VCU/MCV Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my acceptance letter this past Monday :D :D

I sent my $1000.00 deposite does anyone know if they send receipt to verify they recieved the deposite?

When I called VCU today, the woman I spoke to said that they'll send out some form of communication, which I think will say that they got the deposit. I'm not entirely sure what she said, since it wasn't my primary reason for calling. I mailed my deposit today, so I'll probably call on Monday or Tuesday just to make sure they got it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview to VCU on 11/21. I'm very nervous...and I haven't ever been to Richmond.

:-/

Keeping my fingers crossed!

I think most people are/were very anxious before the interview -- I know I was. I was convinced I'd be such a nervous wreck that I wouldn't be able to organize my thoughts enough to answer the questions. BUT, it turned out to be a great experience. All of the faculty and students were very friendly and tried to make everyone as relaxed as possible. As soon as I got there and felt the atmosphere, I felt so much better and knew I didn't have anything to worry about as far as nerves go. Just be friendly, enthusiastic, show that you're interested by asking questions. Try not to worry too much -- I was practically in a panic in the days leading up to the interview, but there really isn't too much to worry about as long as you're personable and you show them how interested you are. I would also suggest reading some of the old interview questions that have been posted -- I prepared a loose answer for each one of those and found that to be very helpful. Almost all of the questions I was asked in the interview appeared in those old posts.

Good luck!

Oh, and as for Richmond -- I love it. I was born and raised there, so it's home for me. It's a small city, but there's a good amount of things to do, cultural and otherwise. There are some nice shopping centers that aren't too far from campus, and there's always a million things to do outside, at the river or elsewhere. It's also pretty centrally located between the beach and mountains and DC.

When I called VCU today, the woman I spoke to said that they'll send out some form of communication, which I think will say that they got the deposit. I'm not entirely sure what she said, since it wasn't my primary reason for calling. I mailed my deposit today, so I'll probably call on Monday or Tuesday just to make sure they got it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance letter this past Monday :D :D

I sent my $1000.00 deposite does anyone know if they send receipt to verify they recieved the deposite?

$1000? My deposit was only $500. Anyone else only pay $500 for a deposit? That's what my letter said to send. I sent it Wednesday, but with Veteran's Day and all of the terrible weather lately, I'm not sure if it has gotten to VCU yet.

$1000? My deposit was only $500. Anyone else only pay $500 for a deposit? That's what my letter said to send. I sent it Wednesday, but with Veteran's Day and all of the terrible weather lately, I'm not sure if it has gotten to VCU yet.

Mine was only $500 too. Thanks for setting up the Facebook page. I just joined.

I am out-of-state. Are you in-state?

congrats to everyone that got in and good luck to those still waiting

can anyone expand on the written part of the interview?

Thank you

congrats to everyone that got in and good luck to those still waiting

can anyone expand on the written part of the interview?

Thank you

They give you 40 minutes to see how well you write a coherent short essay on paper (without the aid of grammar/spell check from a computer). There really isn't a right or wrong answer. My prompt was about overhearing about a friend/coworker of mine being fired and what I would do about it. I was really tempted to write about something random...maybe christopher columbus' three ships, how much i like asparagus, or something. As long as it makes sense, has no spelling errors, and is grammatically correct right? It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be! Concentrate more on the interviews! :luck:

Last edited:
They give you 40 minutes to see how well you write a cohesive short essay on paper (without the aid of grammar/spell check from a computer). There really isn't a right or wrong answer. My prompt was about overhearing about a friend/coworker of mine being fired and what I would do about it. I was really tempted to write about something random...maybe christopher columbus' three ships, how much i like asparagus, or something. As long as it makes sense, has no spelling errors, and is grammatically correct right? It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be! Concentrate more on the interviews! :luck:

Cool, thank you for the tips :thumbup:

I am out-of-state. Are you in-state?

Yea, I'm in-state. I'm surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that your deposit was twice the cost of mine.

And other people who are freaking out about the essay, don't worry at all. As many people have said, it is all about writing a page-long essay that is coherent and grammatically correct.

