VCOM-Carolinas Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tndoc12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We made it! This thread is for VCOM-Carolinas Class of 2015 who will matriculate during the Fall of 2011. Lets use this thread as an avenue to get to know each other as well as make housing arrangements and all that good jazz! Congrats everyone!

Here's a link to our very own facebook group!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi! looking forward to starting school in the fall! i know nothing about spartanburg and need to begin looking for a room/roommate. any ideas out there? i'm just excited to be going south... this snow crap up in PA is getting old.

I'm excited to talk to other people who have been accepted to VCOM-CC! Can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance at 8:45 this morning I am so excited to meet everyone.

Im excited and a bit nervous honestly...hope I'm ready to study hardcore. I only spent a day in spartanburg...it seems like a really small town lol...I'm used to the diversity of big cities and just having that busy vibe but I supppose it will grow on me eventually :)

I'm neither a DO nor started at VCOM-Carolinas, but I did grow up in Spartanburg and would be glad to answer any questions y'all may have about the town itself.

Also, your school picked up my alma mater's best anatomy professor starting in the fall - you have no idea how lucky you are for that.

I'm neither a DO nor started at VCOM-Carolinas, but I did grow up in Spartanburg and would be glad to answer any questions y'all may have about the town itself.

Also, your school picked up my alma mater's best anatHpw isomy professor starting in the fall - you have no idea how lucky you are for that.

Does the city of one's medical school really matter much?? I feel like we will be so v busy with classes that any time off no matter how small the town will be pleasurable...I'm a little scared about moving down to the deep south honestly...I've been living in LA for the part three months and have become kind of a big city lover. I do think ill visit charlotte and atlanta a good amount tho....I'm all about proving medicine to the undeserved in nc...but I still want to live in a cool place while I'm still young lol. I was thinking I could do my rotations in california or miami, but I think vcom wouldn't allow that until the end of 4th year. To be frank, as a minority I.felt a little out of place in south carolina and was getting worried how well I would fit in a culture I'm not so familiar with lol

Also, your school picked up my alma mater's best anatomy professor starting in the fall - you have no idea how lucky you are for that.

How is the anatomy professor?

Does the city of one's medical school really matter much?? I feel like we will be so v busy with classes that any time off no matter how small the town will be pleasurable...I'm a little scared about moving down to the deep south honestly...I've been living in LA for the part three months and have become kind of a big city lover. I do think ill visit charlotte and atlanta a good amount tho....I'm all about proving medicine to the undeserved in nc...but I still want to live in a cool place while I'm still young lol. I was thinking I could do my rotations in california or miami, but I think vcom wouldn't allow that until the end of 4th year. To be frank, as a minority I.felt a little out of place in south carolina and was getting worried how well I would fit in a culture I'm not so familiar with lol

You're correct in that any time off is going to be nice, but having time off somewhere you enjoy is even better. During my first year of school, I really didn't care much for the city where I went to school and as a result most of my free time was spent at home or leaving the city. During second year, I came to really like where I was, and so time off meant going out and enjoying what the city had to offer. I think the second approach is the superior one.

Generally speaking, southerners are a pretty pleasant group. The whole Southern Hospitality stereotype had to start somewhere. That said, I wish I could say that we had erased all of our racist leanings. But, I suspect it isn't as bad as many people fear when moving here. Also, and this is going to sound bad, but each minority group will be treated differently by the types of people who care about such things. That will be offset some when you consider that most med students won't likely frequent the more rural types of places where such sentiment is strongest.

If worse comes to worse, Greenville is only 30 minutes away and its a very nice place (I'm moving there in 2 weeks).

You're correct in that any time off is going to be nice, but having time off somewhere you enjoy is even better. During my first year of school, I really didn't care much for the city where I went to school and as a result most of my free time was spent at home or leaving the city. During second year, I came to really like where I was, and so time off meant going out and enjoying what the city had to offer. I think the second approach is the superior one.

Generally speaking, southerners are a pretty pleasant group. The whole Southern Hospitality stereotype had to start somewhere. That said, I wish I could say that we had erased all of our racist leanings. But, I suspect it isn't as bad as many people fear when moving here. Also, and this is going to sound bad, but each minority group will be treated differently by the types of people who care about such things. That will be offset some when you consider that most med students won't likely frequent the more rural types of places where such sentiment is strongest.

If worse comes to worse, Greenville is only 30 minutes away and its a very nice place (I'm moving there in 2 weeks).

i have no problem with southern folk...i love them, they are so nice... i mean i can't i grew up in a southern metropolitan city..i say "yall" and i drink sweat tea too lol, the south is a part of me. I was just ready for a change. I'm sure i will meet tons of great students, everyone already seems so nice and relaxed so i think i'll be alright :)
thanks for the advice tho :oops: