taken a peek at their OMS matches this year have you?

But honestly just go to Pitt, you really want to go there.

Yes they have high match rate and I've been told that if you're really interested in specializing and are willing put in the effort, then you should be fine. This is probably the case at most schools. It's just that I know several people that go there who feel burnt out by the end of first year because they try to get students into clinic asap so course load is a lot heavier that other programs. Maybe it's just them. I was just looking for more opinions. Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciate it.

Wouldn't you get just as burnt out at Pitt? They take boards after first year

So do we.

Dental school is all about personal drive. If you want to succeed, you will, regardless where you are.

Reactions: 1 users
So do we.

Dental school is all about personal drive. If you want to succeed, you will, regardless where you are.
Yeah, I think I've made a decision. Couple of my friends are in your class haha I wonder who you are. Maybe I'll see you next year. Thanks for the insight!

Pitt
Pros
- Affordable city life
Cons
- Further away from home

VCU
Pros
- In-state tuition
- Recorded lectures
- DentSim
Cons
Dental Anesthesiology is not an ADA recognized specialty.
VCU also has selectives in OMFS, perio, pedo, ortho, endo, prosth, path.
Pitt probably does have better research opportunities.
It's never sticker price. You have to account for compounding interest that accrues until you pay it off. So $80,000 may end up being $140,000 at the end of repayment.
Dentsim is NOT a pro. That thing is garbage. It probably wouldn't have been that bad if it didn't factor into your grade.
VCU cranks out GP's. Class of 2017 matched 8/9 into OMFS, 10/10 into Pedo, 1/2 into Ortho, and 1/1 into Path.
I can see why you would think Richmond blows so I don't disagree with you.
You can nitpick all you want but there's honestly little difference in clinical exposure between these two schools when you graduate and they're certainly not worth the >$80,000 difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Dentsim is NOT a pro. That thing is garbage. It probably wouldn't have been that bad if it didn't factor into your grade.

I gotta second this. I really did not like dentsim, and it became more of a negative the more we used it.

can any one tell me something about the vcu? Like something most unique to it.