This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I had prior email and phone correspondence with Sheila who specifically stated that my application was complete and in the pile for review. As for the error, I would rather not disclose for purposes of anonymity (in the off chance that someone from the MABS admissions team is browsing through these forums and this error was unique to my case only). You can send me a PM and I can disclose there if you would like.
I understand, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question to the people who have already been accepted.

I didn't realize that the matriculation requirements letter stated that I should start the background check application at the time of tuition deposit. I submitted my background check application 3 days after I made the $500 deposit. I wonder if this is going to be a problem. Any insight? How did everyone else do it?

This is a question to the people who have already been accepted.

I didn't realize that the matriculation requirements letter stated that I should start the background check application at the time of tuition deposit. I submitted my background check application 3 days after I made the $500 deposit. I wonder if this is going to be a problem. Any insight? How did everyone else do it?

Lets be honest. Who cares? Not to be abrasive or demeaning but that is the least of your worries. Trust me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think calling to check on the status of your application is fine as long as it’s not constantly. I called maybe 4-5 times throughout the application cycle for various reasons and Shiela always seemed really happy to help and provide updates. Also, for those that are waiting and checking, apparently the person who sends out the MyBC emails is out this week and I was told that they’ll prob be sending more out in about a week. Seems like they are going through apps reasonably quickly now though. Good luck to everyone

Reactions: 1 users
Lets be honest. Who cares? Not to be abrasive or demeaning but that is the least of your worries. Trust me!
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by this being the least of my worries.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by this being the least of my worries.

You have to:
1) $500 dollar payment to make
2) $64 background check
3) Immunizations (including TB, any boosters, and two hep titers) and health physical from your physician (that's if you don't test non-immune for hep B and have to start the series with titer over again)
4) Fill our two fasfas (2015 and 2016 hoping verification is not in your future and if you are married, I hope your significant other kept up with their tax documents)
5) Find a place to live that is affordable (within your defined limits), pack, move, hope you didn't forget anything
6) Find an insurance plan that meets the schools requirements and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (but if you a kiddo, you win this round)
7) Find a laptop that fits within the schools requirements
8) Keep up with the deadlines otherwise you lose your seat
9) Try not to break the bank
10) Not forget to give your momma something special for mothers day because without her you wouldn't be worrying about submitting your background check 3 days after you submitted your deposit.

I hope my point is rather clear, but if not let me explain another way. In the grand scheme of things, your worry is a grain of sand on the beach of matriculation. In no way, shape, form, or fashion am I complaining about what we have to do the reasons being obvious. No reason to sweat the small stuff! You are good my friend.

Our class finished our last lectures yesterday and we just have some tests left next week. I imagine with us wrapped up by next week, you'll see progress on applications going even faster.

You have to:
1) $500 dollar payment to make
2) $64 background check
3) Immunizations (including TB, any boosters, and two hep titers) and health physical from your physician (that's if you don't test non-immune for hep B and have to start the series with titer over again)
4) Fill our two fasfas (2015 and 2016 hoping verification is not in your future and if you are married, I hope your significant other kept up with their tax documents)
5) Find a place to live that is affordable (within your defined limits), pack, move, hope you didn't forget anything
6) Find an insurance plan that meets the schools requirements and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (but if you a kiddo, you win this round)
7) Find a laptop that fits within the schools requirements
8) Keep up with the deadlines otherwise you lose your seat
9) Try not to break the bank
10) Not forget to give your momma something special for mothers day because without her you wouldn't be worrying about submitting your background check 3 days after you submitted your deposit.

I hope my point is rather clear, but if not let me explain another way. In the grand scheme of things, your worry is a grain of sand on the beach of matriculation. In no way, shape, form, or fashion am I complaining about what we have to do the reasons being obvious. No reason to sweat the small stuff! You are good my friend.
Thanks for the long and detailed response my friend. You just had me worried that I did something wrong. From now on I'll refer to this detailed list of things that need to be done :)

Just curious about this point - why do we fill out FAFSAs for 2015 and 2016?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, just seems weird. lol

Just curious about this point - why do we fill out FAFSAs for 2015 and 2016?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, just seems weird. lol
Financial aid requested two fasfas from me using 2015 and 2016 tax information. Idk why, but they did. So I just got it done, if that makes any since.

