VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea I was shocked! VCOM NEVER closes! This is the first time they closed the school down since I started. It was fun playing outside in the snow haha

yea I was shocked! VCOM NEVER closes! This is the first time they closed the school down since I started. It was fun playing outside in the snow haha

That's awesome that you guys had a snow day. How much snow did you get? I heard if an inch falls down south then everything closes. Is that true? We got about ten inches up in MA and all the schools were closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe we had 11 inches! it was a pretty bad weekend! started friday night and it didnt stop till monday morning. I went outside and measured the height of snow on my car, it was 14 inches high! I took a picture...haha!

u know whats funny though, 75% of the ice melted today...haha

Just got an interview for March 23rd!! So excited, even though its late in the interview season... Can't wait! :D

made the difficult decision to withdraw this week, 1 more spot for yall

I was wondering if there is anybody who received a phone call from VCOM today with an acceptance? Has anybody heard anything? Thanks.

Any of you current students know of a really good health and life insurance policy to get for an individual?

Looks like we need to have one all figured out soon...

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/registrar/files/Health Insurance.pdf

Health Insurance---I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, but most of my colleagues have the insurance through SOMA(Student Osteopathic Medical Association) which is pretty affordable and covers you and your significant others, if any, pretty well. Blue cross blue shield costs me $145 monthly--individual rate. You can look at the SOMA insurance through their website...just google SOMA insurance.

Life insurance---there are hundreds/thousands of insurance companies out there that would love to have you. I have Ohio national life insurance (something like that)...i pay $110 annual.

hope this helps. Let me know if y'all got any more questions...

see some of u on student acceptance day...coming up soon

Hi
Has anyone called the vcom office lately ? and know how many seats left for the class of 2013? thanks much

Health Insurance---I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, but most of my colleagues have the insurance through SOMA(Student Osteopathic Medical Association) which is pretty affordable and covers you and your significant others, if any, pretty well. Blue cross blue shield costs me $145 monthly--individual rate. You can look at the SOMA insurance through their website...just google SOMA insurance.

Life insurance---there are hundreds/thousands of insurance companies out there that would love to have you. I have Ohio national life insurance (something like that)...i pay $110 annual.

hope this helps. Let me know if y'all got any more questions...

see some of u on student acceptance day...coming up soon

Thanks for the advice... time to start shopping around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
Has anyone called the vcom office lately ? and know how many seats left for the class of 2013? thanks much

well, students acceptance day is coming up in a week... i would assume by now that all seats are full...

however, not to discourage you, there will be some people withdrawing their seat comes the "change of mind" season, which is around April-July..."people got pulled of this waitlist and withdraw from this school" kinda deal...

if you make it on the top 10 waitlist, ur chances are good to be still accepted... but then again, dont quote me...i dont wanna get beaten up!

good luck

Thanks for the advice... time to start shopping around.

yeah no problem!

get started..the whole life/health insurance takes some time.... plus, VCOM is a stickler for timing...u got to turn in stuff on due date...

thanks so much for your advice :)

well, students acceptance day is coming up in a week... i would assume by now that all seats are full...

however, not to discourage you, there will be some people withdrawing their seat comes the "change of mind" season, which is around April-July..."people got pulled of this waitlist and withdraw from this school" kinda deal...

if you make it on the top 10 waitlist, ur chances are good to be still accepted... but then again, dont quote me...i dont wanna get beaten up!

good luck

For those who are interested, it looks like we have 177 people in our class so far according to the viewbook, out of 190 total spots. There's also an unknown number of outstanding offers of acceptance. So if any of you are interviewing soon or haven't heard back from VCOM, I hope this helps your waiting process.

what's the view book? is this something new that I dont know about?:oops:

You got Sarah and I got Neyha, hehe. I have an idea. . . how about you do an elective up here and I'll do one down there fourth year? ;)

Sounds good to me. I'd like to see how original PCOM does things. I've only had experience with PCOM-GA.

Hey what's up everyone...is anyone still planning on getting together the friday night before accepted students day? I got an e-mail about a "Mr. VCOM" event going on Friday night. What's everyone planning on doing?

