VCU School of Pharmacy Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mddr1day

PGY1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw there was no thread yet for the class of 2013 so here it is!

I started a Facebook group called VCU School of Pharmacy Class of 2013 so join up when you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

I joined... 6 so far.

I know there HAS to be more than 6 people accepted so far because there were a lot of people at the ED interviews.

Whenever more people get accepted that actually frequent this forum, we can start discussing apartments and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you have seriously considered all of your options up to this point. As a student of the c/o 2012 I can characterize the first semester of this new curriculum in two words:

SEVERELY DISAPPOINTING

While I am in the first class, the program has been largely injected with 'fluff' courses which seem to be of no real substance and are almost painful to sit through. You can check out the curriculum online. I would not recommend this program to anyone who is serious about learning the practice of pharmacy as it was not worth the tuition. The program is poorly organized and having a two week long orientation was POINTLESS considering all the class time that was wasted this semester during which these activities could have been carried out.

APPLY TO OTHER SCHOOLS, YOU HAVE ALL YEAR. TRUST ME

I'm friends with a bunch of current P3's and they tell me that the class of 2013's curriculum is going to be different from the class of 2012's. I'm glad I got into VCU and am not upset about any changes in the curriculum as they are trying to improve the effectiveness of the program and the overall rating of the school.

I'm sorry you hate it so much.

Just got my acceptance letter. Canceling my applications everywhere else and accepting the spot. VCU was my first choice.

When they changed the program I figured there would be a few kinks with the first class and I'm sure there will be fewer (albeit a few) with the 2013 class schedule.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I hope you have seriously considered all of your options up to this point. As a student of the c/o 2012 I can characterize the first semester of this new curriculum in two words:

SEVERELY DISAPPOINTING

While I am in the first class, the program has been largely injected with 'fluff' courses which seem to be of no real substance and are almost painful to sit through. You can check out the curriculum online. I would not recommend this program to anyone who is serious about learning the practice of pharmacy as it was not worth the tuition. The program is poorly organized and having a two week long orientation was POINTLESS considering all the class time that was wasted this semester during which these activities could have been carried out.

APPLY TO OTHER SCHOOLS, YOU HAVE ALL YEAR. TRUST ME

I can assure everyone that this student is not the norm at VCU. A strong majority of students absolutely love the school and the program, as do nationally renowned health systems around the country. Our faculty is on leadership boards of all the major pharmacy organizations and do their best to engage the students.

The only students I have talked to who are truly dissatisfied with the VCU school of pharmacy is because they have not taken the opportunities offered to them. The first year curriculum has changed and ill admit some of the classes dont sound like very much fun. That being said, this is the new ACPE guidelines. I hope that VCUSoP12Guinea does leave VCU and applies to other health systems, only to find out that he is re-taking the same classes he was crying about here.

Well as a VCU SOM dude some of what VCUSoP12Guinea says is kind of true. I mean, they removed anatomy and physiology from the course work. I still think that's pretty dumb but I know people disagree with me. But I've met people in the pharm schools class of 2012 and they all seemed happy so YMMV.

Richmond's great though.

Well as a VCU SOM dude some of what VCUSoP12Guinea says is kind of true. I mean, they removed anatomy and physiology from the course work. I still think that's pretty dumb but I know people disagree with me. But I've met people in the pharm schools class of 2012 and they all seemed happy so YMMV.

Richmond's great though.

They removed it because it was a joke. From my conversations with current P3's, all they would do for Lab is watch the medical students over their shoulders and look at stuff online. I imagine the real thing is better than online pictures and whatnot, but I feel it's a waste of valuable time that could be spent going over Pharmacy-specific material. They made it a prerequisite anyways... I should know as I am taking it now and over the summer before I start in the Fall. :p

Me too:thumbup:
Really excited to move up there from Atlanta later this summer. Anyone from the area that know which residency halls pharmacy students stay in? What about off-campus housing- which surrounding areas should I stick to when looking for an apartment?

I just got accepted as well. YAY! Did anyone interview on January 31? This is Lisa (the Asian girl from California)

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too:thumbup:
Really excited to move up there from Atlanta later this summer. Anyone from the area that know which residency halls pharmacy students stay in? What about off-campus housing- which surrounding areas should I stick to when looking for an apartment?

