VCU/MCV Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Strangely enough, there is no mention of when the white coat ceremony is except for on the convention center itinerary although there seems to be a wealth of (other) details. Is Aug 13th correct?

I think that's the correct date. It's on Thursday. It did say the plans online, though, are subject to change.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that a lot of the study software used during M1 only works on Windows, but I would strongly prefer buying a Mac. Have any current students tried to run some of the VCU software on a Mac using Parallels desktop? If so, have you had any problems?

I have a Mac. Parallels, VirtualBox, and Boot Camp all work great. The only PC software you have to use is really the gross anatomy stuff. Histology runs on both and is being converted to the web, and the neuroanatomy software is kinda useless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Have any of you OOS/West Coasters started looking for housing yet?

Is there any advice, tips or helpful hints that current students & Richmond natives can share with us? I'm going to be in the area next week and hope to start (and complete) the hunt :).

Anyone looking for housing for next Fall. I am good friends with an recent MCV medical school grad who owns a house in the Fan. He is looking for 4 medical school students. It is in a great location 1 block from Robinson on Stuart Avenue (PM me for the address). I lived there the first year in medical school and, before getting married. Has had medical school students or graduate students living there for the past 6 years. I am helping the owner out and showing it, so if you are coming to town PM me and I will get my contact information to you and we can set up a time to see the place.

Hey everyone,

Have any of you OOS/West Coasters started looking for housing yet?

Is there any advice, tips or helpful hints that current students & Richmond natives can share with us? I'm going to be in the area next week and hope to start (and complete) the hunt :).

Hey!! i just noticed that u went to uc irvine too, i think i know u...did u take D111L w/ Dr. McNulty over summer a couple years back?...if not, then just ignore this post :oops:

Hey All!

Anyone looking for a roommate still? Because I am! I'm from the West Coast

I have a Mac. Parallels, VirtualBox, and Boot Camp all work great. The only PC software you have to use is really the gross anatomy stuff. Histology runs on both and is being converted to the web, and the neuroanatomy software is kinda useless.

A bunch of us use mac. I run XP in bootcamp if I must. Really used it mostly for anatomy -you'll need those practice questions. I disagree about the neuro software. Some of the downloads literally had exam questions word for word.

i was wondering if you guys know how many m1ers in years past found temporary housing at the start of the year and then a permanent place to stay/roommate during the first few weeks of school and if you think its a good idea.

also how many of you first years are planning to do that this year. im coming from california and if there are lots of people doing the same it may be easier to find a roommate.

btw craigslist has a lot of things to choose from for finding a place to stay for anyone looking.

Are there lockers on the MCV campus for students to use?

Are there lockers on the MCV campus for students to use?

You are assigned a locker in the Egyptian Building to use during M1 and M2, and you get another locker outside of the anatomy lab during anatomy. Rumor has it that M3s are supposed to given lockers this year as well which is new.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current medical students use the VCU/MCV bus routes to get to school? I'm living off of Monument Avenue this year and wanted to see if I could save on parking since it seems like the lots closest to the school are going to be $126 per semester. If you know of any spots close by where I live that I could jump on, that'd be great. If not, if there's a website or somewhere I can get info, that'd work.

Any current medical students use the VCU/MCV bus routes to get to school? I'm living off of Monument Avenue this year and wanted to see if I could save on parking since it seems like the lots closest to the school are going to be $126 per semester. If you know of any spots close by where I live that I could jump on, that'd be great. If not, if there's a website or somewhere I can get info, that'd work.

http://www.ridegrtc.com/

I have some friends who took the bus for the first year or two. If you are off a major street like Broad or Monument it can work OK.

When does tuition need to be paid, the date specifically? It's by semester, I'm assuming. I heard that the first week of orientation will explain the process, but I just wanted a heads-up. Thanks.

Im wondering if anyone who knows the Richmond area could help me out. Im looking for apartments and found some in the Historic Manor, located from 100 to 500 West Cary. Does anyone happen to know if this is a safe area to live in. Ive read about how that area is not a good place to live but from roaming around on Google street view it looks pretty decent. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am still looking for a roommate to share a two bedroom apartment. I am a female starting M1 this fall and I am looking for another female graduate student. There are two bedrooms available at American Heritage and American tobacco Center. These are the two places that I found were the best from the apartments available. Please message me if you are interested ASAP. I am hoping to hold the apartment this week. Thanks.

