VCU vs Jeff vs UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crocognar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Pretty glad I have a choice, but now I have no idea what to do.

Background: From Virginia, want to match in Cali (born and raised there), probably gas, opthal, or rads. I feel like my situation is more or less Cost vs Lifestyle vs Prestige.

VCU:
++ Great scholarship offer. Brings the total tuition for all 4 years to $61k.
+ 1.5 year preclinical
+ Closer to home, so moving would be easier.
+ New facilities
- Didn't get a great feel when I interviewed. Students seem awkward and social aspect of school is pretty important to me.
- Worst rank of the three
- I hear the school doesn't do much in the way of student wellness. Students are apparently unhappy at VCU.

Jeff:
++ Another great scholarship offer. Brings total tuition to $161k (still really expensive, but OOS & Private considered, it's reasonable)
+ Center City Philly
+ Got really good vibes from the students here. Everyone seems cool. Absolutely loved the school and environment.
+ Wills Eye Hospital, Jefferson Hospital are both great.
+ Pretty good match list
+ Sub-surg rotation as part of third year curriculum
- Cost, $161k + Cost of living in philly adds up to a lot of money.
- 2 year preclinical. Really want the 1.5 year preclins for more rotation time.

UVA:
+ It's the best ranked school of the three
+ 1.5 year curriculum
+ New facilities, building new ER and adding like 300 hospital beds. Apparently med students can use those new buildings, and they'll be ready in 2019.
+ Anesthesiology rotation as part of the third year curriculum - top specialty choice as of now.
+ Have a friend who goes there and says he loves it, people are great and socially active.
- No scholarship offers as of now, most expensive of the three with total tuition cost at $190k.

My thoughts: The money aspect of VCU is great, but I also value happiness a lot. Jefferson seems to provide this, but UVA's ranking/prestige is also tempting especially because of the specialties and state I want to match in.

Also, I'm not 100% sure how the Away rotation/elective system works. My perception is the 1.5 year preclin will help a lot with this, but will it really?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I'm not 100% sure how the Away rotation/elective system works. My perception is the 1.5 year preclin will help a lot with this, but will it really?
Thanks for any help.

Yes, really really. I went through a 2 year pre-clinical curriculum and set up 2 away rotations. Speaking to my friends who went to schools with 1.5 years pre-clinical, their lives are just so much simpler. They take step 2 earlier, they have more breathing room to explore specialties, they can set up away rotations whenever. It's by far the better option, and I wish I had known that was a thing when selecting a school.

Prestige can matter. Depends how competitive you want to go. It's not anywhere near as important as boards and grades and doing well, but it still matters. As you move further along with this process, connections become more and more important, so having big names can get you far. It's all about who knows who and who's heard of your letter writer.

As far as going back to California, make sure to set up at least one away on the west coast in whatever specialty you choose.

This ones tough. Gas is not that competitive btw, so as long as you do some away rotations on the west coast you should be fine at either of those schools. You were born/raised there so you have that connection as well.

Yes, really really. I went through a 2 year pre-clinical curriculum and set up 2 away rotations. Speaking to my friends who went to schools with 1.5 years pre-clinical, their lives are just so much simpler. They take step 2 earlier, they have more breathing room to explore specialties, they can set up away rotations whenever. It's by far the better option, and I wish I had known that was a thing when selecting a school.

Prestige can matter. Depends how competitive you want to go. It's not anywhere near as important as boards and grades and doing well, but it still matters. As you move further along with this process, connections become more and more important, so having big names can get you far. It's all about who knows who and who's heard of your letter writer.

As far as going back to California, make sure to set up at least one away on the west coast in whatever specialty you choose.
thanks for the response. are you still able to do away rotations before you have to submit your residency app if your med school does 2 year pre clin?

Members don't see this ad :)
This ones tough. Gas is not that competitive btw, so as long as you do some away rotations on the west coast you should be fine at either of those schools. You were born/raised there so you have that connection as well.
lol yeah that's what i'm hoping. i'm also wondering how much the gas rotation being core to UVA will help or if it's not too important. At the end of the day, though, VCU is $130k cheaper. tough decision!

thanks for the response. are you still able to do away rotations before you have to submit your residency app if your med school does 2 year pre clin?
Definitely yes for my school. But I ended up using my whole summer and a lot of random vacation time (the blocks never align with your school's curriculum) and had to fit Step 2 CK in there. It's just a lot simpler with the 1.5 year curriculum.

Definitely yes for my school. But I ended up using my whole summer and a lot of random vacation time (the blocks never align with your school's curriculum) and had to fit Step 2 CK in there. It's just a lot simpler with the 1.5 year curriculum.
cool. great to know!

FYI, jeff is not a 2 yr preclinical anymore. You finish classes in february of 2nd year, have dedicated study time off/take step, and are onto clinicals by april.

Hey everyone,
VCU:
- I hear the school doesn't do much in the way of student wellness. Students are apparently unhappy at VCU.

VCU student here. I'm not sure where you got your info about student wellness here, but VCU actually puts a lot of effort into student wellness. Most of the students here (including myself) are relatively stress free and are very happy!

VCU student here. I'm not sure where you got your info about student wellness here, but VCU actually puts a lot of effort into student wellness. Most of the students here (including myself) are relatively stress free and are very happy!

saw it on reddit or here. i cant remember.

great news though, thanks!