I'd live in Tobacco Row or the Fan area, and maybe even the West End if you don't mind taking the bus or commuting.

I live in the West End and take the bus every day, I've never actually driven to school, unless it's the weekend or after 6pm when it's free street parking.

http://ridegrtc.com/ - website for Richmond's bus service, which is very limited but free for VCU students.

It seems to me that Richmond is not an extremely expensive city to rent apartments in...is that true? I live in Philly now so I guess I'm used to paying a lot of money for a not so good apartment.

So can you walk to class if you get apartments near Tobacco Row or the Fan area?

Since you live in West End can you tell me more about the area? How long is the bus ride to VCU? What kind of comparisons can you make about West End vs. Tobacco Row or Fan area?

If you dont mind paying a little bit more you can always rent a place in shockoe slip. I'd imagine it's similar if not even less than living in Philly and you're not gonna find a sweeter area. And you can walk to class!

I actually live in the West End now but in the far far "end" by Short Pump Mall (takes me about 7 minutes to get to the interstate) and I couldn't imagine having to drive to school every single day in traffic (or sit on a bus [no offense 2011!]). I work by the Willow Lawn area which is about 15 minutes from the pharmacy school and it takes me 20 minutes on average to get to work.

If there is no traffic, I can make it downtown to the school in about 25 minutes.

All that said... if you don't mind the drive and the possibility of being late from a traffic accident on 64 or some other incident causing traffic to back up for 20 or more minutes or you have a family, then the west end is truly a great place to live as it's quiet, convenient to all shopping venues, and school districts.

Personally, I would rather be able to walk to class every day or take a 5-10 minute max bus ride. I just signed a lease with Shockoe Properties to live on 6th street starting in May so I can do just that.

Tobacco Row is still walking distance if you want to walk around 1.2 miles which doesn't take that long. I know people living there that drive to the 8th St VCU lot (which is the premo lot for MCV peeps). Other really nice apartments in that area are the Pohlig Box Factory and Superior Apartments which are owned by the same company. They have excellent reviews on apartmentratings.com which is a really useful tool to get a feel for what people say about the apartments in the area (but take everything they say with a grain of salt... i.e. Tobacco Row is rated pretty badly but I have been to a number of apartments and the complaints they list are not present in all the apartments).

You pretty much have to drive if you live in the fan (or take the bus) and parking (depending on if you are on a main street or a side street) is very difficult to find. The area is "safer" than the downtown area as far as the crime index goes, but that is because all the major bars are in the downtown area.

I seem to be rambling so I'll stop now.

Congrats to you newbies into the Class of 2013 :)

I just got accepted as well. YAY! Did anyone interview on January 31? This is Lisa (the Asian girl from California)

Hey just got accepted this week. I was in that interview group (the Asian guy from UVa/the Asian guy who wasn't from California).

Hey all -- got my acceptance mid-February! Really excited to attend school in VA again, and this time in an area with some taller buildings :)

Definately looking for places to live, and will probably swing through RIC in May to sign a lease.

Any females looking for roomates? I was told by a PharmD '08 grad that there is an portal available through the school.

Can't wait to meet all of you. Looking forward to an awesome 4 years!!

Just so you guys/gals know:

I called up and got my V number from the Pharmacy School today and was able to sign into all the eServices and myVCU portal. The eServices will be the first place you will see anything about Financial Aid information.

What is everyone doing about the laptop requirement? I have had a DELL laptop since 2003 and it has been dying for the past 2 years. Luckily I haven't had to use it much but I definitely need a new one. I would really like to get a macbook but I don't know how this whole requirement really works at VCU. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. I really don't want to buy another DELL.

What is everyone doing about the laptop requirement? I have had a DELL laptop since 2003 and it has been dying for the past 2 years. Luckily I haven't had to use it much but I definitely need a new one. I would really like to get a macbook but I don't know how this whole requirement really works at VCU. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. I really don't want to buy another DELL.

I've talked with a bunch of P3's about this and they said you just need a computer capable of running their programs and basic microsoft office. I don't even think they are pushing for Vista yet and some people ever have macbooks.

I dunno if this has changed significantly, but I highly doubt it because they basically expect you to be able to do basic office 2007 functions whether it be from microsoft or openoffice.