Im wondering if anyone who knows the Richmond area could help me out. Im looking for apartments and found some in the Historic Manor, located from 100 to 500 West Cary. Does anyone happen to know if this is a safe area to live in. Ive read about how that area is not a good place to live but from roaming around on Google street view it looks pretty decent. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't believe that its the best area in Richmond but you want to ask around. My friend in undergrad lived on Grace st parallel to cary st in the same area and she had to move because of drug dealing going on outside her apartments. Keep in mind that the streets themselves differ sometimes. If you are looking near the undergrad campus look on the other side of Belvidiere st especially the fan.

Hi Everyone,

I have some questions.

1. Does anyone know if we will be shadowing doctors this coming autumn? I heard that the Preceptorship program is reduced for the M1s this year?

2. Can we choose the locations of the doctors we want to shadow? Are there any docs in the MCV campus we can shadow?

Thanks! I am trying to decide whether I need a car in the autumn.

1. Does anyone know if we will be shadowing doctors this coming autumn? I heard that the Preceptorship program is reduced for the M1s this year?

2. Can we choose the locations of the doctors we want to shadow? Are there any docs in the MCV campus we can shadow?

FCM is being scaled back, although this is not shadowing but rather an opportunity to develop your skills in history taking (and, later, physical exams). You do not choose the location of your FCM preceptor and many are some distance away. I would not say it is practical to go to MCV without a car.

In terms of shadowing random physicians outside of the curriculum to learn about their specialties, you should have no trouble doing this (except maybe in anesthesiology).

Hi Everyone,

I have some questions.

As far as I know, M1s will NOT have mandatory preceptor for FCM this fall. The idea as of the end of spring term was to have M2s in clinic in the fall, and M1s in the spring. But there was talk of optional shadowing of faculty offered more formally than had been done in the past. I see no reason why said optional stuff could not be done on campus.

But not having a car in Richmond is hard. It can be done, but it's hard.

When does tuition need to be paid, the date specifically? It's by semester, I'm assuming. I heard that the first week of orientation will explain the process, but I just wanted a heads-up. Thanks.

If you haven't set up your eID yet, now would be the time to do it. Log onto to VCU's financial aid, and look at your statement, there will be a due date on it. Our statements are handled through VCU's main financial aid page, rather than SOM having it's own website for statements.

Personally, I haven't the foggiest idea, we start M2 way before you guys show up.

I have friends who bus/bike to class. Sometimes getting a bus later in the PM was a hassle, but they could usually wrangle a ride if they wanted one. I don't have a parking pass, I just park a couple of blocks further out and park for free. The pay to park daily lot at the bottom of the hill is 2.50/day, if I'm lazy or carrying a bunch of crap, and the garage near the bookstore is 3.50 or free if you stay so late the attendants have gone home -which I used a lot during anatomy.

I know this thread is supposed to be for incoming M1s, but I had a question for the upperclassmen. Are there Oracles for M2 courses? I used Oracles a few times (mainly 2nd semester) during M1 and it helped reinforce points or highlight my weak areas. I think just doing questions helps me a lot. Thanks!

I know this thread is supposed to be for incoming M1s, but I had a question for the upperclassmen. Are there Oracles for M2 courses? I used Oracles a few times (mainly 2nd semester) during M1 and it helped reinforce points or highlight my weak areas. I think just doing questions helps me a lot. Thanks!

In short yes, there are. I got them but didn't use them at all during M2. They were more helpful for M1. There is also a Robbins questions book that you'll need to buy for boards-it has very good questions that Dr. C will tell you to do with each organ system.

Last edited:
If you haven't set up your eID yet, now would be the time to do it. Log onto to VCU's financial aid, and look at your statement, there will be a due date on it. Our statements are handled through VCU's main financial aid page, rather than SOM having it's own website for statements.

Personally, I haven't the foggiest idea, we start M2 way before you guys show up.

I looked into this, and there is no statement currently available. There is an option to pay, but as of yet there is no due date. :thumbup:

What do most of you M2s, M3s, etc. use for your internet and cable provider? I hear Comcast is popular. If you don't mind me asking, what do you pay per month for high-speed internet and standard cable, maybe as a package? I'm used to having these things already added into my rent so I don't see what they truly cost. I figure, though, they can add up fast.

What do most of you M2s, M3s, etc. use for your internet and cable provider? I hear Comcast is popular. If you don't mind me asking, what do you pay per month for high-speed internet and standard cable, maybe as a package? I'm used to having these things already added into my rent so I don't see what they truly cost. I figure, though, they can add up fast.