For those of you in the program, how are you paying for living expenses?

For those of you in the program, how are you paying for living expenses?
I talked to the Bluefield financial aid representative a couple of days ago and she said that FAFSA would only give us $23000 of loan. For the rest, we have to apply for a graduate plus loan. It seems there is a different application for that. I haven't done the graduate plus loan application yet, but I assume that we would have to get the living expenses from the graduate plus loan. The link below has some great info on Graduate plus loan.

Grad PLUS Loans - Apply, Credit, and Fees | Edvisors

I talked to the Bluefield financial aid representative a couple of days ago and she said that FAFSA would only give us $23000 of loan. For the rest, we have to apply for a graduate plus loan. It seems there is a different application for that. I haven't done the graduate plus loan application yet, but I assume that we would have to get the living expenses from the graduate plus loan. The link below has some great info on Graduate plus loan.

Grad PLUS Loans - Apply, Credit, and Fees | Edvisors
So I thought that loan only covered what was left of the program, not cost of living.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I thought that loan only covered what was left of the program, not cost of living.
It covers the full cost of attendance which includes tuition, books, supplies, equipment, transportation, room and board, and miscellaneous personal expenses.

It covers the full cost of attendance which includes tuition, books, supplies, equipment, transportation, room and board, and miscellaneous personal expenses.

Where do you find the cost of attendance? I found last years but having trouble finding the COA for this year

Loans definitely cover everything. You don’t want a job in this program lol. Since you have federal loans, the grad plus loan is probably what you guys will use. They should have given more info for you guys, but I imagine the transition for them is confusing for them too.

How are my stats to get accepted in this program?
Cgpa-3.4
Sgpa-3.1
Mcat- 501
Above average ECs

No I haven’t but I might apply next year if my mcat doesn’t approve after I aggressively study for it over the summer

Gotcha. You’re in line with most people in our program.

Accepted. Transferred D.O. application in early March. sGPA 3.78 cGPA 3.75 495 MCAT. 5k hours EMS. I will be attending if I do not get off the waitlist for another DO school.

Reactions: 5 users
Did you find out via email or did you receive a letter in the mail? I have similar stats to you so I'm hoping to get in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Accepted! Can someone post the link to the facebook page?

Did you find out via email or did you receive a letter in the mail? I have similar stats to you so I'm hoping to get in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

I haven't gotten anything yet. I inquired about my status through email, and I was told of my acceptance. I also know of another person that inquired today and was also notified of their acceptance. I would say more acceptances are going out. She said an email should be coming soon with a Bluefield login.

I haven't gotten anything yet. I inquired about my status through email, and I was told of my acceptance. I also know of another person that inquired today and was also notified of their acceptance. I would say more acceptances are going out. She said an email should be coming soon with a Bluefield login.
Oh ok I see. Well congrats on this awesome opportunity. I also transferred my application, but I think I did it at the end of March or early April, I cant remember exactly. Hopefully I hear something soon.

What exactly did u say in your email. I want to call or email them too but feel maybe i should wait

Oh ok I see. Well congrats on this awesome opportunity. I also transferred my application, but I think I did it at the end of March or early April, I cant remember exactly. Hopefully I hear something soon.
I also transferred at that time. Do you plan to email them like others have?

To confirm, you emailed Sheila directly? What was the TAT for the response?

Accepted!

D.O. Application transferred the beginning of March, notified by email

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Verified Feb 8. MCAT 495 cGPA 3.55 sGPA 3.5 Sheila just called me back answering my question as to whether or not there were any problems with my application and let me know that I was offered admission!

Reactions: 2 users
This question if for students who are currently or have taken the program.

