VCU vs NYMC vs CUSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatItDoo99

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m having trouble between choosing between these 3 schools. To be fair I have my interview for CUSM this week but am including them as a preliminary measure. I’m from northern CA and have lived in CA my whole life (went to a UC). Currently I’m thinking of pursuing anesthesiology but can very well see myself change for something more competitive. Tuition for all will be equally ass and loans will have to be taken out (pretty much COA).

VCU:
Pros
- highest “ranking” out of the 3 (not sure if it’s even comparable or a big enough difference)
- live in a city (Richmond is ok but living in a city would be ideal)
- HP/P/F with no internal ranking (anyone can achieve HP if they hit a score cutoff, so number of HP grades aren’t limited)
- got great vibes from the interview
- core rotations pretty much all at home programs within Richmond

Cons:
- far from home so no support system

NYMC
Pros:
- chance to do rotations in NYC (lottery system tho if I remember correctly)
- good vibes from the interview
- living close to NYC seems appealing
-Strong match list (I think slightly stronger than VCU but very comparable)

Cons:
- internal ranking (P/F though)
- Valhalla doesn’t seem like a great place to live, but being like 30-40 mins out of NYC makes it somewhat redeeming
- match list seems to be extremely NY specific (want to move back to CA for residency ideally)
- far from home w no support system

CUSM:
Pros:
- in CA, support system is spread out in CA so this is so huge for me
- better weather (no east coast weather)

Cons:
- Very new school, not much of a reputation. Worries me since I wanna have the option to match into competitive specialities and I know it’s easier at more established schools.
- although very CA focused match, match list is the weakest
- in the inland empire, which would suck to live in

In summary, VCU and NYMC seem to be the better schools professionally, but I’ll be far from my support system. On the other hand, CUSM is closer to my support system but isn’t as good of a school reputation-wise considering how new it is. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

NYMC isn’t the closest to NYC. The commute will be longer with traffic and that’s before factoring in actually traveling within the city itself. Rotations would require you to move if you do want to do them in NYC, while VCU sounds like they’ll all be close by or at the school itself.

See what happens with CUSM. Anesthesiology is growing in competitiveness, but is not at the level of derm or ortho.

Biased obviously because I’m matriculating to VCU hehe but I think having the core rotations in Richmond saves a lot of hassle (not having to move plus not having the uncertainty of where you are going to be versus a lottery system), I’m sure if you want to rotate in NYC you can definitely do it during your fourth year rotations, additionally, P/F with no internal ranking really puts the stress off compared to internal ranking

As for CUSM, esp if you are trying to do a speciality that is more competitive, you need the research opportunities, connections and reputation, all of which VCU provides to you more easily versus a newer school; of course the importance of a close support system cannot be understated (I’m a fellow NorCal’er/UC’er myself!)

Ultimately, I like VCU here, but that’s just my opinion, I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself and congrats on your acceptances!! (And if u choose Vcu hmu mayb we can be roommates)

Reactions: 2 users