I had Comcast for 2 years, but I switched to Verizon on Monday because my internet was cutting out for about 20 minutes anywhere from 2-5 times per day. I suspect that was more an issue of where I live because when I had it in the apartment I lived in during M1 it was very reliable. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the breakdown is for the price. I was paying 120 for phone, internet, and cable through comcast. We're paying 140 now with verizon but that's phone, internet, cable, HD, DVR fees all rolled into one.

Welcome class of 2013!!! I am a third year student at LECOM in Erie, PA and a VCU grad who is also a student recruiter for the Army National Guard (2LT). I am currently on rotation in VA and if you are interested, I am happy to speak with you or send you information about stipends, commitments, etc. There are a lot of opportunities in the Army National Guard and you can get paid to go to school while supporting your fellow Americans!!! Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested!!!:)

Best wishes throughout your medical career!!!

Could someone please point me in the direction of a good vet? I know nka and some others mentioned owning dogs, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a healthy small breed dog that just needs yearly checkups and shots. Looking for someone reasonably priced, and I would be willing to travel anywhere in the Richmond area. Thanks in advance!

Could someone please point me in the direction of a good vet? I know nka and some others mentioned owning dogs, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a healthy small breed dog that just needs yearly checkups and shots. Looking for someone reasonably priced, and I would be willing to travel anywhere in the Richmond area. Thanks in advance!

I use Three Chopt Animal Clinic in the West End for my dogs and cats. I typically use Dr. Whitfield but I've also used Dr. Pelletier. I trust Dr. Whitfield enough that I still drive over there even though I no longer live in the west end.
http://www.threechoptanimalclinic.com/

I'm an M2 at MCV, and I've been trying to figure out a way to go car-free. I've decided that it's not going to be realistic for a couple of reasons:

- Preceptor this year is going to be out of busing and bicycling distance.
- I will need a car during the M3 year to get to the VA, and to other outpatient clinics during the FM rotation.

That said, if I were starting here and did not own a car, I wouldn't rush out to buy one right away. You *can* live in Richmond without a car, and I think relatively easy. You can make sure to rent an apartment within a reasonable walking distance of a grocery store, and you can rely on the bus system to get you to and from school. Once you find out where your preceptor is, you can determine if you need a car at that point. If your preceptor is at MCV, you're golden. You can defer purchasing a car until at least 2nd year, or maybe even 3rd year.

I don't really understand why people would suggest having no car in Richmond is difficult. The city is small, with the school, dining, nightlife, and shopping all within a relatively small radius. The bus system, while it doesn't run at all hours and has limited service on weekends, will get you to where you need to go. The school includes unlimited bus service in your fee, so it doesn't cost you anything additional. In those situations where you need to get somewhere quickly, there are taxis.

I use my car at the most once every two weeks to go to preceptor. The rest of the time, I walk, bike, or use transit. I'd love to get rid of my car as it's just a depreciating money sink that sits on the street doing nothing 95% of the time. For me, it'll probably have to wait until I get to NYC for residency, but I'm still trying to devise ways to get around the minor requirements I have for one here.

for any of you guys out there uncertain about the school health insurance, I just sent them proof that I was insured by email and they accepted it. my family already has a health plan, but its not a very comprehensive one with a lot of benefits and it was still accepted. i didnt compare it to the school one but my dad said we have a pretty low cost, low benefit plan. just letting people know in case someone needed some anecdotal evidence that you dont have to meet all the criteria listed by vcu for health insurance. you should email Marta Leiva/FS/VCU" <[email protected]>. Shes the one who takes care of it.

for any of you guys out there uncertain about the school health insurance, I just sent them proof that I was insured by email and they accepted it. my family already has a health plan, but its not a very comprehensive one with a lot of benefits and it was still accepted. i didnt compare it to the school one but my dad said we have a pretty low cost, low benefit plan. just letting people know in case someone needed some anecdotal evidence that you dont have to meet all the criteria listed by vcu for health insurance. you should email Marta Leiva/FS/VCU" <[email protected]>. Shes the one who takes care of it.

what did you email to her? i thought we had to have some kind of form from the insurance company.

first i sent her an outline of my benefits. i didnt compare these to the list. i just sent it and i doubt she read all of it. it was a lot of detail.

then she told me to send a copy of my health insurance card. i sent that and another form showing that i was under such and such plan with this insurance number and the date it was issued. and that was good enough for her apparently. all of the info i was able to get online from my health insurers website.

i cant guarantee she'll accept everyones plan, but judging from what others have said and my experience it doesnt seem like theyre too stringent.