Hey all,

Excited about Richmond and Pharmacy school!!!
Does anyone know if the school has some way to get students connected when thinking about housing? I know there are quite a few people coming from VT, but truthfully i only know a few of them. Not really concerned if M or F, but let me know if you are looking a might need a roommate. I would love to stay within walking distance, but whatever is good. Not real sure of any of my living plans yet, but starting to look.

Brad

Hey everyone, I noticed some people here were looking for a place to live, which is perfect because I have a place near MCV and am looking for roommates!

Briefly, I am a rising 2nd year female medical student at MCV and I'm looking for 1-2 roommates to share a 3 BR/2 BATH apartment located in beautiful Church Hill (0.8 miles from MCV!). It is the converted upper floor of a house and has a recently renovated kitchen and a back deck. Washer and dryer are included and free to use (landlord pays for the cost). There is a bus stop right around the corner with several bus lines that go to MCV and a park across the street. By bus, it is a 5-minute ride or less; walking distance is about 12-15 minutes. Parking is on-street, but there is always plenty of parking available and you don't have to worry about having a limited number of reserved spots to share between people. There are also lots of great restaurants, a grocery store, post office, and farmer's market all within walking distance! As a bonus, there are also many cool events that take place in Church Hill; for example, this past weekend we had the Irish Festival just a few blocks away.

In terms of details, the lease would start on June 1 and will be approximately $350-500/mo plus utilities, depending on whether the apartment is shared by 2 or 3 people. PM me if you are interested/have any questions :)

Hey Brad:

There is a link on the VCU website for off campus housing and a message board for students needing roomates. A friend in Richmond sent me another site hotpads.com, which uses an interactive map but only current properties available. I myself have just begun the process too (sorry looking for F roomate), and my thought is any property advertising to the school may not be the best choice! I plan to live downtown/shockoe/something else near MCV and fun. Let me know if you come across any cool places and I'll do the same.

http://www.usca.vcu.edu/offcampus/housing/

Hey Brad:

There is a link on the VCU website for off campus housing and a message board for students needing roomates. A friend in Richmond sent me another site hotpads.com, which uses an interactive map but only current properties available. I myself have just begun the process too (sorry looking for F roomate), and my thought is any property advertising to the school may not be the best choice! I plan to live downtown/shockoe/something else near MCV and fun. Let me know if you come across any cool places and I'll do the same.

http://www.usca.vcu.edu/offcampus/housing/

Thanks.. yea i saw that place.. I have actually found 2 guys. Looking at apts now! We may need a 4th though if we choose this one place...
Thanks! Looking forward to meeting everyone, and the next four years.

I am also looking for a female roommate(s). I want to live in an apartment that has a backyard and would want to live with someone that is okay with dogs. I would be looking to move August 1.

Thanks.. yea i saw that place.. I have actually found 2 guys. Looking at apts now! We may need a 4th though if we choose this one place...
Thanks! Looking forward to meeting everyone, and the next four years.

Looking for a place is a full time job >.>

I'll be in Six North Sixth on 6th St. which is an 8-minute walk to campus (I did it one weekend while bored just to see). There are apartments available in my building as well as a few of the other buildings they own. www.shockoeproperties.com is the site where you can see if you are interested.

More and more people are looking at the fan these days though so it's up to you all.

Hey,
8 minute walk sounds mighty good...plus it ensures that I get my daily exercise:) I am highly interested and have some q's:
a) How much is the apartment that you got? b) 1 or 2 bedrooms? c) Whats included?
Thanks!

Does anyone know how easy it is to obtain in state residency in virginia? I have been an independent for at least 4 years in PA, however I will only be renting when I live in Richmond --- can't deal with house owning issues. Any advice would be appreciated!

DO you mean for the sake of getting in-state tuition? because that (from what my out of state friends say) is impossible... As far as renting an apartment, not sure why you have to be a Va resident...? But I believe you have to have a physical address in Va to go to dmv and have it switched, etc.

not sure if this helped at all... but wasn't sure what you were looking for.

Hey everyone,

Is anybody still looking for a (male) roommate? Plans kinda fell through for me and am now looking for a place to live for next year. If you know of anything, please let me know, thanks!

I too am looking for a place to stay. I have just began the search, and do not have any ideas or anything. So if anyone is looking for a male roommate or wants to go in on a search for a place, let me know.

cheers