VCOM vs. other DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rothgar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for those in the know....

Did anyone interview at VCOM *and* other osteo schools? How did VCOM stack up?

Did anyone choose VCOM over another school?

I've applied and should know sometime next week whether I'm interviewing there or whatnot.

Thanks in advance...

Rothgar

Members don't see this ad.

I turned down an interview at VCOM. I did this only because the school was new. Everything I have read about the school says it will be top notch. The facilities will be state-of-the-art and being associated with Va Tech is a huge plus. The area is beautiful as well. But mainly, I wanted something that was already tried and tested. I also wanted to be able to tap into the resource of second year students, which don't exist yet at VCOM. Also, you always take a risk at a non-accredited school. You would basically be the test case.

Now all that being said, would I have gone to VCOM if I didn't get into anywhere else? Hell Yeah! The chance is worth taking. Also, I would have been in the first interview group in the history of the school, so it meant that they had faith in me as a candidate. If they had gotten through with their provisional accreditation process earlier than November, I would probably be preparing to move to Blacksburg and not Kansas City.

Oh well... that's my $0.02

I was welcomed as the first group of applicants to ever set foot in the interview room at VCOM.

Very soon after my interview experience I came on these boards and wrote a 5 page dissertation on everything from the fact that the building was not completed to the excellent lunch they treated us to...

There is, however, the matter of the search engine in the forums not working...

when search becomes functional again search for "the real scoop on VCOM" or something to that effect, authored by me...

GOOD LUCK, if you can afford to visit (even with nibbles from others) I suggest doing it. I think they will knock your socks off. Definitely not a school for the light of heart, they are serious about being the best and I think that only students dedicated to setting a strong precedent of excellence will thrive...

GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, guys. :D It's really nice to hear from others who have been there.

From what I've already seen, they seem committed to building a top-notch program.

As soon as the search function is up, I'll look for your posts.

Anyone else?

Rothgar

Hi Homer:

I found your post regarding VCOM to be enlightening. Thank you for the thoughtful comments.

I've spoken with another person admitted there, and lemme tell you, she's sold on it, too! You're right - they really do seem to have their act together. I've been around really great leaders before (Marines), and I see the same sort of can-do, we're gonna kick ass attitude present at VCOM. Dean Rawlins must be one heck of a leader because it's trickled down to everyone at the school that I've spoken with, both students and staff.

BTW, I've got an invterview Monday, March 3rd. Here's hoping that we'll be classmates.