Vanderbilt vs Michigan vs UVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs764

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vanderbilt

Pros:
  • Highly ranked
  • 1 year preclinical curriculum
  • Small class size
  • Shade Tree clinic - definitely the best student run clinic I've come across
  • Great anatomy lab and opening a brand new med school building this year
  • Great for neuro
  • Nashville is very diverse city and is growing more so
  • Close to family
  • I went to undergrad in Nashville and still have friends there - since I will be an older, nontrad med student, this is very attractive to me
  • I already know I love the city and it would be the easiest adjustment for me
Cons:
  • All the hospitals are centered in the same area, so I don't know how well they reach the broader Nashville population
  • Vandy sports suck
  • Was offered the least tuition assistance - will end up paying ~320K total to go here
Michigan

Pros:
  • Highest ranked school of these three
  • 1 year preclinical curriculum
  • Great for neuro and public health, two of my interests
  • Start getting clinical experience your first year with the Interprofessional Clinical Experience
  • Flexible exam-taking system
  • Got about half tuition in scholarships so will be paying about 210K total
  • Faculty seem awesome and students seem super happy
  • Michigan football
Cons:
  • Far from friends and family
  • Class size is big - don't know how easily I will find my place there
  • I know I will hate their winters and don't necessarily love Michigan as a place
  • I want to match into a program in the South so I don't know if going to school in the Midwest will make that harder
UVA

Pros:
  • The NexGen curriculum - really love the small group, interactive learning aspect
  • Have a growing refugee population that I would love to work with
  • Opportunity to do summer research at NIH
  • Closest to family
  • I'm from southern Virginia and like the idea of working with the VA population
  • Love the area - Virginia wine country is beautiful, lots of outdoor activities, and Charlottesville has a great food and craft beer scene
  • Lowest cost of living
  • Most financial aid - would pay about 160K total
  • UVA basketball
Cons:
  • 1.5 year preclinical - still good but I think I'd like the 1 year better
  • Lowest ranked of these schools
  • Charlottesville is great but is definitely small, and I don't know if I'd get bored or feel out of place there
  • I don't think the facilities are quite as new or nice as they are at Vandy and Michigan
  • Probably not great if I decide to go into academic medicine, which I'm not sure if I'll want to or not

I know I have more pros for Vanderbilt, but that is the only second look I was able to go to, so it is fresher in my mind. It was my top choice initially but I am reconsidering after being offered the least tuition assistance there. I got great impressions from the faculty and students at all three places. I'm primarily interested in neuro and GI, as well as public health and global health. I'm really torn so I'd love any/all input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like your heart is in the South. As a Michigan med student, though, I’d be happy to give you any additional info that might help your decision one way or the other. PM me if interested!

Reactions: 1 user