Oh, and no problem about setting up the facebook page!

I agree. The essay was not difficult. They give you a lot to work with so just try to address the situation in a methodical way and you will be fine. And this is coming from someone who extremely nervous that day.

Yea, I'm in-state. I'm surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that your deposit was twice the cost of mine.

And other people who are freaking out about the essay, don't worry at all. As many people have said, it is all about writing a page-long essay that is coherent and grammatically correct.

Oh, and no problem about setting up the facebook page!

Which part of Virginia you from? Can you tell me what areas are good for living close to campus? I visited westwood ave about 12 miles from the campus which seem really nice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Which part of Virginia you from? Can you tell me what areas are good for living close to campus? I visited westwood ave about 12 miles from the campus which seem really nice.

I live in Newport News now, but I grew up closer to Richmond. I also went to VCU (the Monroe Park campus) for one semester. I personally like the West End (especially Short Pump) more than the downtown Richmond area. The West End can be pricey, though. I'm actually hoping to buy a house in the West End. If I don't find a house there, I'm going to look in New Kent county, which is about 20-30 minutes away. I want to be close to the interstate to avoid all the traffic lights.

Thanks phamd2b2014

I can manage 15-20 min drive how bad is the traffic in the morning around the campus? Is it easy to find parking with pass?

Thanks phamd2b2014

I can manage 15-20 min drive how bad is the traffic in the morning around the campus? Is it easy to find parking with pass?

I'm really not sure about how bad traffic is around downtown Richmond in the morning. I went to the Monroe Park campus, which is completely different from the MCV campus. I know that finding parking was totally easy on the Monroe Park campus. I bought a parking pass for a deck and they didn't sell more passes for the deck than there were spots available. Also, you had to use a magnetic key card to get into the deck so its not like just anyone could park there. I would say that parking won't be an issue.

Those of you who already submitted the deposite did you guys get anything back yet? Any kind of conformation

from what i have heard, you won't be receiving any sort of confirmation of deposit. even if you were to receive a confirmation...your 2 weeks would have probably already pasted considering how slow information comes out of vcu.

I called VCU a couple weeks ago to ask the same thing -- how would we know if the deposit had been received by the school in time. The woman I spoke with told me that we wouldn't get any immediate confirmation, but they would be sending out another letter with more information in a few weeks or so. She told me just to call back to check, which I did, and they did get it in time. If you're wondering if they got it or not, I'd suggest checking your account to see if the check has been deposited yet. Mine has already been deposited by VCU, and it was posted to my account a few days ago.

My interview was on the day of PCAT for October, heard back after Thanksgiving that I was accepted.

I had not sent in LORs yet but they said I don't need to worry about it anymore. Did that happen to anyone???

Btw, interview is very relaxed, the interviewers don't have your grades or stats, just personal statement and your activities on paper, so don't worry about it and just relax! Talk like you're talking to your co-worker if that makes sense lol And the essay? If you were able to graduate high school, then you're fine lol

I was in-state, $500 deposit.

I received a letter in the mail with conformation of my deposit yesterday. They also sent immunization forms.

Hi everyone, I am a regular applicant and I went for my interview Nov 14, has anyone that went on this date heard anything back yet? I am sooooooooo anxious. This is crazy. :(

I had my interview on 11/21 and have not heard anything from the school either. I am so anxious.

Hey everyone, so my mother loves this school and I'm considering applying for early decision. I couldn't find info on their website though about when their app is due for ED and when the PCAT (latest PCAT) can be done. Does anyone have this info or a link? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance if you do :p

Hey everyone, so my mother loves this school and I'm considering applying for early decision. I couldn't find info on their website though about when their app is due for ED and when the PCAT (latest PCAT) can be done. Does anyone have this info or a link? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance if you do :p

I'm not sure if they will change if for Fall 2011 admissions, but for this application cycle the ED deadline was September 3rd. Just double check with PharmCAS next year. It shouldn't be much different, if at all. And the latest PCAT is the August one.

Does anyone who has been accepted mind posting their stats? I am trying to gain some insight if I am competitive enough for the school. Thanks!