I know it may be different this year with all the changes, but as a admitted student, I am curious about the layout of the classes. Are their certain subjects for certain days? What time do you normally end class each day? Are the exams reflective of the content taught in class?

Thanks in advance!

This question if for students who are currently or have taken the program.

I know it may be different this year with all the changes, but as a admitted student, I am curious about the layout of the classes. Are their certain subjects for certain days? What time do you normally end class each day? Are the exams reflective of the content taught in class?

Thanks in advance!

Each day has various subjects usually, usually 2-3 ranging from 1-2 hours. Most days we are done by noon, but there are many days where we have to come back after lunch. They try to keep those to a minimum.

Their intent is definitely to keep the exams reflective of what is taught in class. The degree of the success of this is dependent on the instructor, but most do a pretty good job of “if it’s not in the PowerPoint, it’s not on the test”.

After our last test on Friday, I’ll be making a sort of “how to dominate this program” guide with all the materials I used (including premade Anki decks) and pitfalls that I made that can be avoided. This will be something like 12,000 flash cards or so. It will also detail each class and strategies to do well.

Reactions: 5 users
Each day has various subjects usually, usually 2-3 ranging from 1-2 hours. Most days we are done by noon, but there are many days where we have to come back after lunch. They try to keep those to a minimum.

Their intent is definitely to keep the exams reflective of what is taught in class. The degree of the success of this is dependent on the instructor, but most do a pretty good job of “if it’s not in the PowerPoint, it’s not on the test”.

After our last test on Friday, I’ll be making a sort of “how to dominate this program” guide with all the materials I used (including premade Anki decks) and pitfalls that I made that can be avoided. This will be something like 12,000 flash cards or so. It will also detail each class and strategies to do well.

Thanks so much for the quick response! That would be awesome to get your insight on the classes after you finish on Friday. Btw, good luck on your test!! :)

Thanks so much for the quick response! That would be awesome to get your insight on the classes after you finish on Friday. Btw, good luck on your test!! :)

You’re welcome. It would have been very nice if there was better information on how to succeed in this program. They really encourage finding your own method, but honestly with the method I’m using, I’ve never had more free time in my life. “Study smarter, not harder” taken to the extreme. ;)

And thanks for the luck. They left us a doozy for the last one.

Hello everyone, so i was told that they look at the last 120 credits of your GPA when calculating the overall and science. Do anyone know if they calculate the science GPA within the last 120 credits or do they calculate the science GPA with 120 science credits?

Hello everyone, so i was told that they look at the last 120 credits of your GPA when calculating the overall and science. Do anyone know if they calculate the science GPA within the last 120 credits or do they calculate the science GPA with 120 science credits?
Good question. I want to piggy-back off your question, and add, is this specific to direct applications and/or DO transfers? I would assume they want to calculate all applicants, transfer or not, in a uniform manner. I just wonder if they do since the DO transfers, essentially have calculated GPAs via AACOMAS already...

Good question. I want to piggy-back off your question, and add, is this specific to direct applications and/or DO transfers? I would assume they want to calculate all applicants, transfer or not, in a uniform manner. I just wonder if they do since the DO transfers, essentially have calculated GPAs via AACOMAS already...
Direct, those that applied to postbaccas

Haven’t yet. :( honestly, I just want to hear something back already, even if it is a rejection. The wait is killing me.
I second that. I know we may have only transferred our apps late March, but I applied via AACOMAS June ‘17. It will be such a relief to finally know!! Hang in there! I think if I don’t hear anything by next week, I’ll send an email. I’ll keep you posted!

I second that. I know we may have only transferred our apps late March, but I applied via AACOMAS June ‘17. It will be such a relief to finally know!! Hang in there! I think if I don’t hear anything by next week, I’ll send an email. I’ll keep you posted!

Thank you! I sent her an email a week ago, but no response.

I emailed Sheila two weeks ago regarding my application (I transferred my DO app late March or early April, I cant remember exactly) and she told me that my application would be reviewed in about 4-6 weeks. So going off from what you said, we might hear something maybe in two weeks time, but I do hope its sooner though.