Hey what's up everyone...is anyone still planning on getting together the friday night before accepted students day? I got an e-mail about a "Mr. VCOM" event going on Friday night. What's everyone planning on doing?

Yep! A bunch of us are definitely hanging out.

The Class of 2012 had mentioned plans for us, but we haven't heard anything as of Wednesday night.

So, for now, we are going to meet at the downtown Starbucks right next to the main VT campus and work it out from there. We will post on here if anything changes. Check Facebook too.

Hey all - Mallory (^) and I will be at the Starbucks across from VT at 5pm on Friday. So, if you want to get together, come on out and we can figure out a plan then.

Sorry for no formal plans - we were told that there would be some, but didn't hear back yet.

Hey all - Mallory (^) and I will be at the Starbucks across from VT at 5pm on Friday. So, if you want to get together, come on out and we can figure out a plan then.

Sorry for no formal plans - we were told that there would be some, but didn't hear back yet.

Hey that sounds awesome. My girlfriend and I will be there.

We're actually in Blacksburg tonight and are probably going to go out for dinner/drinks a bit later. Send me a private message if anyone else is planning on going out tonight.

hello everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I just decided not to accept the offer of admission for Fall 2009. So one more seat just opened up to all of those waiting. Take car and good luck.

I thought someone upthread said they interview until April. or was that a different thread i read that on?

I thought someone upthread said they interview until April. or was that a different thread i read that on?

usually, april interviews are for waitlisting....but then again it doesnt hurt to be on the waitlist if u dont have any other options open!

I wanted to let everyone that is still waiting for a decision to know that I withdrew my acceptance recently. So, there's another spot open for someone else. I hope an SDNer gets it!

This was a really hard decision to make because VCOM is awesome, but I found a school that fits me better. It was pretty sad, though, when I told Megan that I'm going to another school. Anyways, good luck to all of those still waiting!

At our Accepted Students Day event today, they announced that the class now has 185 students. Granted, there will still be some movement (as Gracie84 just posted), so don't give up if you've been waitlisted!

btw, how was students acceptance day? did you guys have fun meeting up each other...Were u surprised that somehow Megan remembered all your names :laugh: she got a strong memory!

by the first day of orientation, she will know everything about you. First and last name, hometown, and which undergrad school u went to....pretty impressive for 185 students...

good luck guys....enjoy ur summer :D

I wanted to let everyone that is still waiting for a decision to know that I withdrew my acceptance recently. So, there's another spot open for someone else. I hope an SDNer gets it!
How recently is "recently?" lol

At our Accepted Students Day event today, they announced that the class now has 185 students. Granted, there will still be some movement (as Gracie84 just posted), so don't give up if you've been waitlisted!
Really? At my interview on the 24th, I was told that there was still room.

I counted 177, too. I think a few more have turned in their deposits since that viewbook was published.

There might be if they're planning on a class of 190. I would guess that there's more than five people waiting to get in, which is why I mentioned the waitlist.

Hmmm...we shall see...

Last edited:
Hey, does anyone have the complete match lists for 2009 now that all three matches have taken place? I know they sent a list of the military and AOA matches, I was just wondering about the ACGME match too.

This was a really hard decision to make because VCOM is awesome, but I found a school that fits me better. It was pretty sad, though, when I told Megan that I'm going to another school. Anyways, good luck to all of those still waiting!

may i ask where are you going? u dont have to answer but i would like to know which school have u picked over vcom.

good luck to you in your future endeavors :thumbup:

may i ask where are you going? u dont have to answer but i would like to know which school have u picked over vcom.

good luck to you in your future endeavors :thumbup:

Sure. I'm going to DMU. I know that I or anyone else would receive a great education at VCOM (and it was really, really hard to turn VCOM down), but DMU is better for me. I still have a huge amount of respect for the school, and truth be known, I'm a little sad I'm not going there. But I know that I made the right decision for me.

Just wondering if anyone is considering buying a house up in Christiansburg or Blacksburg, or if any current VCOM students own homes.

Also, just wanted to say hello to all of my soon to be classmates!!!

GO VCOM 2013!!! :D

Does anyone know if the most recent residency match results are available somewhere? I already saw the military matches, but I'm looking for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.